Single Tub Washing machines (£80)

Scotty D

Featured Posts

Well, I picked up my £47 eBay bargain yesterday - it looks just fine! I'll try the shower idea - it seems the best place to use it.

I'd like to try eco balls too - to save rinsing. Where do you buy them?

Stickleback

Personally I think Eco-balls are all about pummelling the clothes in a front-loader washing machine (hence why some claim they do a good job), so probably wouldn't be as effective in a top-loader, plus from experience, having solid things in the twintub is really bad for the agitator, as the screw that holds it in place comes loose when whatever is floating loose bashes into the agitator and off comes the agitator mid-wash, not fun trying to fix I can tell you!!! :lol:

Personally I think Eco-balls are all about pummelling the clothes in a front-loader washing machine (hence why some claim they do a good job), so probably wouldn't be as effective in a top-loader, plus from experience, having solid things in the twintub is really bad for the agitator, as the screw that holds it in place comes loose when whatever is floating loose bashes into the agitator and off comes the agitator mid-wash, not fun trying to fix I can tell you!!! :lol:

Good advice - I'll stick to conventional stuff - but less of it!

Ive squeezed a standard domestic washer/dryer in my boat. its great.

it works on a 30 wash with my 2kw honda gennie. its also works off my engine travel power (when its working) each two weeks, i cruise and wash.

making sure i spin the washing on the fastest speed setting is a must to make sure everything dries quickly.

the main important thing i have found to make drying faster is the spin. hand washing is fine, but make sure theres a decent spin to get those clothes as free of water as possible. i rarely use my dryer part of the machine i have, clothes dry over night in winter as my stove does the job perfectly and in the summer i hang them outside on a clothes thingy. open the windows to let the moisture out, crank up the stove with some free wood... jobs a good un.

we do at least one wash each 2 weeks. two people, one working on a building site, another cycling to work everyday and sitting in an office. we have our fair share of dirty clothes. on a 30 wash our machine uses very little water. on a quick wash freshen up, even less.

ive recently been forced to use launderettes, the BW one at limehouse is 1.50 a wash, but bw have now closed the facilities to the public and are only available for marina people.

im interested to know how people get on with the little twin tubs as my next boat probably wont have space for a proper washing machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just to echo the positives of the twin washer...I've had it a couple of weeks now, had lots to catch up on, have been washing incessantly and all is going well, just like everyone else says.

Really easy to use, gets stuff clean, can re-use the water (I use a ridiculously small amount of water to wash; brilliant!), and the spin function really does mostly dry the clothes, couple of hours hung out and things are dry (9 large windows around lounge- broads cruiser- super heats in sunshine)

I notice too much clothes makes the agitator struggle and would probably burn the motor out, and non centralised clothing makes the spin not work....once I sussed those two out...it's been great....now lets see how durable it is!

Thanks for all you help gang; another one solved.

Stickleback....I reckon a quicker option is to gett he manfuacturers to send you one out, or the seller. I'll not get time to scan things at work for ages!

Hi Scotty, just wondering which model you went for in the end - after your report and the other thread I'm thinking of getting one myself!

As far as I know, there's only one model of portable twintub, under a few brands (even Argos sells them in their catalogue!!! Too expensive though...), so if you can, get the cheapest one as they're all the same thing... :lol:

Edited by twocvbloke

Well, I picked up my £47 eBay bargain yesterday - it looks just fine! I'll try the shower idea - it seems the best place to use it.

I'd like to try eco balls too - to save rinsing. Where do you buy them?

Stickleback

I can beat that, Had a new one in boot from Argos £89.99. BUT went to Wilton and there was a 2nd had one used 5 times, being sold as boat was for sale, Got it for £45 with a 6 month guarantee, from the chandlery shop, so took argos one back and got a full refund. I have been using it today, its brilliant, washes really well, just don't over load it. It is standing on a plastic box in the bath while in use filled from the shower, and an odd kettle of boiled water, I have refilled it with clean water a couple of times, as we had a huge pile of washing, and it fits behind the panel on the trad deck when finished with.

Mary1

• 2 months later...

Hello

Im currently thinking about my washing needs on the boat im fitting out and thought id revive this thread wondering how you folks with the small twin tubs are getting on. its been a few months since the last post so maybe theyve been through some more regular use, or else fallen apart.

im wondering how they cope with towels/ bed sheets and the like?

I have limited space and like the idea of having a small washer, hanging up small amounts at a time.

cheers me dears.

• 1 month later...
We have a table top Hinari single tub. I used one for 2 years living in a flat with tiny kitchen and bathroom and no room for a washing machine. They work fine and are very reliable ie simple. The only problem is drying the clothes. I used to put the tub in an empty bath tub, remove clothes ring out and hang over the bath to drip dry.

On the boat we think this is going to be a bit of a pain, so when i saw these twin tubs we were converted so will be buying one.

It's quite good on energy consumption and you don't have to spin clothes for long to get them managable enough for hanging up. Not sure what to do with the Hinari now LOL back up maybe or e-bay LOL

http://www.towsure.com/product/9620-Twin

Works very well, when on my own I would do washing every other day enough to keep me going in work gear.

Works for us LOL

I bought the twin tub from towsure.cycle only takes 15 minutes.then 15 for the rinse and 3 for the spin.well pleased with the results.a neighbour,s had one for 3 years.no problems