Que Sera Sera

Digipete

Featured Posts

Okay, I am over here in the states, But I feel the need to help out, maybe by compiling information;

So here it is,

Name: Que Sera Sera.

Owner: Carole and Tony

Make: Liverpool Boats

Size: 58 or 60 foot Cruiser Stern

Registration (or Index) #: 511284

Crime Number: XA-17173 2009 - Staffordshire Police - tel 0300 1234455

Initial call for help on forum: "HI ALL

LAST MONDAY 2ND MARCH 2009 OUR NARROWBOAT WAS STOLEN FROM STREETHAY MARINA

ITS A LIVERPOOL HULL, BLUE WITH CREAM COACH LINES AND THE NAME QUE SERA SERA ON IT

ITS 60FT IN LENGTH

IT HAS A MODERN BEACH INTERIOR WITH BLACK AND GREY THEME TROUGHOUT

WHEN IT WAS TAKEN IT HAD A LARGE FROG ORNAMENT ON TOP

IT HAS A CRATCH COVER ON THE FRONT IN BLUE ALSO

PLEASE EMAIL floandcaz@hotmail.co.uk IF YOU THINK YOU CAN HELP US OR KNOW ANYONE THAT MAYBE ABLE TO HELP US"

AND: IT WAS TAKEN MONDAY 2ND MARCH 2009 FROM STREETHAY MARINA AND WAS DUE TO RETURN FRIDAY 6TH MARCH 2009, SINCE THEN WE HAVE FOUND OUT THAT THE DETAILS LEFT WERE FRAUDULANT BY THE HIRERS.

NO THEY CANNOT BE TRACED AND PERSONAL DETAILS WE HOLD FOR THEM SEEM TO BE FALSE ALSO

Described as (from owner):

Cruiser stern cream coach lines

-Blue cratch cover and blue canopy round the cruiser stern

-When taken it did have a large frog ornament on the top

-Gunnel was undercoated dark grey with a blue edging

-The tiller pin is a brass frog

-It did have a metal yellow bucket on the front of the boat with coloured flowers in it.

-Looking closer on the ignition control panel outside several of the maintenance light covers are missing about the size of a ten pence next to the key hole.

-Back and front ropes are blue and the middle rope is a dull black

-The interior is all fitted in maple wood

-It had two bucket black chairs in

-It has a wood burner were flute is at the front of the boat

-Tiled around galley in dark grey small tiles

-Grey quarry tiles in galley (floor) the rest of the boat is all solid wood.

-It did have a black and white rug in the living area.

-The dinette covers are all black

-The dinette back panel moves across to face the tv to make a sofa when watching tv

-There was a nest of pine small tables in the living area

Further observations from members:

-Light wood cratch with two windows,

-Cratch cover has windows,

-Side hatch halfway down port side,

-Louvers at cruiser stern to vent engine,(looks like Lister Air cooling vents)

-Port holes look as if the top part flip/flops,

-4 x brass mushrooms,

-Fixed TV aerial at the front,

-Unusuallife ring,

-Venitian blinds.

-louvered rear deck drains

-Flue pipe IS installed (pictures were taken before the fact) Collar is unpainted.

The boat looks slightly unusual in having just one porthole either side. Most seem to have 2 or 3 either side now.

Also notice the (added?) three metal hoops either side above gunnel for the tube fender ropes.

Roof top pattern of smooth/rough sections might also be a help. Note there are 5 rough sections and 4 brass vents.

it would seem that only a skirt has been fitted to the rear deck as I cannot see any fixings for a separate tonneau cover - and that is very unusual. The three bungee fixings in the the side of the skirt is not very common either as most have two (if any at all as many cover fitters prefer other fixings) In addition, the drain cut outs in the handrail at the stern of the roof look more generous than normal - they appear to be at least four inches wide (although that might just be a consequence of camera angle)

Last sighted near junction with Ashby heading towards Coventry at around 13:30hrs 15/03/09. At 09:30hrs 15/03 was seen at Shakerstone.

The first sighting was made by a live aboard boater who is reported to be a reliable witness and described the boat to a tee!

The last sighting - a couple on the towpath spotted it - she remembered it because she started singing Que Sera Sera! they had seen it 30 mins before talking to the owners - They drove to The Anchor Inn (bridge 28) just beyond Hartshill and Tony waited there while their son ran all the way back to the canal junction - he did not see any moving boats in that time.

This is why they feel the boat had turned around.

