PRIVATE HIRE WANTED

heyjude999

Featured Posts

Hi,

I am looking for a 3 or 4 day break on a narrowboat over this coming Easter.

I would prefer private hire over the often over inflated 'company' prices, plus I need to save every penny for the purchase of my own boat. I am hoping this trip will enable us to stay focussed on this.

Prepared to consider any canal, we live in Derbyshire.

If you know anyone who can help please pass this on.

Kind regards

Hi,

I would prefer private hire over the often over inflated 'company' prices, plus I need to save every penny for the purchase of my own boat. I am hoping this trip will enable us to stay focussed on this.

Kind regards

Here we go again. is this a joke?

Martyn

Here we go again. is this a joke?

Martyn

Sorry I do not get it, why would it be a joke?

I am 100% genuine, if you are in some ay implying some thing about Que Sera Sera I actually hired that boat at Xmas and as the owners will testify returned it promptly with no damage.

During the hire we kept in touch and they made our holidaqy one we will never forget, they were fantastic.

If you are implying something else then I would like to know what your implication means.

I have a BW mooring and no boat I wish to enjoy the canals till mine gets here and have with the permission of BW let someone use my mooring to help them out. Ask the member on here Odana.

Your response would be appreciated.

if you are in some ay implying some thing about Que Sera Sera I actually hired that boat at Xmas..............................

The way it's starting to look, you might be the last independent sighting of Que Sera Sera, then. :lol:

To answer your original question, very, very few of us private boat owners could legitimately hire you our narrowboat for reward.

The requirements to do so include....

1) Different and much more expensive craft licence.

2) More stringent BSS (boat safety scheme) regs.

3) Normal insurance wouldn't cover.

I don't know how organisations like "Distinctive Charters" mentioned in the QSS thread circumvent this, but for most private owners, hiring out is not an option.

Undoubtedly many boats are hired out for cash which should not be, and where the insurers would probably refuse payment if anything went wrong.

You don't say if you used Distinctive Charters, or a direct arrangement with the owners, but if the former, and it's a cheaper option, why not try them again ?

Most hire firms will offer a last minute reduction on boats they have not managed to let, too.

Sorry I wasn't implying anything, just trying to be humourous, didn't work did it?

With the other thread in mind I just thought that...........

I am sure anyone who eventually lends their boat to you will be more careful than the pwners and family of Que Sera sera.

Nothing meant to offend.

Sorry again and again. Hope you find what you are looking for.

If I had just one wish...........

It would not be to cure the world of this or that, it would not be to end this or that or even the other.

It would quite simply be for people to be kinder and less judgemental.

I have to date found this forum useful and the people I have come in to contact with have been nothing but helpful, perhaps I am about to see another side now.

If I had just one wish...........

It would not be to cure the world of this or that, it would not be to end this or that or even the other.

It would quite simply be for people to be kinder and less judgemental.

I have to date found this forum useful and the people I have come in to contact with have been nothing but helpful, perhaps I am about to see another side now.

No disrespect, but I saw it as a joke as well, I'm sure no offence was meant. Are we losing our sense of humour in this country or what! LOL

[

You don't say if you used Distinctive Charters, or a direct arrangement with the owners, but if the former, and it's a cheaper option, why not try them again ?

Perhaps because all their boats have now been nicked so they have none left to hire out?

I work for Victim Support so know more than most about the effects and impact of crime, I know what Carole and Tony are going through.

I have a wicked sense of humour but do seem to have lost it momentarily.

Apologises accepted.

Hi,

Kind regards

:lol: Hi

You will have to go private anyway for easter weekend, the hirefleet I work with has been fully booked for months any hire fleet that isnt are probably crap boats !! Suppose u have tried the monthly comics there r usualy a few advertise in those ?

Hope u sort it out.

Regards

Tim

Hi,

Kind regards

Not a chance,too many boats going missing.Try buying youre own or hiring at market rates.

Live in Derbyshire,Do you? Do you really sir? Do you?

Hi,

Kind regards

Most hire companies will be more expensive than'private hire' as they are trying to make a living from it and not just earn pin money to cover costs.

