Work started on extending the Ashby...!

larrysanders

Featured Posts

I recently read in Waterways World that work's started on extending the Ashby Canal at Snarestone. The first stage will extend the Ashby by 100 yards. Anyone know how long before the rest of the work starts to Measham - which is the next stage I presume?

I recently read in Waterways World that work's started on extending the Ashby Canal at Snarestone. The first stage will extend the Ashby by 100 yards. Anyone know how long before the rest of the work starts to Measham - which is the next stage I presume?

They'll be doing it in stages I think

First hundred yards, then the next 50 yards, then 25 yards, then 12.5 yards and so on!

Are the doing it the old fashioned way by pick and shovel?

To be serious I was puzzled why it was being extended by 100 yards I couldn't work out the significance or reason for for such a short extension?

Mind you I don't want to knock them as any extension to one of my favorite canals is a step in the right direction. It will be great when it gets to Measham as I think/hope that it will feel more of a destination then rather than the abrupt full stop the terminus feels now.

I was speaking to the chap who runs the gift shop 'the shed' at the terminus.. he said they'd had problems with local farmers and land purchases. maybe this delayed things.. or maybe it's down to the cost....!??! Will we ever see it connect to Conkers...? :lol:

"I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles! My Mammy!" (Al Jolson)

"Walking back to happiness, woopah oh yeah yea" (Helen Shapiro)

Richard

(Yay, yay, yay, yay ba dum be do)

Edited by RLWP

Are the doing it the old fashioned way by pick and shovel?

To be serious I was puzzled why it was being extended by 100 yards I couldn't work out the significance or reason for for such a short extension?

Mind you I don't want to knock them as any extension to one of my favorite canals is a step in the right direction. It will be great when it gets to Measham as I think/hope that it will feel more of a destination then rather than the abrupt full stop the terminus feels now.

I do agree, I cant understand why 100 yards (or 100metres in the offical reports), its just a huge anti-climax. Surely it is better to wait until they can raise more money and actually get much more mileage, for instance the full distance to Ilott Wharf, where the last coal boats worked from. I expect they have to the build the mini-extension in order to qualify for further funding criteria?

I found a pdf report on the extension which is of interest:

http://measham.leicestershireparishcouncil...businesssum.pdf

"I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles! My Mammy!" (Al Jolson)

"I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles! My Mammy!"

Sam Lewis; Joe Young; Walter Donaldson

Credit where it's due :lol:

Edited by Bridget

Oh well if we're getting pedantic then surely

A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step

is a quote from the Tao Te Ching which is attributed to Laozi and not Confucious.

Of course in the original it was Li not miles which were probably nearer half kilometers...........................

POP [sound of Grasshopper diappearing up his own fundament]

"I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles! My Mammy!"

Sam Lewis; Joe Young; Walter Donaldson

Credit where it's due :lol:

"I wouldn't walk a million miles, or bus it, just to see the stains....." (that's enough of that - ed.)

Richard Butler.