QUE SERA SERA- WALKING WEEKEND

Featured Posts

It is so frustrating that we are not being given enough information to help us look for this boat effectively. Even direct requests by text seem to elicit only expressions of the owner's thanks (which are nice to receive but not particularly helpful) and just the occasional accidental hint of information from which we have to try to infer details that we have asked for but which the owners seem so reluctant to divulge to us. We never get any follow up to confirm or eliminate anything, so nobody knows whether or not to keep looking in response to earlier reports.

So to the owners I plead - give us ALL the information and maybe we can help.

It is puzzling that people should want to name their boat after a Robert Harris novel.

Names often mean very little. I remember a catamaran in a south Devon harbour named "Ubique", -it hadn't moved for twenty years!

I suppose in that respect it wasn't unique!

Perhaps the property of an ex-Royal Artillery man? Ubique is the regiment's motto, or at least it was when my father was in the R.A.

For any non-classical scholars looking in, it means "Everywhere", as Tony evidently realised!

Agreed.

But without some sane explanation of what's going on, is it any less likely that another Que Sera Sera is thereabouts, than that those who stole this one would be choosing to cruise it around the very area in which they took it, (including apparently past where they took it).

That's if you believe this cock-and-bull story of course :lol:

Perhaps the property of an ex-Royal Artillery man? Ubique is the regiment's motto, or at least it was when my father was in the R.A.

For any non-classical scholars looking in, it means "Everywhere", as Tony evidently realised!

As in "Ubiquitous" no doubt

i like most others on here have followed all of the threads and the various topics surrounding this theft, Bones has come up with a really good point and i just hope it is not the case!

i wish Carole all the luck in finding Que Sera Sera but i too feel that we need more info and on a more regular basis, i come on this site almost seven days a week to get my "fix" of all things boaty, if i had a real "need" (a lost boat for example) i would be posting every single day to try and get the most out of this resourse

just my opinion, we are all entitled to it.

Nik

i like most others on here have followed all of the threads and the various topics surrounding this theft, Bones has come up with a really good point and i just hope it is not the case!

i wish Carole all the luck in finding Que Sera Sera but i too feel that we need more info and on a more regular basis, i come on this site almost seven days a week to get my "fix" of all things boaty, if i had a real "need" (a lost boat for example) i would be posting every single day to try and get the most out of this resourse

just my opinion, we are all entitled to it.

Nik

Couldn't agree more, it's not just me that thinks it's gone very quiet then.

A daily update, regardless of progress, would also help to maintain interest and keep it at the top of the list.

Edited by johnjo

A daily update, regardless of progress, would also help to maintain interest and keep it at the top of the list.

Did anyone contact or visit the marina at Burton?

As has been explained elsewhere - Carole & Tony do not have internet access except via their daughter who herself is unable to get to the internet regularly. This means that anything they may wish to post can take a frustrating time to do.

I had volunteered to be a contact but then sadly found the hotel I was staying in from last Friday until this afternoon was out of signal range for both mobile and internet so I was not only unable to get the messages I had been sent by Carole until almost a day late but could do nothing with them once I had them. I have however updated the "official" thread : Clicky earlier this evening.

Perhaps a friendly mod can once again close this thread down so we can ensure that the official thread is the one which is kept to the top?

A cynic might wonder if the whole thing was a smokescreen whilst the owners hid the boat somewhere, claimed the insurance, and then sold the boat some months later through a third party.

Not that I could possibly believe such a thing, of course.

But I do think that while we should keep an eye out for the boat, we should not leap to the conclusion that it was stolen. That is for the authorities to judge. It should be described as "missing". This forum made that mistake once before a couple of years ago, with a boat named Cragdale.

As has been explained elsewhere - Carole & Tony do not have internet access except via their daughter who herself is unable to get to the internet regularly. This means that anything they may wish to post can take a frustrating time to do.

I had volunteered to be a contact but then sadly found the hotel I was staying in from last Friday until this afternoon was out of signal range for both mobile and internet so I was not only unable to get the messages I had been sent by Carole until almost a day late but could do nothing with them once I had them. I have however updated the "official" thread : Clicky earlier this evening.

Perhaps a friendly mod can once again close this thread down so we can ensure that the official thread is the one which is kept to the top?

If Carole can send you a message and not post here, I assume it's a text message and not email?

I find it difficult to believe that their access to the internet is so limited, maybe I'm wrong.

One thread would definitely be helpful, I've lost count but I believe it's about four now?

The guy in America [sorry, can't find that thread] put together an extremely good collation of the info available at the time, what happened to it and has it been updated?

I'm sure that as I and many others have said before, we all want them to find their boat, but how do they expect people in a position to help, maintain an interest without up to date info.

I repeat, A daily update, regardless of progress, would also help to maintain that interest and keep it at the top of the list.

Edited by johnjo

How easy is it to get online these days?.

Cafe,

Work,

CAB,

Libruary,

Mobile phone,

..............................ah well. I remember the search parties for Holly, what a crack that was. Why not do it for this one?. 5 or 6 people on bikes along every route in one day should do it................... cant be that difficult?.

How about it?

How easy is it to get online these days?.

Cafe,

Work,

CAB,

Libruary,

Mobile phone,

For those who are computer literate, getting on-line is very easy. For those who are not comfortable with computers it is extremely hard. Just becase they are available does not mean that EVERYONE can do it easily.

how rude our family are going out of their minds with worry and upset

A cynic might wonder if the whole thing was a smokescreen whilst the owners hid the boat somewhere, claimed the insurance, and then sold the boat some months later through a third party.

Not that I could possibly believe such a thing, of course.

But I do think that while we should keep an eye out for the boat, we should not leap to the conclusion that it was stolen. That is for the authorities to judge. It should be described as "missing". This forum made that mistake once before a couple of years ago, with a boat named Cragdale.

Further adding to the mystery of this disappearance I've read on another well known boating blog that this boat was not in fact rented out via Distinctive Charters as we were initially told (and as it had been in the past) but directly by the owners. That may or may not be relevant but it just adds to the 'oddness' of the whole saga.

Carole, you are not helping yourselves here. There are loads of people on this forum who wish to help find your boat, with a track record of seeking out stolen boats on previous occasions with some success through the 'towpath telegraph' and by organising physical searches on foot. By a combination of delays, misinformation and little feedback from yourselves, many have become despondent to the point of thinking to hell with Que Sera Sera. Find your own boat.

It is little wonder that some are thinking perhaps you don't actually want anyone to find the boat....

It's not unusual for classic cars, expensive jewelry etc to go 'missing', and pubs, shops etc to mysteriously burn down when times are hard. Why not boats....

Edited by Hairy-Neil

If you have the expertise, and can find the time to reply to a perceived insult, why can't you give the details that people are crying out for?

Further adding to the mystery of this disappearance I've read on another well known boating blog that this boat was not in fact rented out via Distinctive Charters as we were initially told (and as it had been in the past) but directly by the owners. That may or may not be relevant but it just adds to the 'oddness' of the whole saga.

Following the link to the Distinctive Charters website from the blog, it appears to be further bad news for the owners as the site states

We at Distinctive Charters, would like it to be known that the hire transaction was carried out without the knowledge of Distinctive Charters.

Distinctive Charters pride themselves in carrying out in-depth identity checks of all hirers. In this instance the owners failed miserably, releasing the boat, relying on verbal information and receiving what turned out to be a dud cheque. Further more the insurers of the boat have decided that since the owners bypassed Distinctive Charters with this particular booking they will not cover the loss.

It looks like they really need to find the boat and fast.