Dunton Windlasses

dave moore

Featured Posts

Aha! The very question I was going to ask and I found it here via Google. I borrowed one of these while out on Tarporley last week and just loved it immediately. On the Regents Canal locks at least it seemed a lot more secure on the tapered spindle. So I decided that I want one for my birthday (which is this week; I lied about it in my profile to foil identity thieves) and am seeking a supplier hopefully on this summer's planned route. (Cowroast to Up North via Leicester). Whilton would be the obvious place - but it appears they don't stock them? Clearly should have got one while in Braunston, but I didn't know I wanted one then. I believe the Braunston shop do mail order, but I would have to hurry to get it before we leave. Any more ideas or known stockists out there?

Don't anyone say this forum doesn't do any good!!!

The Canal Shop now stocks Dunton Double windlasses (I couldn't bear to see Warriorwoman pointing out my failings . . .) - but unfortunately the price has risen. They are available online if you cannot get to us.

Don't anyone say this forum doesn't do any good!!!

The Canal Shop now stocks Dunton Double windlasses (I couldn't bear to see Warriorwoman pointing out my failings . . .) - but unfortunately the price has risen. They are available online if you cannot get to us.

Save me one! I've gone past now....

Seen two people with them so far this trip and quietly seethed with envy.

Could you post a link or PM me one for your website? And... er... how much?

And - how brilliant; thanks!

Edited by WarriorWoman

Save me one! I've gone past now....

Seen two people with them so far this trip and quietly seethed with envy.

Could you post a link or PM me one for your website? And... er... how much?

And - how brilliant; thanks!

Canalshop online

Richard

(it's in his members profile)

The point of these is still rather lost on me, I'm afraid, at least for my personal use.

Ninety-something percent of the time that I need anything other than the standard small tapered eye on a windlass it is for the immense "Ham and Baker" gear from the 1930s on the Grand Union Birmingham main line.

If ever there was somewhere where you need a good windlass that fits firmly, they are it.

Having watched a couple of people wrestle with Dunton windlasses on these paddles, I can assure you there are not really suitable or safe on them. Just about any other alternative works better, frankly.

Fine if you need the big eye for something else, (although I find only the odd paddle or bridge down south that needs anything deviating from using a small eye), or if you want a pretty and lightweight windlass.

But I'd not call them universal.

Mind you, we did manage to break the head of a Walsh double eyed alloy, (or at least Super-Woman did), so the jury is now out on them too.

For an alloy casting the price of all these types makes my eyes water, particularly the Dunton.

• 6 years later...

Hi all

Anyone know whether the Braunston shop has any Dunton windlasses in stock? I'd like to get a present for someone, that would be perfect.

Cheers

Dave

http://www.boatshopbraunston.co.uk/contact-us.html

Or appear to available here:

http://canalshoponline.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d33_01.html

Edited by Ray T

• 6 years later...
On 22/07/2009 at 19:25, magnetman said:

They did a brass version of the Dunton Double as well...

Oh dear... Heaviest windlass I've come across so far (other than the Rochdale ones :lol:

and at one point they did make a small taper single version. I don't know for certain if it was dunton but its a single socket small taper only aluminium windlass with the same design, not a Walsh or anything like that.

The stepped 'double' version is more common though, with a parallel part at the beginning followed by a taper part. When I used one in the dim and distant past I found it tended to lock itself onto the spindles on Northern GU candlestick paddles like Hatton for example which have a large taper.

I know its an old thread but I'm looking for another always keep my eyes out.

Yes I should have bought 2 a few years ago but to your above

Yes they made a brass one (have one very heavy but very nice)

I also have a brass version of the single small hole one too. Sold very cheap (£15 new off the shelf) a few years ago at a boat mooring chandler can't remember where now.

I also have a 90s dunton ally one (it's mine no one else can use it) my parents gave it to me.

Edited by billybobbooth

I used to have a Dunton ally one, loved it - it too was not to be used by anyone other than me, till a friend, who was helping me up Stoke Bruerne flight, used it without me spotting him. He used it on one lock, and it now resides somewhere in the 2nd lock! There were some available a couple of years ago, but now seem as rare as the proverbial rocking horse bits.

Silly question - if they are so good then why isn't anyone making them any more? Surely someone would have sold the design on... I know I would have.

Oddly enough we bought an alloy windlass from the hut on Curdworth back in the mid to late 80s - it was a "prototype"..... We still have it and its going strong and gets a lot of use

From what I believe the gent who made them passed away either late last year or early this year.

Some relatives found some when his property was cleared and they were sold on eBay.

Both Dunton and Dunton +

Also some of these appeared as well.

Will only fit the ex GU "candlestick" gear.

IMGP5172.JPG

IMGP7523.JPG

Edited by Ray T

7 minutes ago, Ray T said:

From what I believe the gent who made them passed away either late last year or early this year.

Some relatives found some when his property was cleared and they were sold on eBay.

Both Dunton and Dunton +

Also some of these appeared as well.

IMGP5172.JPG

IMGP7523.JPG

Didn't know about them

2 hours ago, StephenA said:

Silly question - if they are so good then why isn't anyone making them any more? Surely someone would have sold the design on... I know I would have.

When I spoke to Graham about it 2-3 years ago he was hoping to put them back into production, but was struggling to find anyone who could make them for a viable price. The previous batches apparently required a lot of hand finishing, which just isn't economic if you are trying to make them for a price the market will bear.

16 hours ago, StephenA said:

Oddly enough we bought an alloy windlass from the hut on Curdworth back in the mid to late 80s - it was a "prototype"..... We still have it and its going strong and gets a lot of use

They are very very good. The only thing I used for years. The main problem was probably that the majority of people just look at price, nothing more. When I bought my first about 30 years ago it was with others in a chandlers and was more than double the price or more again than others. peeps just go on price. Boaters on this forum in the main are more interested in boating and want good stuff, many boaters just want a cheap windlass as many many get lost. Ive still got one or two stuck in a box somewhere ( just in case ) I dont get on with this weird house living nonsense and buy another boat ;)

• Greenie 1

I've still got my own and my mum's Dunton doubles we used during our cruising around the system in the 90s and 00s. Although I dislike them comapred to iron windlasses I suppose they are technically family hair looms so must be retained for future generations. 

I put multiple Turks heads in thin sisal type rope on the handle on my mum's one to make it nicer to use. Glass cabinet time !

I have also in the past had one out with the magnet. Middle of Buckby flight it came out caught on a bit of rebar. 

And found one in one of the Hanwell locks just because the water was so clear it was plainly visible. Not sure where the spare ones are I might have given them away.