Que Sera Sera

Digipete

Featured Posts

I tend to think it is very likely the people who are currently using the boat have no reason to feel they should disguise it or hide it in any way or else this would have happened long ago.

Whether that is because they are poor deluded soles or because they think they are the owners having paid for it fair and square to the people who originally hired it out.

If this is the case then it will be great news for Carole & Tony because the people on the boat will be treating it very carefully under the inpression it is their own pride and joy.

It is of course not nearly so good for the people who think they are the new owners of the boat.

If this is the case then it is possible that the people have tied it somewhere where they have already arranged a permanent morring and gone back to work so the boat may be hidden away in a marina somewhere?

With the last sighting now so long ago it is impossible to say where the boat may be now so the very best thing we can do is just keep spreading the word until there is not a soul on the canal network who is not aware to look out for this boat.

John the posters are excellent - Thank you - lets all have a think were we can put one - even in your car window - my colleagues at work sometimes dog walk on the towpath so a poster will go on the noticeboard there tomorrow even though none of them are what you might regard as "boaty" people

Bike shops' fishing tackle shops etc -

lets find this boat!

The exact place the boat was seen on Sunday morning was described to me as "Gunners Moorings" I am not familiar with where that is but was told it is near Shackerstone.

I am sure someone who is more familiar with that section of canal will know it?

Canalplan automatically selects 2.5 MPH for narrow canals - at this time of year there will be no water shortage and with hardly any other boats on the move you can keep to the centre of the channel. If you reset the parameters on canalplan to 4mph the journey from Shackerstone to Marston Junction takes 4 hours 36 minutes which matches almost exactly with the two sightings

Rose,

Unless I'm misreading it, the two sightings are only 4 hours apart.

The distance between the two sightings is over 18 miles.

So to be in both those places at those times they would need to travel over 4.5 mph, not slowing for anything.

Now from what I remember of the Ashby of old, that would be a challenge, to put it mildly, (unless it's very much better dredged these days).

I'm not suggesting either is a false sighting, necessarily, but I feel the timing of one has to be incorrect.

Anyway, if they have got no further than this from Streethay in a fortnight, why should they have been travelling at aquaplaning speeds on Sunday ?

With the siting being that reliable, I reckon the boat has possibly been hired or sold on. I really can't see the couple remaining on a technically stolen boat in the area they stole it, it just doesnt make sence and risking getting caught.

the other option is the boat's been secluded somewhere.

I don't know what the canal system is like there, but if there are areas it could be tucked away, then that's where to look.

A couple of fit young lads on a push bikes could cover a lot of ground. Few quid an hour plus reward, they'll be as keen as mustard to find it.

Just some suggestions, hope they help.

Did they pay cash or stolen/duff cheque BTW

Edited by Julynian
  • Greenie 1

Bike shops' fishing tackle shops etc -

Excellent idea Rose. I emailed them last night to advise that they contacted local tackle shops/angling clubs.

With the closed season now on rivers, there will be many more anglers on the canal banks. We may look gormless sitting there behind our rods, but we don't miss much!

Hope they get a successful outcome to this sorry mess.

Janet

A couple of fit young lads on a push bikes could cover a lot of ground. Few quid an hour plus reward, they'll be as keen as mustard to find it.

Great idea, Julynian. A few youngsters on bikes would certainly cover a heck of a lot of towpath in a short time.

Stewey

Good idea anybody on bikes but only to locate boat and observe while reporting location.

No challenges to the crew as wether genuine hirers or theives there could be a nasty incident.

I appreciate with the constabularys manpower /holidays etc the observer may need a weeks rations !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to confirm, I did see this boat on the Ashby, but it was a while ago, a few weeks, but by now it could have got quite far, the Coventry goes quite a distance doesn't it. I never forget a name.

hope you find it..

hi

we would really appreciate if you could tell us when and a possible date and time you saw the boat and had it been changed at all can you see from the picture. my parents have hit a bad day today so trying to find more ifo to give them a bit of light at the end of this very big tunnel

EVERYPNE PLEASE KEEP UP THE HARD WORK FOR US------I FEEL A BIG PARTY COMING IF WE CAN GET IT BACK SAFELY

regards

zoe (daughter)

:lol:

Just to confirm, I did see this boat on the Ashby, but it was a while ago, a few weeks, but by now it could have got quite far, the Coventry goes quite a distance doesn't it. I never forget a name.

hope you find it..

Umm, this exact date isa tough one but it would have been around end of February, last weekend of February I think as we took our boat out for a cruise. As we only navigated from the marina (bridge 17 Ashby) to the winding hole at bridge 22 (near Stoke Golding), it would have been at one of these points. Lots of boats use bridge 22 as a nice stop off as it is really pretty and near a place to park, and also 19, as there is loads of pilings to moor to.

It was defnitely blue and the name displayed as in the photograph.

Sorry dear, i only just saw this thread, wish I had known sooner. I never forget a boat name you see, so I know the regulars on the canal.

Sorry, I'm confused again, (not hard with this one I know!).

The boat was "hired" out on March 2nd, with the owner doing the handover.

