Que Sera Sera

Digipete

Featured Posts

Sorry to be picky but it was clearly mentioned as such in Digipete's sum-up in message one on this thread, repeated by various other people and has never been corrected which, at the very least, must irritate Distinctive Charters who rely on private owners trusting their ability to take proper precaustions when hiring out their boats.

Digipete is in America and he cannot be held responsible for that error as he was only colating such info as could be drawn from the various posts here. However I do think it remiss of the owners not to have corrected this error, but bearing in mind their lack of internet access they may not have read it.

Another excuse to put it back on the top of the pile.

Edited by johnjo

I just attempted to edit my original post but the Edit bar does not seem to be there anymore. Therefore if one of the mods is around please delete the section about Distinctive Charters. We really do not need to do anymore damage to their business.

Thanks

Sorry to be picky but it was clearly mentioned as such in Digipete's sum-up in message one on this thread, repeated by various other people and has never been corrected which, at the very least, must irritate Distinctive Charters who rely on private owners trusting their ability to take proper precaustions when hiring out their boats.

I know there has been much speculation over this but I can confirm that the owners have never suggested that to be the case - the idea came about through speculation by forum members . If anyone cares to go back and trawl through all the threads I am sure they will find this to be correct.

Of course Distinctive Charters will be irritated - another very good reason to ensure that speculation is avoided because lots of people are reading this thread and people will get irritated, hurt, upset and possibly even downright angry when incorrect suggestions are made.

As soon as I put the point to Carole last night about Distinctive Charters and their involvement (or lack of) she wished that the record be set straight which I did.

Digipete did a fantastic job of colating the details and cannot be held to account when there has been so much speculation to filter through.

I am sorry to say it but I begin to think that unless the sightings after maybe the Ashby one can be definately confirmed that the boat is long gone from the area of the Ashby or the Coventry in general.

The sightings have been confirmed. The sighting a week ago was made by an aquaintance of Carol & Tony's. A dog walker who has been aboard the boat with a view to hiring it in future. He was, at the time totally unaware that the boat had been stolen and so seeing it with total strangers at the tiller was no surprise to him as he knows they hire the boat out.

This could also be the reason why many more people in the boats "home" vicinity have not previously come forward when they had seen the boat - They did not see anything unusual about it because it is regularly in that area with a variety of differnet occupants.

Of course that was a week ago now and the boat can have travelled miles since then (or it could still be round the corner) so if we all make sure we give this as much publicity as possible and keep our eyes open for it is we are close to a canal then that is probably the best we can do for now.

When the next sighting occurs we as individuals can decide if we can offer the time to assist with a physical search of the area.

I just attempted to edit my original post but the Edit bar does not seem to be there anymore. Therefore if one of the mods is around please delete the section about Distinctive Charters. We really do not need to do anymore damage to their business.

Thanks

Yes, agreed... and done.

Just a quick review of this thread only.

2ND MARCH 2009 MONDAY OUR NARROWBOAT WAS STOLEN FROM STREETHAY MARINA

15th March Sunday aprox: 13:30hrs Sighted near junction with Ashby heading towards Coventry

15th March Sunday At 09:30hrs Sighted at Grimmers mooring near Shakerstone.

18th March Wednesday Sighted in Alrewas by an aquaintance of Carole & Tony's

[They know the boat personally having been aboard.]

20th Friday Sighted between Alrewas and Shobnall "On a Mooring" by a boater on

21st March

I've just had a text from Carole...

"Just had call sighting yesterday between Alrewas Shobnal in small marina or short cutting"

24th March

Alrerwas on the 18th, Shobnall on the 20th sort of implies that it was heading east, if thats the case it should be in the Shardlow/Sawley area and once at Trent junction it can go in one of three directions

24th March

We have just done from the top of Napton Flight to Fenny Compton and no sight of her, we will continue looking to the Thames

24th March

Unless I have missed some all seem to have been in the area between Shackerstone on the Ashby on the Coventry Canal and on the Trent & Mersey from Fradley down to Burton

Edited by johnjo

I have now spoken to Carole and I have an important update:

As requested the CIN number - IBCO 2674

At no point have the owners ever claimed that the hire transaction which has led to the dissapearance of the boat was associated with Distinctive Charters. This transaction was carried out completely independantly.

It has been confirmed to me by Carole that there is doubt over the validity of their insurance policy on the boat at this time. I think this fact is demonstrable evidence that this is not a scam.

If they do not find the boat then they have not only lost their pride and joy they have also lost a valuable asset and a source of income with no realistic hope of replacing it without valid insurance.

Please let us try and avoid any further speculation and do what we can to assist these people in their efforts to locate the boat if at all possible.

Today done from Fenny Compton to Aynho with no sign of her. Some one else said Liverpool boats are quite distinctive with engine vent, large drainage hole in handrail C on the side of the bow and quite a curved roof section.

It is excellent to see so many people actively assisting. In addition to the mention on the Appolo Duck site which Carole has managed to arrange today she has also contacted the British Marine Federation and The Alrewas Rambling Association so there are a lot more people around who will be less likely to walk pass this boat without noticing now.

Hopefully we will get word of a new sighting soon

Can I suggest looking on photo sharing websites such as Flickr, Photobucket and Imageshack etc. Many people will have been out and about taking photos over the past few days as the weather has been really nice. There's just a chance that the 'missing' boat might show up in someone's photo.

Just enter the name of the relevant canal into the searchbox, and in the case of Flickr, select 'most recent' and see what photos it throws up.

I hope this idea may be of some use.

