Radio-controlled models on canals?

kilravock

Featured Posts

It may seem a strange question (and forgive me if this isn't 100% the right forum, as I wasn't sure) but are small radio-controlled model boats allowed on the canals? I can't find anything in the Inland Waterways rules to say otherwise. Clearly, I'm thinking of small models being used in a responsible way - i.e. not plowing into fishermen or otherwise disturbing or causing nuisance? If anyone could let me know where the rules stand on this, please let me know. Many Thanks.

I'm not sure what the "chapter and verse" is on this, but I can't see why anyone would have a problem with it.

I've often wondered why I never see anyone on the cut with model boats. I guess access is the key issue. If you're using an r/c boat on a pond or lake and lose control, it's normally possible to get all round the edge of the water to retrieve the boat - albeit with some wading in the mud and reeds from time to time! On a canal you could be miles from the nearest bridge, and the land on the non-towpath side might be private, so it could be very difficult. In general the only places with access on both sides and plenty of crossing points are some of the short pounds on lock flights, but here the flow will be quite strong whenever a lock paddle is opened, and they're sometimes quite busy, so be careful! A basin might be a better bet, but if anyone is 'in residence' it might pay to ask them if it's ok, just out of courtesy.

Hi, my son takes his r/c boat with us when he comes on the boat and we have never had any complaints. Of course he is careful not to annoy anyone near, but I really cant see why there should be a problem.

Of course there will be a couple of spoilsports on this forum that will disagree with me tho`. :lol:

I'm not sure what the "chapter and verse" is on this, but I can't see why anyone would have a problem with it.

I've often wondered why I never see anyone on the cut with model boats. I guess access is the key issue. If you're using an r/c boat on a pond or lake and lose control, it's normally possible to get all round the edge of the water to retrieve the boat - albeit with some wading in the mud and reeds from time to time! On a canal you could be miles from the nearest bridge, and the land on the non-towpath side might be private, so it could be very difficult. In general the only places with access on both sides and plenty of crossing points are some of the short pounds on lock flights, but here the flow will be quite strong whenever a lock paddle is opened, and they're sometimes quite busy, so be careful! A basin might be a better bet, but if anyone is 'in residence' it might pay to ask them if it's ok, just out of courtesy.

absolutely.

there are very few places where you can use your model boat and always have access when it gets stuck, goes out of control, etc.

canals are not one of them, unless you use a dinghy.

I have seen them quite often infact there are a group that seem to meet most evening in the summer evenings just by the Anderton Lift

I've used mine on the Oxford at Napton before now, I overtook an NB with it. My wife then buried it in the far bank, I then had to wait for another boat to come along to float it free.

It's also been on the Thames at Shepperton (where I bought it) and the River Wey. Never had any complaints...but I generally go to quite spots or place large enough to stay out of the way.

My boys used to be members of our local r/c boat club and we were told that we could use it on any water that we had public access to.

There is the obvious (and previously stated) problem of accessing the beached craft from the non-towpath side but I don't see any reasons not to be using them from the towpath.

I don't see the nuisance side of things is really no different to any other user of the towpath