Hire companies will repaint their boats every year (or should) they should hold plenty of spares for the boats working systems and have a engineer available at all times, (not one who has never seen the boat before being called out by RCR or Call Assist-) should he be required.

They of course will only do engine problems so you have to trust the private owner can fix your heating etc should it stop.

I do feel sorry for the people whos boat was stolen but on another level how much can you really care about your boat if you advertise it on e-bay?

I just hope they find it soon and it is a warning to all who think of making money on the cheap.

Hire companies will repaint their boats every year (or should).........

If you mean a full topside repaint, I would have thought virtually every hire company in the land would fail that test.

A program of repairing damage to the paintwork, yes, but surely nearly every company leaves it several years between full repaints ?

Not a chance,too many boats going missing.Try buying youre own or hiring at market rates.

Live in Derbyshire,Do you? Do you really sir? Do you?

Yes sir, I do sir reside in the county of Derbyshire.

I have ordered a boat, just a long wait that's all.

I know this will offend most folk but the majority of hire boats look cheap and nasty to me I was hoping for something a little more discerning, not to nick either.

References and substiantial deposit can be provided, and if neccesary the keys to my Range Rover whilst we are away.

I thank you.

Hi,

Kind regards

Why not treat yourself to a cheap holiday? See:

Anyone want to come boating? Between 11 Apr and 2 May

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...st&p=348416

I know this will offend most folk but the majority of hire boats look cheap and nasty to me I was hoping for something a little more discerning, not to nick either.

I thank you.

have you seen aqua narrowboats? cheaper than most hire companies around, and they have only new boats......(max 3 years old)

I do feel sorry for the people whos boat was stolen but on another level how much can you really care about your boat if you advertise it on e-bay?

I just hope they find it soon and it is a warning to all who think of making money on the cheap.

Also to warn boaters that 'cheap boat hire' may be cheap for a reason. There be pirates out there - arrrrr - as in people happy to take your money, but there may not be a boat! I can think of one such 'company' who was advertising boats for hire, using pictures on their website of boats they didn't even own! That's why its always better to go through the approved channels.

Also to warn boaters that 'cheap boat hire' may be cheap for a reason. There be pirates out there - arrrrr - as in people happy to take your money, but there may not be a boat! I can think of one such 'company' who was advertising boats for hire, using pictures on their website of boats they didn't even own! That's why its always better to go through the approved channels.

Hear Hear.

Also, something "private" hirers forget is that as soon as money changes hands your insurance is totally invalid as all pleasure craft insurance docs have a line about not being used for hire or reward. No insurance is not good, especially if your boat doesn't get returned after being "hired" ... or is in an accident. No insurance also means your licence is invalid too. No licence is a criminal offence ....

Always use a hire company that is a member of ACPO or the BMF.

HTH

D

Hear Hear.

Also, something "private" hirers forget is that as soon as money changes hands your insurance is totally invalid as all pleasure craft insurance docs have a line about not being used for hire or reward. No insurance is not good, especially if your boat doesn't get returned after being "hired" ... or is in an accident. No insurance also means your licence is invalid too. No licence is a criminal offence ....

Always use a hire company that is a member of ACPO or the BMF.

HTH

D

No license is a criminal offence. HMM now youre being silly.

No license is a criminal offence. HMM now youre being silly.

No I'm not actually. Not having a valid licence is a criminal offence. The words below come from the 1st no licence letter you get if BW are on your case and the bit after that is the Section 8 bit.

"If no response is received within the next fourteen days enforcement action will be commenced without further notice either by Civil Action and/or Section 8 procedure under the British Waterways Act 1983, (see overleaf) or Criminal Court Proceedings for the offence of “No Licence” contrary to the General Canal Bye-Laws 1976."

BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD ACT 1983

Part II - Section 8

8. – (1) In this section –

“owner” in relation to any relevant craft means the owner of the relevant craft at the time of sinking, stranding or

abandonment. and includes a person letting a vessel for hire, whether or not that person owns the vessel;

“relevant craft” means any vessel which is sunk, stranded or abandoned in any inland waterway or in any reservoir owned or managed by the Board or which is left or moored therein without lawful authority and includes any part of such vessel.