The speculation: The owners covered as much of that area of canal as they could on Sunday and felt certain that as they had not spotted the boat and it was unlikely to have got very far ahead of them at that time it was possible it had turned somewhere and headed back - possibly back up the Ashby?

Photo Links

Canal World Post

Ebay Listing, for vacation rental.

Description of crime / Perpetrators:

IT WAS A FEMALE AND MALE THAT HIRED THE BOAT AND TOOK IT ON MONDAY 2ND MARCH 2009 FROM STREET HAY MARINA. my dad went with them to Fradley to show them the ropes as you say and make sure they are equiped and ready.

MALE - AGE LATE 20'S EARLY 30'S, AROUND 5FT 8IN goes by the name of Shaun (but this maybe false) Stocky build short mid brown hair - quite a good looking chap. last seen wearing a wolly beanie hat in a light beige colour, beige long sleeved wolly jumper and dark trousers, wearing trainers (only remember white) sorry no make.

WOMEN - AGE APPROX LATE 20'S NO OLDER-SMOKES ALOT - AROUND 5FT 5IN - slim dark shoulder lenth hair straight - distinctive mouth when she smiles shows all her gums. last seen wearing black trosers high heels shoes dark sleeveless top not dressed for boating AT ALL.

WHEN MY MOM AND DAD GOT TO FRADLEY THEY STAYED FOR A CUP OF TEA WHERE TWO ONLY MEN GOT ON THE BOAT AND THE HIRERS SAID IT WAS FRIENDS SHOWING THEM ROUND - WE HAVE HAD FURTHER INFORMATION TO SAY THEY LEFT WITH THEM - SO THREE MEN AND A WOMEN ON THE BOAT - BUT THE CAR AT THE MARINA WAS GONE TOO SO SOMEONE MUST BE OFF IT TO HAVE COLLECTED CAR BACK.

DESCRIPTION OF OTHER UNKNOWN TWO MEN ARE

BOTH MEN WERE ABOUT 5FT 10 IN MUSCULAR BUILD SHORT BROWN HAIR LAST SEEN WEARING JEANS AND TIGHT LIGHT COLURED T.SHIRTS THE KIND THAT SHOW MUSCLE (we were a distance from these so it was hard to id them)

This was as much information as I could find in both threads. I apologize profusely for utilizing multiple quotes without giving credit but that would have taken to much time. Good Luck Carole and Tony!

Edited by Liam

Thank you so much for taking the time to put all that information in one place Digipete.

Just goes to prove that everyone really does feel they want to help even if they are on the wrong continent to be able to spot the boat.

I will asl Carole which police force the crime is logged with - Streethay would be covered by West Midlands I think (as would Carole & Tony's home) but I will get clarification on that one for you

I had been thinking that it would be really helpful if someone could collate all of the relevant stuff in one place, but didn't have the time to do it myself.

Many thanks and very well done to Digipete :lol:

Now perhaps some kind Mod could take post #90 as the start of a definitive thread and delete or archive the rest?

Thank you so much for taking the time to put all that information in one place Digipete.

Just goes to prove that everyone really does feel they want to help even if they are on the wrong continent to be able to spot the boat.

I will asl Carole which police force the crime is logged with - Streethay would be covered by West Midlands I think (as would Carole & Tony's home) but I will get clarification on that one for you

Streethay is part of Lichfield which is covered by Staffordshire Police

Don

Edited by Don Don

We are still missing the HIN. It is of marginal use, because checking out a HIN involves sufficiently close peering at a boat that somebody might get upset about it. However, it would provide a good final check if anybody thinks they have found the boat.

Do we know whether the name is painted or Vinyls? If it was painted, then harder to disguise as part of a rushed repaint job.

We know that the boat was formerly called Blue Moon. Was there any trace of the old name showing on the boat? Even if only a shadow from the removal of Vinyls.

Did the boat licence show Blue Moon or Que Sera Sera? Going by the data from Jim Shead, the rename must have been very recent, but the pictures have a 2006 date on them, so perhaps the licence was still in the name of Blue Moon long after the name on the side was changed.

Given that this is a fairly anonymous boat, the licence would appear to be fairly crucial.

We are looking for a 58'-60' Cruiser stern Liverpool boat that is either painted Steel Blue, or has been recently re-painted.