Regards

Myk (aka MG/BS4 on Flickr)

Today Carole has been checking the area between Hawkesbury Junction to Coventry Basin. They have been handing out photos and talking to anyone along the route that they could. They also checked Marinas at Coventry and Fazeley.

They have also called into the police station and have been advised the Police should be ringing her later.

There is nothing positive to report at this point but I know you will all be keepng your eyes open and ears to the ground

Can I suggest looking on photo sharing websites such as Flickr, Photobucket and Imageshack etc. Many people will have been out and about taking photos over the past few days as the weather has been really nice. There's just a chance that the 'missing' boat might show up in someone's photo.

Just enter the name of the relevant canal into the searchbox, and in the case of Flickr, select 'most recent' and see what photos it throws up.

I hope this idea may be of some use.

Regards

In addition to my earlier post......another idea would be for someone to join the Canals and Waterways Flickr group and actually post a photo of the poster that someone put up on here earlier. That way, anyone logging into that group will see the details.......maybe with a photo of the missing boat added. This can then be given a full description of what people are to look out for and in which areas. It's quite a busy group and I'm sure someone might offer some further advice.

You can but try....

Regards

In addition to my earlier post......another idea would be for someone to join the Canals and Waterways Flickr group and actually post a photo of the poster that someone put up on here earlier. That way, anyone logging into that group will see the details.......maybe with a photo of the missing boat added. This can then be given a full description of what people are to look out for and in which areas. It's quite a busy group and I'm sure someone might offer some further advice.

You can but try....

Regards

What a great idea!

Today Carole has been checking the area between Hawkesbury Junction to Coventry Basin. They have been handing out photos and talking to anyone along the route that they could. They also checked Marinas at Coventry and Fazeley.

They have also called into the police station and have been advised the Police should be ringing her later.

There is nothing positive to report at this point but I know you will all be keepng your eyes open and ears to the ground

Today we have done Aynho to Thrupp with no sign of her, tomorrow Oxford and then retrace our steps. We will keep looking

Just recieved a text from Carole:

"A bit of good news with the police they are checking his phone with network company"

I find it somewhat incredible that this lead has not been followed up before now but perhaps it was to be expected with "the officer in charge" being on holiday.

I have no idea if this can possibly throw any light on the saga but at least the police are doing something!

Thank you to everyone who is posting the places they are looking

You can but try....

Regards

Done

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canals/

Can I just say sorry for not checking the Flickr group first to see if anyone had already posted details.

Maybe the Admin on there would not object to you re-posting the photo of the poster every now and again in order to keep it on the front page for a while. No harm in asking them I guess....

Regards

Most of you have probably done this already, but I've just emailed the poster to EVERYONE in our company address book regardless of where they are and asked them to do the same, you never know it might reach someone who knows where she is.

Don't know why I hadn't done this before :lol:

Today we have done Aynho to Thrupp with no sign of her, tomorrow Oxford and then retrace our steps. We will keep looking

Today we did from Thrupp to Oxford and back to Thrupp with no sign of her. Tomorrow we will be heading back towards Napton so we will continue looking.

Can I just say sorry for not checking the Flickr group first to see if anyone had already posted details.

Maybe the Admin on there would not object to you re-posting the photo of the poster every now and again in order to keep it on the front page for a while. No harm in asking them I guess....

Regards

just as easy to delete it and re submit.

its in the stolen boat discussion anyway.

I am sorry if this has already been said but I nearly lost the will to live combing through all the various posts but the following have just occured to me.

If this was a planned theft following the advert on ebay, how did the thieves dispose of their ill gotten gains? You can hardly go into Cash Converters or your local pub on Sunday dinner time and go pssst...Nor could they try and hawk it along the towpath like dodgy dvds 'Oh I just happen to have £40,000 under the bed' and in any event for a purchase of this magnitude almost everyone would want a survey (although I didn't). So...........

Have all likely brokers, surveyors and advertising media been contacted, scrutinised and even visited because if as you say this boat is noticeable (although I would not give it a second glance) esp. to a broker, this would be much more efficient that running about like blue ar*sed flies. If, on the other hand, they have changed its appearance, someone must have sold them quite an amount of suitable paint out of season, and this would possibly be remembered and they must have painted it somewhere and wrung some of the identifying bits because the weather, apart from last week,has not be conducive to this activity. If has been mentioned by several people, they didn't seem very 'practical' or possibly 'hairdressers for Essex' they would have had to have got someone to have done it for them which makes it more visible and known. Then what do they do with it, they now have to sell a poorly painted boat, as they don't seem the types to keep it to live on a boat (no dog on a piece of string). If they tried to do this officially through established channels one would hope that alarm bells would ring, so they are left either with the 'psst' option on the towpath, it was possibly stolen to order or it might have been let out, Even if they had sold it straight away via a broker or even apollo duck there would need to be records of some sort cheques, bankers drafts, contact phone numbers etc, although I have to say I turned up to a coffee bar in Huddersfield with £35000 cash so it is possible! Even if all these accounts and number were false they baddies would still have had to put their heads above the parapet at some time.

When a friend of mine was accused of stealing a community bus of similar value the police shut the A259 a mile either side of his house, shut his road at either end with an armed response unit and had the helicopter hovering above his house, has the Chief Constable been informed of this lack of activity in this casein a similar very public way.

has the Chief Constable been informed of this lack of activity in this casein a similar very public way.

Yes, I have emailed the Chief Constable of Staffordshire, making him aware of the situation!

I have also received a reply from his office, if anyone wants a copy, just pm me.