Most beautifull waterway

bastonjock

Featured Posts

It depends on what you class as beautiful I suppose. I find industrial landscapaes - especially the semi derelict areas - just as 'beautiful' as the unspoilt countryside but in a different way. Is just a shame that a lot of the old warehouses and factories are being bulldozed away. Personally I don't find the 'mews' yuppy blocks particularly awe inspiring.

Scenically I suppose the Llangollen. Crossing the canal in the sky takes some beating, although to be fair i've never gone across on a boat but walked instead (More time to enjoy the view)

I've done most of them but not the Medway. What are the highlights?

Several Napoleonic Forts, Some heavy shipping traffic, Mud flats for twitchers while at anchor, Chatham Historic Dockyard, Rochester and its Castle and Cathederal, then once through Allington lock you have maidstone followed by the fields of kent finally ending at Tonbridge and its Castle.

Oh yes the Hop Farm at Paddock Wood

Almost any canal when we are out cruising, they are all different.

I love the BCN, there is always something to look at.

The countryside is beautiful and tranqil but sometimes there is not a lot of real interest to look at.

When I saw Salty as "last poster" in this thread, I wrongly assumed he was entering his nomination as the Slough Arm!

The Slough Arm has everything. 3 aqueducts, embankments, cutting, golf course, some attractive old warehouses, the M25, the flight path to Heathrow, a gas works, ICI paint factory, the most unloved and uninviting terminal basin ever....... Oh well, perhaps not.

Even so, the last mile or there abouts came close to being filled in and used as a relief road in the 1970s. Use it or loose it.....

The river Mersey - At dawn walking the dog - these early spring mornings as the sun rises over the Liver buildings and the cathedral - sunlight glinting off the waves - beautiful!

Hummm...we missed the sunlight glinting off the waves :lol:

Dsc07662.jpg

Ive covered most of the Caledonian,i have my roots in Inverness and find those Scottish mountains beautifull even in the rain,The crinan is close to where my granny came from and as for the welsh suggestions my wife is half welsh.I have done the nene from peterborough to Oundle and as its my closest point of entry into anything wet,ill be on there again this year,the fen drains are also attractive.

I have a Macgregor 26x,its a water ballasted powersailor,a trailerable plastic boat,i draw as little as 18 inches with the motor down and 9 with it up,i need about 2meters air draught,not as dreammy as a narrowboat.I motor up the rivers at a sedate pace,the best time my wife has had on my little boat was on the nene,she is not to keen on the sea so im looking for more tranquil venues,i have also got a handbook of the slipways for canals.

heres a link to a slideshow of us on the nene

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/gud...nt=1775fb09.pbw

thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming

matt

Edited by bastonjock

I've done most of them but not the Medway. What are the highlights?

We thought that the Chelmer and Blackwater was prettier than the Medway. The non tidal Medway tends to be a bit modified, behind flood banks. Some Thames boaters think the upper reaches of the Tidal Medway are a bit cruddy....in more ways than one.

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_01/Medplusindex.html

I have finally uploaded our trip in TNC Fleet Auxillary "Straight Across" to the *real* end of the Medway Navigation.

Also a few shots coming back on the Thames Tideway in very calm conditions, where you would have been quite at home in any narrowboat.

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_04/SAMedway.html

That was good to look at. Silvertown was as far as I got - in the company of another boat. We came out at Teddington and Silvertown was where the tide ran out for us. So we tied up alongside a large tug and had lunch. Then the tug man turned up and said, "Sorry lads, I've got to take this round to Brighton!"

So we took the incoming tide and went up Bow Creek to enter the Lee.

I don't know about "most beautiful waterway" - but it was a lot of fun.

The usual cliche of the Llangollen has been trotted out, and it is a beautiful place.

However, I personally think that the Upper Peak Forest beats it hands down when it comes to scenery (I also happen to think that the Lower PF is a damn site more lovely than most books give it credit for!).

However, of the waterways that I've travelled, I would go for the following list;

1. Montgomery
  2. Upper Peak Forest
  3. Caldon (beyond Engine Lock)
  4. Warwickshire Avon
  5. Llangollen.
  6. Stratford-on-Avon Canal
  7. Shropshire Union
  8. Northern T&M

The Slough Arm has everything. 3 aqueducts, embankments, cutting, golf course, some attractive old warehouses, the M25, the flight path to Heathrow, a gas works, ICI paint factory, the most unloved and uninviting terminal basin ever....... Oh well, perhaps not.

Even so, the last mile or there abouts came close to being filled in and used as a relief road in the 1970s. Use it or loose it.....

Also soon to have the equivelent of the Denham west Dreyton gravel run!

The Peak Forest in parts has to be my favourite, it reminds me of the Hovis advert and the shroppie with its lovely coloured rocks lining the cut.

:lol: Mind you there is wildlife a plenty with Turtles, Swans and the locals from Langley

My direct neighbour comes from Langley and he is alright...He has not (yet) moaned about all the Wildernii trailer works going on in our shared drive! :lol:

That was good to look at. Silvertown was as far as I got - in the company of another boat. We came out at Teddington and Silvertown was where the tide ran out for us. So we tied up alongside a large tug and had lunch. Then the tug man turned up and said, "Sorry lads, I've got to take this round to Brighton!"

So we took the incoming tide and went up Bow Creek to enter the Lee.

I don't know about "most beautiful waterway" - but it was a lot of fun.

Well obviously the Bow Back Rivers were the most beautiful waterways in the country. I expect next time we do them, after the Lympics, they will be totally buggered. I am glad we did them at their best, just before works started on the Lympic site.

Pudding Mill River RIP

Dscn1386.jpg

Dartford Creek has a certain Je ne sais quoit :lol:

Pict3884.jpg

Others have already suggested the disconnected section of the Montgomery Canal.

I haven't boated on it, but have walked much of it (Some of it at http://gallery.hmallett.co.uk/main.php?g2_itemId=661).

There's enough distance to keep you entertained for 2 or 3 days, and it needs the traffic! You can walk the canal in both directions from the end of the navigable section too.