Are we going to make more use of PMR446 radios this year ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the need for radios. If the gates swing open and the lock is devoid of other boats, in you go. Otherwise, stay tied up or maintaining position until the gates are swung open and the lock empties of other boats. Simple.

They are an easy to use aid readily available at low cost - eg on e-Bay - which if used extensively COULD save water and time.

They are an easy to use aid readily available at low cost - eg on e-Bay - which if used extensively COULD save water and time.

No, saving water and time depends on having lock-wheelers who know what they are doing. We always check for other boats before setting up a lock, and we have a good system for working through locks which is quick but never dangerous. Everybody knows what they are doing, and what the other crew members will be doing, so there's no need to keep checking up on one other. In fact we save time by not stopping to use the radios!

I did not read beyond the first couple of posts on this thread because I had no idea what a PMR446 was, and was non the wiser after reading the replies.

I have just found out what they are and cannot for the life of me understand why people need them, except to play. I have seen people using walkie talkies at locks before but there was no evidence that they made progress any more efficiently than everone else, who were relying upon experience and common sense to know when a lock was nearly ready or not.

The question comes to mind, why do you need a communication system to speed up progress on a transport system that has remained almost unchanged for 200 years, and where the maximum speed capability is 4mph? The Working boatman could make much faster progress than most of us, and that was with two boats and no form of artificial communication.

Toys for boys, which will go the same way as all it's predecessors, in the bin, once the novelty has subsided.

Using them contimuously is admittedly pointless but there are occasions when they are extremely useful.

Picture the situation where you are two-handed working through a flight. You are about to leave a lock, and your lock-wheeler is out of sight around the next corner. Do you stop and shut the gates behind you (or allow the boat behind to turn the lock around for their own use) or do you carry on and leave the gates open? At that point you can check with the lock wheeler, whether or not there is a boat coming the other way in the lock that you can't see. Knowing that information can save both time and water.

That is just one example, there are plenty of others.

Using them contimuously is admittedly pointless but there are occasions when they are extremely useful.

Picture the situation where you are two-handed working through a flight. You are about to leave a lock, and your lock-wheeler is out of sight around the next corner. Do you stop and shut the gates behind you (or allow the boat behind to turn the lock around for their own use) or do you carry on and leave the gates open? At that point you can check with the lock wheeler, whether or not there is a boat coming the other way in the lock that you can't see. Knowing that information can save both time and water.

I would suggest that when on the tiller of many boats you can not hear what someone may be trying to say from 50 yards away and if simple hand signals can not / do not convey what is required, a radio can be useful. There can also be times when you do not have visual contact and again a radio can be helpful.

Of course radio is not mandatory, but just because it wasn't available decades ago, doesn't mean to say it wouldn't have been useful. People will find uses for radio and others will find reasons why it isn't useful or necessary / needed - that's the way of people... and people will continue to do what they want

Nick

Thats what I'll do. when I come over from the states on vacation, I will bring my Amateur 40 watt mobile 440 rig with me. That way the good people 12 locks away from me will know I am coming and leave the locks open for me :lol:

Just kidding BTW. I would actually hook in a Motorola Commercial mobile unit running at 100 watts in my boat, therefore I can really get out and touch someone!

I did not read beyond the first couple of posts on this thread because I had no idea what a PMR446 was, and was non the wiser after reading the replies.

I have just found out what they are and cannot for the life of me understand why people need them, except to play. I have seen people using walkie talkies at locks before but there was no evidence that they made progress any more efficiently than everone else, who were relying upon experience and common sense to know when a lock was nearly ready or not.

The question comes to mind, why do you need a communication system to speed up progress on a transport system that has remained almost unchanged for 200 years, and where the maximum speed capability is 4mph? The Working boatman could make much faster progress than most of us, and that was with two boats and no form of artificial communication.

Toys for boys, which will go the same way as all it's predecessors, in the bin, once the novelty has subsided.

My wife and I use them to call for a lift after she finishes work as we live on the wrong side of the river also when we leave our cut off the main river as we have to moor bows in as the dyke is too shallow for our sterngear if we moor stern on, she lets me know if it is clear to exit

I don't think it will make much difference in getting through a lock quicker but they are a convenient communication tool. I used them more to let the crew know that we were coming up to a lock or bridge or stopping.

Just the same as a mobile phone, not everyone has one, some could live without them, some will say "what do you need one of them for" and "we didn't have them 20 years ago" but they are a part of everyday life now.

Toys for boys... yes absolutely! Along with my gps, digital camera, that blue tooth thing that goes in my ear and countless other gadgets :lol: .

I think it is fair to say that some will use them and sing their praises some will prefer not to and wont see the point in them.

The original post was suggesting that those of us that do want to use them could use a specific channel with no code so that we can chat if we are passing, seems like a nice idea to me.

Edited by Dyad

Another good argument for leaving gates open when you leave locks

Another good argument for leaving gates open when you leave locks

In busy times, I would have thought it preferable to leave gates open as you leave locks - It gives good advance indication to the next boat approaching whether the lock is empty / ready.

To me it seems crazy to leave say a lock full with both ends shut as seconds after you disappear after coming down stream, someone may be wanting to go upstream and have to empty your just-filled lock, thereby wasting a whole lock full of water ( and time) - I can understand if the lock is going to be left overnight and e.g the upper gates are a bit leaky, then leaving the lower ones shut would help conserve water... am I missing a point here ?

Nick

(Sorry for thread digression )

No, saving water and time depends on having lock-wheelers who know what they are doing. We always check for other boats before setting up a lock, and we have a good system for working through locks which is quick but never dangerous. Everybody knows what they are doing, and what the other crew members will be doing, so there's no need to keep checking up on one other. In fact we save time by not stopping to use the radios!

OK for some however, my wife is disabled thus I operate single handed. The radios enable us to chat whilst boating and could be helpfull at locks if used by others. Maybe at least one of the crew members on boats similar to that above could spend a little time being helpful by listening for the likes of me approaching a lock they are about to leave?

Edited by RobinR