STOLEN NARROWBOAT

Liam

Featured Posts

I suppose the problem is that if those who have the boat also have the Internet, they could be picking up a lot of tips on what to disguise. :lol:

I think the only one porthole per side thing might be quite distinctive, particularly on a boat this long, where two might be the norm.

Also, whilst that "curtain" (sorry don't know what they are called) around the back may have been removed, it will either have left a load of fastenings, or damage where they have been taken off. I know quite a few boats have this kind of thing, but one that goes right to hooks on the cabin side might not be that common.

I still think the "hirers" may be as easy to spot as anything, particularly if with a Liverpool boat that might, but might not be Que Sera Sera. The best possible description of them would surely help ?

I don't know if others have experienced this problem but when you've given your boat a DIY paint job, no matter how much you've sanded the old paint and prepared it, you're still able to spot, if you look closely, the old rubbing strakes (if you've moved them) and the old name (if you've renamed it, or relocated it).

Maybe that's also something to keep an eye out for? If the name was vinyl stickers than it makes it easier to spot I think.

I suppose the problem is that if those who have the boat also have the Internet, they could be picking up a lot of tips on what to disguise. :lol:

I think the only one porthole per side thing might be quite distinctive, particularly on a boat this long, where two might be the norm.

Also, whilst that "curtain" (sorry don't know what they are called) around the back may have been removed, it will either have left a load of fastenings, or damage where they have been taken off. I know quite a few boats have this kind of thing, but one that goes right to hooks on the cabin side might not be that common.

I still think the "hirers" may be as easy to spot as anything, particularly if with a Liverpool boat that might, but might not be Que Sera Sera. The best possible description of them would surely help ?

To go a little further with Alan's theory: it would seem that only a skirt has been fitted to the rear deck as I cannot see any fixings for a separate tonneau cover - and that is very unusual. The three bungee fixings in the the side of the skirt is not very common either as most have two (if any at all as many cover fitters prefer other fixings) In addition, the drain cut outs in the handrail at the stern of the roof look more generous than normal - they appear to be at least four inches wide (although that might just be a consequence of camera angle). Clutching at straws a bit but we all notice different things.

Good luck with your search.

Giles.

I'd noticed them too, they look rather like Lister air vents. Certainly not something I would expect to see on a Liverpool boat.

They certainly do look like "Lister" vents. If there was an air cooled lister in there I could identify it from 50 yards with my eyes shut!!!

Another little thought - much earlier in this thread the fact that this boat will be built to the RCD and should have a CIN (Craft identification number) was mentioned.

Presumably this has been stamped on the stern in letters at least 6mm high but it should also have been put in a "secret place" which should be known only to the manufacturer.

It would be a good idea if the actual number was posted on here (check with LB if it isn't known?) and also might be worth checking with them to see if a duplicate number was put in a hidden place. (But for obvious reasons DON'T publish where that is!!!).

I haven't kept up with the current status of LB - presumably there is still some part of them in existence to ask?

Richard

It would not be Liverpool who applied the CIN number, unless they did the fit out as well, which from the pictures posted they almost certainly did not. The CIN will/should have been applied to the boat by the person(s) who completed the build. Posting it on here, and anywhere else relevant, would be helpful. So would a description of the people who hired it. Also, whether or not it had a hire licence as opposed to an ordinary private one - in which case either that will help others to identify the boat, or to look out for a not too old cruiser-sterned Liverpool Boat with no licence displayed.

With reference to the boat name. Shouldn't we just be shrugging our shoulders (in a gallic manner)?

Quick edit to say I have every sympathy with the owner and walked Rugby to Newbold, yesterday and will be walking Rugby to Hillmorton, this afternoon.

Edited by carlt

The database on Jim Smead's website throws up 3 boats named "Que Sera Sera" but none match the length of the missing one.

And none of those are built by Liverpool Boats.

(BTW It's Jim Shead).

It would be interesting to know who fitted it - not LB presumably, as I can't see them selling a boat with a multifuel stove, but no flue.

I'm not sure anybody has said that have they ?

I certainly can't recall seeing it.

Now you have offered a fuller explanation, it's easier for those not involved to understand.

