Would Modifying My Anchor Be A BAD Idea, Please ?

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

56 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Thats an interesting point and the opposite to what I would assume-I always imagined dropping an anchor into a weed bed would make it work better! I have never personally had the need to drop an anchor but its useful to read comments from those that actually have.

I used to use an anchor all the time in the 1970s when I did most of my med cruising.   There were very few marinas then and the usual system was to drop an anchor and reverse onto a quay where you tied the stern lines.   It was important not to drag as you could bang the stern on the key hard if you did that when the wind got up.   The problem weeds were in places like the Isles d'Hyeres where they grew in the bays where we often anchored.

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

Thats an interesting point and the opposite to what I would assume-I always imagined dropping an anchor into a weed bed would make it work better! I have never personally had the need to drop an anchor but its useful to read comments from those that actually have.

Heavy weed can render most anchors useless at worse and reduce their efficiency at best. The weed can form a ball round the flukes so there is nothing to bite with.

Still one of the best tried and tested anchors for anchoring in weed,  (and also for rock), is the old fashioned Fisherman anchor,

Image result for fishermans anchor

although I am sue that there will be someone shortly who will suggest a new, flashy hi-tech anchor costing a fortune.:boat:

Howard

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I think you're missing the point James. A Narrowboat anchor is never going to be used for that purpose - it's an emergency brake likely (if ever) to be most appreciated when dropped in an uncontrolled manner from a boat with no steerage whilst travelling at 5 knots towards a wier! I think that's quite a test for any anchor.

I agree. It's an emergency brake. By the time you get to deploy it you are going too fast. If its weedy, you aint got a chance, if you are moving from shallower into deeper water, you aint got a chance. I am not sure the design of the anchor is the best.....its designed to fit in the boat. The salty water boats have well designed anchors these days that do set well ....but not a 5mph!

I know what Tony is saying in the previous posts re salty water experience vs rivers, but  the guys who have the experience with anchors are the salty water types. We were good at anchoring 'cause we practised. Most canal boaters having to use their emergency brake will be deploying an anchor for the first time. Timing the drop and paying out the rope to get the anchor to bite would be critical. They dont bite that easily especially at speed.

I wouldnt cut the ends off mine to give it the best chance of working.

On 25/09/2018 at 13:18, Clodi said:

By chance I purchased a pack of  tennis balls in Poundland for the Dog. When I got around to looking at them I found they were a solid rubber type construction. I've drilled holes halfway through in 2 of them and they fit over the bars snugly which helps protect both shins and the deck.

I bet that confuses the dog when he tries to carry one...

• Haha 1