Que Sera Sera

Digipete

Featured Posts

My mistake sorry - The text I received was in small case and I misread it as ib when now I look again it says lb - Carole has said that is the "hull identification number"

Thanks Dominic - this is the problem - it is the blind leading the blind - I asked for a CIN number not really understanding what one was or what it should look like - I got a hull identification number and accepted it as the information we required.

Now it is a bit late to be texting Carole again right now I think and although I can text her tomorrow that whole description that you just posted would be very much easier to relay to Carole in a conversation than it is via text and so from my point of view it will now have to wait until tomorrow evening - that is unless someone else who knows what they are on about (unlike me) can give Carole a call and get the information during the day?

I will have to check and see if it has been done tomorrow night and will speak to Carole again if not.

Rose - the HIN and CIN are the same thing - they changed from HIN to CIN as of the beginning of 2005 with a revision of the Recreational Craft Directive regulations. In other words HIN is June 1998 - 2004, CIN from 2005 onwards. There cannot be both. The number given to you is the one LBC applied (now no longer a requirement) when they supplied the shell to the owners.

Both HIN and CIN were/are to be applied to the finished vessel by the person(s) completing the build. The LBC one will help to identify the boat however if it comes to it. But this does raise a lot more questions. If I ran a legitimate hire fleet I would be less than thrilled with this information so far.

Edited by Dominic M

I think you will find that is LBCO - for Liverpool Boat Co. It is not the CIN - it is the number LBC applied to the shell when they sold it as a shell with the Annexe IIIA. Which means that almost certainly this boat is not RCD compliant as it has no CIN number. Fine if the owners fitted it out for their own private use without professional help and did not sell it on for 5 years once finished. However, they have stated it was professionally fitted out at Hillmorton. Furthermore they are chartering it to third parties. If so, that is a criminal offence. So I repeat, is there a 14 digit CIN, issued by the person(s) who completed the build? If that was the owners, it will begin GB-RYA*********. And a signed Declaration of Conformity?

No doubt PC Plod will be recalled from his hols instantly to deal with this heinous crime. :lol:

No doubt PC Plod will be recalled from his hols instantly to deal with this heinous crime. :lol:

Well, it would be heinous if the hirers blew themselves up because of a non-compliance issue, wouldn't it? Manslaughter, I believe.

And if you ran a legitimate hire fleet, how would you feel if people were undercutting your business by hiring out their private boat without complying with the proper procedures?

Of course, this missing boat may well have got all the correct licence, BSS requirements (more stringent than the private boat BSS), insurance, etc in place. But no CIN or HIN is a bit of an alarm bell, isn't it?

An Audi TT; not a cheap car I believe, so we are not looking at hirers who were desperate for money. But when people hire a boat they generally leave their car at the boatyard. Is this car still at Streethay Wharf? If so the police or the Vehicle Licensing bods should be able to identify its owner.

I have now spoken to Carole and I have an important update:

As requested the CIN number - IBCO 2674

That isn't a HIN/CIN

Allowing for the typos, it could be part of a HIN/CIN

GB LBC 02674 __ __

Otherwise, this could be a build number

Seven pages and I do not know how many threads and we are arguing discussing the legality of the boat and its owners.

Lets put a stop to it now.

The legalities do not matter, at the moment, let us find this boat.

The sightings etc. do not matter it could be anywhere by now, so, if you are near a canal, keep your eyes open.

KISS.

Seven pages and I do not know how many threads and we are arguing discussing the legality of the boat and its owners.

Lets put a stop to it now.

The legalities do not matter, at the moment, let us find this boat.

The sightings etc. do not matter it could be anywhere by now, so, if you are near a canal, keep your eyes open.

KISS.

No, we are trying to get information, which might allow each of us to devote the time that we have available towards activities that might have a chance of achieving something, whilst others assure us that all that is needed is that we all just get out there and spend many more hours searching.

Sorry, but I don't have the spare hours to waste a full day on a pointless search of an area where it isn't, and to repeat that search next week.

I am quite happy to help, but I will not have my time wasted when that could be avoided by passing out information.

Dave (Mayall)

I have no problem with getting relative information, it is the discussion on the legalities of the owners and the boat that I wish to have stopped.

Apparently it has not been 'sighted' for sometime and on the time-scale of it going missing it could almost be anywhere.

I appreciate that time is valuable, as I said if you are near a canal keep a look out, if not then it is understandable that other matters in 'ones' life are more important.

In the scheme of things does it really matter about the legalities of the boat. It is missing and it needs finding. Whether it is insured or not, it would be nice for the owners to know her whereabouts.

And on the car matter it could well be a hire car they have hired knowing they were taking the boat.

In the scheme of things does it really matter about the legalities of the boat. It is missing and it needs finding. Whether it is insured or not, it would be nice for the owners to know her whereabouts.

And on the car matter it could well be a hire car they have hired knowing they were taking the boat.