I can now appreciate that:

"LAST MONDAY 2ND MARCH 2009 OUR NARROWBOAT WAS STOLEN FROM STREETHAY MARINA"

actually means "we hired it to someone who failed to bring it back on the Friday". However, normally "was stolen from" would be interpreted as "was taken without the owners consent". This was clearly taken "with the owners consent", even if the intention was to steal it.

How did they pay you ? I'm assuming it was not in a way that allows them to be traced ?

Alan

QUOTE (long john @ Mar 11 2009, 01:44 AM) *

I am commenting in complete and utter ignorance having not read the slightest part of any posts except the original post, but which way was it going ? whats up ? whats down? Give me a clue and I'll find it ?

THE BOAT HASN'T BEEN STOLEN!

I am commenting in complete and utter ignorance having not read the slightest part of any posts except the original post, but which way was it going ? whats up ? whats down? Give me a clue and I'll find it ?

what is your point?

what is your point?

I suspect Kiki was just trying to quote the post by "Long John", and the quoting has gone wrong.

So I apologise, there does appear to have been one poster questioning, (in a rather bizarre way!), the honesty of the owners.

I still don't think that really justifies a comment that....

IT UPSETS ME TO SEE THAT SO MANY PEOPLE CAN BE HURTFUL IN THEIR COMMENTS DONT UNDERSTAND IT REALLY?

OK one forum member, (and a very new one), seems to have made an unsubstantiated claim, but that's all I'm seeing.

I still don't really understand why we are not being given details of....

1) The hirers.

2) How they presumably were able to pay in an untraceable way.

3) Boat's CIN number.

4) BW licence registration details.

5) Last definite sighting of the boat.

It's all very well people saying "let's get on with finding it", but more information could substantially increase the chances, and I really don't understand why it's not being given.

If Tony and Carole would prefer not to post any of this, then they should say so, but it will not help their chances, in my view.

Edited by alan_fincher

I suspect Kiki was just trying to quote the post by "Long John", and the quoting has gone wrong.

So I apologise, there does appear to have been one poster questioning, (in a rather bizarre way!), the honesty of the owners.

I still don't think that really justifies a comment that....

OK one forum member, (and a very new one), seems to have made an unsubstantiated claim, but that's all I'm seeing.

I still don't really understand why we are not being given details of....

1) The hirers.

2) How they presumably were able to pay in an untraceable way.

3) Boat's CIN number.

4) BW licence registration details.

5) Last definite sighting of the boat.

It's all very well people saying "let's get on with finding it", but more information could substantially increase the chances, and I really don't understand why it's not being given.

If Tony and Carole would prefer not to post any of this, then they should say so, but it will not help their chances, in my view.

It would seem from their posts that the owners are Computer/Internet/Forum novices either understanding of how to do things or understand how some people react to such posts. So, we need to make sure that we are patient and guide them in a positive way.

I agree with your list except point 2. I don't see how knowing that is going to help me spot the boat or the people who took it. In fact I think it is none of our business. I guess the CIN is only going to help if someone gets the chance to get on the boat and look down the engine 'ole. Not something I woudl recommend in the circumstances. It will of course help the police to know that as evidence of ownership.

hillmorton fitted the boat

regards

carole and tony (boat owners)

And none of those are built by Liverpool Boats.

(BTW It's Jim Shead).

It would be interesting to know who fitted it - not LB presumably, as I can't see them selling a boat with a multifuel stove, but no flue.

Details of Stolen Item

Catagory:NarrowboatMake/Model:narrowboat Craft Length:17.37m HIN/Serial No:LBL04602 Datatag: Date theft reported:06 Mar 2009 Theft Location:Burscough Description:Narrowboat stolen early hours of Frirday 6th March 2009 from Leeds & Liverpool Canal. 57 foot in length

Edited by Gary Peacock

Details of Stolen Item

Catagory:NarrowboatMake/Model:narrowboat Craft Length:17.37m HIN/Serial No:LBL04602 Datatag: Date theft reported:06 Mar 2009 Theft Location:Burscough Description:Narrowboat stolen early hours of Frirday 6th March 2009 from Leeds & Liverpool Canal. 57 foot in length

Is this anotherone garry?