DJ caught speeding on Oxford

fender

Featured Posts

Waterscape reports on DJ speeding on the Oxford whilst presenting the Breakfast Show!

A British Waterways spokesman said that, in view of the extenuating circumstances, they were unlikely to be issuing a Fixed Penalty

I wonder what the extenuating circumstances were. Maybe BW didn't want to get any bad press..

Which only goes to prove that there is one rule for fat blob presenters and one rule for boaters.

Edited by maffi mushkila

How did they manage to break the speed limit on the Oxford? It is so shallow that I have a job to maintain 3mph in my boat. I guess that they were probably doing less than 4mph but still creating a breaking wash, which isn't illegal but is against the regulations. As the regulations are not legally enforceable BW could not prosecute them. Still inconsiderate though.

Or maybe BW didnt want to give Radio1 bad press?

- After all, they where promoting canal interfaces with the younger generations.

Daniel

26148[/snapback]

Yup... ANd if they gave Radio 1 bad press.... radio 1 would have given them bad press....

BW has a news article on the DJ's exploits. Sadly nothing is said about his speeding.

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/newsroom...ford_canal.html

26208[/snapback]

That's how I read it as well. The original article in Waterscape refers to a breaking wash and then later mentions that there is a 4mph speed limit on the canal, there is nothing in the article to suggest that the boat was speeding. With it's tongue in cheek referral to fixed penalty points etc., the whole article is slightly pointless, obviously written by a journalist who clearly had noth much worthwhile to say.

Edited by David Schweizer

That's how I read it as well. The original article in Waterscape refers to a breaking wash and then later mentions that there is a 4mph speed limit on the canal, there is nothing in the article to suggest that the boat was speeding. With it's tongue in cheek referral to fixed penalty points etc., the whole article is slightly pointless, obviously written by a journalist who clearly had noth much worthwhile to say.

26223[/snapback]

The article in Waterscape cites "A British Waterways spokesman said that, in view of the extenuating circumstances, they were unlikely to be issuing a Fixed Penalty Notice." it seems likely that BW had thought the DJ was creating a wash in excess of legal acceptability, whether it was 2, 3 or 4mph. I presume that BW thought the DJ, being a first timer, should not be penalised, though of course there is the bad publicity if BW were to take action. I cant imagine that happening with an ordinary boater.

The article in Waterscape cites "A British Waterways spokesman said that, in view of the extenuating circumstances, they were unlikely to be issuing a Fixed Penalty Notice."  it seems likely that BW had thought the DJ was creating a wash in excess of legal acceptability, whether it was 2, 3 or 4mph. I presume that BW thought the DJ, being a first timer, should not be penalised, though of course there is the bad publicity if BW were to take action. I cant imagine that happening with an ordinary boater.

26261[/snapback]

So whats the lesson?

Drive your boat with an ear piece and mike on and pretend your a DJ? :lol:

( :D:D )

So whats the lesson?

Drive your boat with an ear piece and mike on and pretend your a DJ? :lol:

( :smiley_offtopic:  :blush: )

26264[/snapback]

heheh

Just dont forget to be interviewing someone as you go along, asking them about their favourite trax. Gets a bit boring if you do it all day just to avoid BW. Best get a submarine! :lol:

With it's tongue in cheek referral to fixed penalty points etc., the whole article is slightly pointless, obviously written by a journalist who clearly had noth much worthwhile to say.

26223[/snapback]

Why thanks David, I love you too.

I think I'll put a big notice next time we do a story like that - "Warning to Canal World readers - this one isn't entirely serious."

:smiley_offtopic:

For what it's worth... last Friday morning, I followed Chris Moyles along the canal for a short while to make sure nothing untoward happened with the attendant paparazzi (it didn't) and to get some shots which we could supply to the local press. BW got some excellent publicity from it, not just the radio show but also follow-up local press coverage on Saturday. After all of that, it seemed a shame not to run a little light-hearted piece on Waterscape.

And for the literal-minded, I'm pretty sure BW doesn't actually have powers to issue fixed penalty notices for speeding...

Richard

editor, Waterscape.com

Richard,

Of course BW dont issue fixed penalty tickets, I know that. But speeding is a serious problem on the canals, and its getting worst. If our DJ Mr Moyles was speeding, he might have at best been been shouted down by an angry moorer, or at worst got shot at! (This actually happened near Great Haywood in 2002 when an angry moorer shot a boater for going too fast) Some navigation authorities (The Broads and the Thames) have radar guns. There are heavy fines for speeding on the tidal Thames.

Edited by fender

Waterscape really takes the biscuit. After featuring a item about speeding DJ's, and writing tongue in cheek about fixed panalty notices, and Richard Fairhurst's posting, Waterscape is now going to town with a feature about the problems of speeding boats! Can they make up their mind what they're doing? Lets see them make a joke about the EA and their radar guns...

http://www.waterscape.com/news/nid563;

After picking up a speeding ticket last week after 36 years of accident-free, incident-free (policewise) motoring I was mighty peed off and tried to avoid this thread.

However, after discovering that almost 60% of the people in my office have also picked up a ticket in the past 3 years or so my mood has changed somewhat and I now just see it as an occupational hazard for someone who drives 35-40k miles/year as I do. I shall now treat all traffic patrols to a Churchilian salute as I adjust my mirror each time I see one.

Rant over...... feeling beteer now!

Cheers.... mike

Lets try a different angle:

if you were the opular radio1 DJ and you got done for speeding when you were promoting the waterways i'm sure you would start slagging of BW and all sorts.

You wouldn't like it!

Lets try a different angle:

if you were the opular radio1 DJ and you got done for speeding when you were promoting the waterways i'm sure you would start slagging of BW and all sorts.

You've tryed that angle before on the thread, and tbh, i dont really think its valid.

Moyles might poke fun at BW, but i wouldnt "slag them off"

- He's just not really that type of bloke. He doesnt take anything seriously, its not in he nature!

(not even when i locked his GF in there flat and had to send his manager over a he was live on air at the time! - She must have loved that!)

Daniel