Hired, stolen, borrowed or false plates - it's still something that could have been looked out for.

Apparently it has not been 'sighted' for sometime and on the time-scale of it going missing it could almost be anywhere.

But we are getting a string of "sightings" reported by the owners, all in the pretty close vicinity of where it was first taken.

Some of these are claimed to be pretty recent, compared to the considerable amount of time it's now been missing.

We are also told it's appearance is unaltered.

If those reports are true, and it has not moved very far, why should it be assumed likely that it has suddenly moved a great distance since the last sighting ?

It seems completely acceptable to me to question the validity of those sightings, as they require you to believe that the thieves have taken it quite openly, in it's original state, past it's home base, in an area where we are told it is well known.

I, of course, have no problem with people keeping their eyes open, but the owners themselves asked for more, and appealed for people to walk the towpaths last weekend. I can understand that people are not going to feel inclined to do that in large numbers, if they don't feel the information they have been fed is reliable.

I'll put my cards on the table and say I really can't understand if the boat has lingered within only a day or so's cruising from Streethay, why it has not been found. Surely there can't be many people who don't find that a bit odd ?

Alan

I think it might be helpful if we stick to the topic here and limit posts to positive reports of sightings rather than speculating about possibilities or what car a hairdresser might drive . . .

A very good point - let us all look for the boat and keep this topic for progress reports.

Edited by NB Alnwick
spelling

I think it might be helpful if we stick to the topic here and limit posts to positive reports of sightings rather than speculating about possibilities or what car a hairdresser might drive . . .

Quite so - anyway it wasn't bright red so it couldn't possibly have been a hairdresser's. :lol:

But we still have not found out: is this car still at the boatyard from which the boat was hired?

But we still have not found out: is this car still at the boatyard from which the boat was hired?

Right at ther bottom of post no.1, someone had been back to the marina and retrieved the car.

hi all really sorry this must be quik its in my break time at work only 10 mins in total with 25 children talking around me. so here goes; the car is NOT at the boat yard- it was left there but was not there when we went to meet them on return friday.

as far as cctv goes we have been informed after we called and called the police that an officer has been to view the cctv but since then we are told the officer who viewed it is on leave and no one else knows the outcome- WE FIND THIS BOTH ANNOYING AND WEIRD-surely everything must be computerised within the police - i would like to add we have not heard anything from them since reported only know about them viwing the cctv from people at street hay marina.

anything else please call my paremts on 07825331217 and will bemore than happy to help

regards

zoe

Quite so - anyway it wasn't bright red so it couldn't possibly have been a hairdresser's. :lol:

hi all really sorry this must be quik its in my break time at work only 10 mins in total with 25 children talking around me. so here goes; the car is NOT at the boat yard- it was left there but was not there when we went to meet them on return friday.

as far as cctv goes we have been informed after we called and called the police that an officer has been to view the cctv but since then we are told the officer who viewed it is on leave and no one else knows the outcome- WE FIND THIS BOTH ANNOYING AND WEIRD-surely everything must be computerised within the police - i would like to add we have not heard anything from them since reported only know about them viwing the cctv from people at street hay marina.

anything else please call my paremts on 07825331217 and will bemore than happy to help

regards

zoe

Thanks, Zoe and Moley, I had missed that info in the earlier post.

I'll put my cards on the table and say I really can't understand if the boat has lingered within only a day or so's cruising from Streethay, why it has not been found. Surely there can't be many people who don't find that a bit odd ?

Alan

I bet it will be found on April 1st :lol:

I am sorry to say it but I begin to think that unless the sightings after maybe the Ashby one can be definately confirmed that the boat is long gone from the area of the Ashby or the Coventry in general. Given the time scale it could be almost anywhere and, given the weather, have a completely different appearence now. I hope not but then remember some years back an Alvechurch was stolen and only found when an engineer worked on it and recognised things - by then the outside was totally non Alvechurch. Such were the changes done by the thiefs that it took a lot of money to put right, though, as usual some judge did not really consider theft of a £50,000 boat the sort of crime to lock people up for.

At no point have the owners ever claimed that the hire transaction which has led to the dissapearance of the boat was associated with Distinctive Charters. This transaction was carried out completely independantly.

I got the impression that the original hire booking was done through ebay . Although the successfull bidder would have had to register with ebay to make a bid

and would probably have supplied false information there is just a chance they did'nt , so I wonder if that aspect has been checked out ?

At no point have the owners ever claimed that the hire transaction which has led to the dissapearance of the boat was associated with Distinctive Charters. This transaction was carried out completely independantly.

Sorry to be picky but it was clearly mentioned as such in Digipete's sum-up in message one on this thread, repeated by various other people and has never been corrected which, at the very least, must irritate Distinctive Charters who rely on private owners trusting their ability to take proper precaustions when hiring out their boats.

Edited by starman