8. – (2) The Board may remove any relevant craft after giving not less than 28 days notice to the owner of the relevant craft, stating the effect of this section.

8. – (3) All expenses incurred by the Board in –

a) the removal, storage or destruction of the relevant craft;

:lol: the removal or storage of any furniture, tackle and apparel of the relevant craft, or any cargo, goods, chattels and effects on board the relevant craft; or

c) marking, watching, buoying or otherwise controlling the relevant craft;

may be recovered by the Board from the owner of the relevant craft.

8. - (4) If within six weeks of its removal by the Board any relevant craft cannot be proved to the reasonable satisfaction of the Board to belong to any claimant, it shall, together with any furniture, tackle and apparel and any cargo, goods, chattels and effects on board, vest in the Board:

Provided that, if within twelve months of its removal a claim to the relevant craft is made by a person who subsequently proves that he is the owner thereof, the Board shall, if the relevant craft is unsold permit the owner to retake it with any furniture, tackle apparel, cargo, goods, chattels and effects on board upon payment of the expenses referred to in subsection (3) of this section or, if the relevant craft and the furniture, tackle and apparel and any cargo, goods, chattels and effects on board have been sold, the Board shall pay to such owner the amount of the proceeds of such sale after deducting the said expenses, and in case such proceeds shall be insufficient to reimburse the Board such expenses the deficiency may be recovered by the Board.

8. - (5) Notwithstanding the provisions of this section the Board may at any time move without notice a relevant craft if it be an obstruction or a source of danger

Hope this clarifys matters.

D

No I'm not actually. Not having a valid licence is a criminal offence. The words below come from the 1st no licence letter you get if BW are on your case and the bit after that is the Section 8 bit.

"If no response is received within the next fourteen days enforcement action will be commenced without further notice either by Civil Action and/or Section 8 procedure under the British Waterways Act 1983, (see overleaf) or Criminal Court Proceedings for the offence of "No Licence" contrary to the General Canal Bye-Laws 1976."

BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD ACT 1983

Part II - Section 8

8. – (1) In this section –

"owner" in relation to any relevant craft means the owner of the relevant craft at the time of sinking, stranding or

abandonment. and includes a person letting a vessel for hire, whether or not that person owns the vessel;

"relevant craft" means any vessel which is sunk, stranded or abandoned in any inland waterway or in any reservoir owned or managed by the Board or which is left or moored therein without lawful authority and includes any part of such vessel.

8. – (2) The Board may remove any relevant craft after giving not less than 28 days notice to the owner of the relevant craft, stating the effect of this section.

8. – (3) All expenses incurred by the Board in –

a) the removal, storage or destruction of the relevant craft;

:lol: the removal or storage of any furniture, tackle and apparel of the relevant craft, or any cargo, goods, chattels and effects on board the relevant craft; or

c) marking, watching, buoying or otherwise controlling the relevant craft;

may be recovered by the Board from the owner of the relevant craft.

8. - (4) If within six weeks of its removal by the Board any relevant craft cannot be proved to the reasonable satisfaction of the Board to belong to any claimant, it shall, together with any furniture, tackle and apparel and any cargo, goods, chattels and effects on board, vest in the Board:

Provided that, if within twelve months of its removal a claim to the relevant craft is made by a person who subsequently proves that he is the owner thereof, the Board shall, if the relevant craft is unsold permit the owner to retake it with any furniture, tackle apparel, cargo, goods, chattels and effects on board upon payment of the expenses referred to in subsection (3) of this section or, if the relevant craft and the furniture, tackle and apparel and any cargo, goods, chattels and effects on board have been sold, the Board shall pay to such owner the amount of the proceeds of such sale after deducting the said expenses, and in case such proceeds shall be insufficient to reimburse the Board such expenses the deficiency may be recovered by the Board.

8. - (5) Notwithstanding the provisions of this section the Board may at any time move without notice a relevant craft if it be an obstruction or a source of danger

Hope this clarifys matters.

D

ta