It has apparently been seen twice as recently as Sunday 15th March, (although at times that seem to contradict each other).

The relevance of it's appearance for any sigting before march 2nd is completely lost on me. Surely the owner knew what it looked like when he "hired" it, and anyway we are told on Sunday that the name is still on it unaltered.

Are we absolutely sure that none of the sightings are of one of the other boats called "Que Sera Sera" ?

why mate? i just asked when he saw the boat- as it seemed to be another sighting- everything is as exactly as it says nothing fishy at all mate please dont start this again we as a family are going through enough

regards

zoe

Still smells fishy to me.......................

dont worry mate it was stolen after this date but thanks for the post

regards

zoe (owners daughter)

Umm, this exact date isa tough one but it would have been around end of February, last weekend of February I think as we took our boat out for a cruise. As we only navigated from the marina (bridge 17 Ashby) to the winding hole at bridge 22 (near Stoke Golding), it would have been at one of these points. Lots of boats use bridge 22 as a nice stop off as it is really pretty and near a place to park, and also 19, as there is loads of pilings to moor to.

It was defnitely blue and the name displayed as in the photograph.

Sorry dear, i only just saw this thread, wish I had known sooner. I never forget a boat name you see, so I know the regulars on the canal.

I have had an amendment text to me by Carole - the sighting on Sunday morning was at Grimmers mooring

- she apologses for getting the wrong name before

No other news at the moment.

I am sure if we all keep spreading the word now with another weekend around the corner there will be boaters, dog walkers, anglers and cyclists out and about over the weekend to be extra eyes to look for it.

I have had an amendment text to me by Carole - the sighting on Sunday morning was at Grimmers mooring

- she apologses for getting the wrong name before

If by "Grimmer's mooring", it is meant the moorings operated by Mr D Grimmer, then that's virtually Shackerstone anyway, so doesn't really change the story.

I still challenge strongly that it was likely they got from there to the next sighting in only 4 hours, though.

Unless they reckoned they had been tumbled, it seems most odd that they had taken a fortnight to place themselves no more than a day and a half's cruising from where they "hired" the boat, but then decided to travel down the (shallow) Ashby at some phenomenal speed, (which might have got them instantly noticed by quite a few people ?).

It maybe doesn't make a big difference in the overall scheme of things, but I don't think all the information can be correct.

If they DID decide to cover 18 miles in just 4 hours, and keep that rate of progress up, then they could be a lot further away by the weekend.

Untill we know what actually happened we don't know what they did.

If they have access to tinternet they could google to see if there is any mention of the boat. A sighting on the Ashby maybe put a rocket under them to move.

I don't disagree at all, unfortunately, (unless you think the 18 miles in 4 hours was a likely scenario).

The trouble is that when people were that close to them on Sunday, there was a real chance of finding them.

If they think they have been rumbled, then they can now have gone a damn long way since, including past several junctions with a choice of routes.

By the weekend, it becomes rather like starting again, unfortunately.

I don't disagree at all, unfortunately, (unless you think the 18 miles in 4 hours was a likely scenario).

I am certain if I needed to I could achieve that on a canal with no locks. It is only 4 1/2 hours at 4 miles an hour and if you weren't too bothered you could do considerably more between boats and people

The trouble is that when people were that close to them on Sunday, there was a real chance of finding them.

Yes and the forum was arguing whether the theft actually occurred and not giving our usual support

If they think they have been rumbled, then they can now have gone a damn long way since, including past several junctions with a choice of routes.

Yes true - and?

By the weekend, it becomes rather like starting again, unfortunately.

It really wasn't the fault of the victims - we as a community gazed at our navels and assumed that since the victims didn't know how to ask it wasn't a real crisis

I cannot help by walking the towpaths this weekend but I hope that others can. These people need our help.

IF the boat has been sold on would it not be a good idea to phone Marina`s to check any new boats having taken up a mooring?

Or do i assume rightly or wrongly that all Marina`s are aware of this boat or that we have a forum member in every marina and this would be a waste of phone calls.

If they want to get as far away as possible and hide somewhere remote and unknown where no one will ever find them, they'll probably be coming past the end of our garden (Upwell, Middle Levels) real soon! I shall keep a lookout.

If they want to get as far away as possible and hide somewhere remote and unknown where no one will ever find them, they'll probably be coming past the end of our garden (Upwell, Middle Levels) real soon! I shall keep a lookout.

No way Athy, you are positively cosmopolitan: they'll have turned right at Floods Ferry, and be hiding out without earshot of the railway at Holme!

Seriously, if they did come this way, they will have been noted by Tina at Stanground, so it might be worth giving her a call.

MP.

No way Athy, you are positively cosmopolitan: they'll have turned right at Floods Ferry, and be hiding out without earshot of the railway at Holme!

Seriously, if they did come this way, they will have been noted by Tina at Stanground, so it might be worth giving her a call.

MP.

I guess we are "cosmopolitan" here: last Saturday there were three Lithuanians and two Poles (not boat Poles, though) in my local. But we aren't really metropolitan yet.

MP.

Thats true, no one gets past her without being noted. And if they try to get past Maurene they will be in big trouble