Depending on how clever the thief is, ranging from least to most clever, the licence will be;

• The Que Sera Sera (or Blue Moon) licence
  • A fake or stolen licence that is for a non-existent boat, or for a boat that isn't an LB build
  • No licence
  • a fake or stolen licence that actually corresponds to a different LB boat that is elsewhere on the system.

So, the tactic must be that where people see a boat that could possibly be Que Sera Sera, clock the licence, and check the licence details against Jim Shead's site. If the licence details don't match the boat you saw, or there was no licence, we would have a potential match for the stolen boat.

If the boat was sited at 13.30 hrs on 15/3/09 less than 48 hrs ago was it in its original

livery and was Que Sera Sera lettering still on the boat ?

Or did the spotter recognise it via some other feature ?

If original livery then should be easy to spot and would suggest more detailed inspections for craft Nos etc should be carried out by proffessionals (police!) or else we could be discussing a more seriouse incedent.

cant download it....

Nor me. I get the following:

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

Stewey

Iirc they were singing the song, so I imagine the name was still present.

I must say I find this very odd behaviour on the part of the "hirers" if they are attempting to steal the boat. If the sightings are accurate then there does not seem to have been any attempt to disguise the boat in anyway or to move it away from relatively close proximity to its home base . In fact it is the sort of behaviour one would expect from normal hire use.

I am just wondering if there is any possibility that the original hirers have completely misunderstood the hire agreement as to when the boat was due back or possibly someone has been very clever and pretended to be the owners and hired it out again of even sold it to an unsuspecting customer.

I must say I find this very odd behaviour on the part of the "hirers" if they are attempting to steal the boat. If the sightings are accurate then there does not seem to have been any attempt to disguise the boat in anyway or to move it away from relatively close proximity to its home base . In fact it is the sort of behaviour one would expect from normal hire use.

I am just wondering if there is any possibility that the original hirers have completely misunderstood the hire agreement as to when the boat was due back or possibly someone has been very clever and pretended to be the owners and hired it out again of even sold it to an unsuspecting customer.

This is why I'v posted this twice now. To work out what the intentions of the hirers might or might not be, this could be a clue to where the boat is or the possible intentions of the hirers, It's basic detective work, but no one seems to have info on this.

I did mention earlier the circumstances of the hire, ID of hirers payment method etc. This could prove to be important info, as if the hirers have recieved false ID or paid in cash to avoid being traced in the money trail, then you could ascertain weather the cuouple are boat thieves using hire as a scam. It's strange that if this was the case as I initially suspected that the boat would be long gone now, so that sighting is important.

They could be just taking the mick, handing the boat to someone else for a freebee holiday. They could have got the details of the boat from the e-bay listing and used it to arrange viewing for a sale whilst on hire and piss off with the money. The boat could be in the hands of someone who thinks they now own it. Think outside the box a bit.

Edited by Julynian

hire it for one week cash paid then rent it out for whatever period ,lots of months rent in advance.

for some reason them on board dont think they have to scoot off with the boat.

the canals are full of nice trusting people waiting ,almost begging to be conned.

The camera was set-up incorrectly. (fact)

The photo's are recent.

I missed that amongst all the "noise", Keith.

Does this mean that the boat still has a solid fuel stove with no flue and chimney ?

(I can't really see that passing a BSS, though!).

As to the other questions, my take on latest information from cheshire~rose is that no attempt has been made to disguise the boat, or even paint out it's name.

As I've already said several times, these are either pretty stupid thieves, or there is more going down here than a simple theft, I can't help feeling.

Bu**ered if I can work out what it is, though.

If this boat, really is in the Coventry, or somewhere nearby, unaltered, with it's name still on, it can't be hard to locate, surely ?

i agree with the comments about the "Hirers",something is a bit strange,From the description of the woman,she sounds like she was dressed more for a professional role than a holiday maker.

Could someone have airbrushed out the Que Sera Sera bit,put the boat up for sale using the Ebay listing? or for hire?,for a short term hire the financial return would be to low to risk a Jail sentence,as others have said it does not all add up logically

The possible scam would be spotting this boat on e-bay selecting photos and info and advertising the boat for sale or hire elsewhere. Get some enquiries then hire the boat and possibly hire or sell on during the weeks hire. Minimal outlay for big profit.

You're not going to make much rehiring unless for a long period, but again could be profitable.

Other possibility is stripping the voat of valuable parts, although I would think this would have been done and dusted within the hire time and boat abandoned. So think the boat will be intact.

Again the hirers and circumstances of hire could an important clue to finding it.

Edited by Julynian