STOLEN NARROWBOAT

Liam

Featured Posts

THE ORIGINAL POST WAS NOT FROM US IT WAS THROUGH SOMEONE IN FRADLEY

WE OWN THE BOAT CAROLE AND TONY - WE HAVE JUST POSTED ANOTHER MESSAGE TO EVERYONE SO THEY KNOW WHAT IT DID LOOK LIKE

IT WAS TAKEN MONDAY 2ND MARCH 2009 FROM STREETHAY MARINA AND WAS DUE TO RETURN FRIDAY 6TH MARCH 2009, SINCE THEN WE HAVE FOUND OUT THAT THE DETAILS LEFT WERE FRAUDULANT BY THE HIRERS

SO YES IT HAS BEEN STOLEN CANT BELIEVE THIS IS QUESTIONNED WHO WOULD SAY A BOAT HAD BEEN STOLEN WHEN IT WASNT

THIS IS OUR LIFE- WITHOUT THIS WE HAVE NOTHING WE HAVE LOST EVERYTHING AND IT SADDENS ME TO THINK THAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING WE WOULD LIE ABOUT SUCH A THING

Some clarification would seem to be needed from someone though.

The original post talks of a boat that failed to return (on Sunday) after a weekend's hiring, and gives contacts as Simon, Nicky & Les.

But apparently the owners are Carole and Tony.

But they say it was taken on Monday, (2nd).

So who does own it, when did it disappear, and when and where has it been seen since ?

As Bargee Boy says, if it went missing well over a week ago, it could be anywhere, and any colour by now, so people need more accurate info about what is known, (or to have any wrong information already given corrected).

THIS IS OUR LIFE- WITHOUT THIS WE HAVE NOTHING WE HAVE LOST EVERYTHING AND IT SADDENS ME TO THINK THAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING WE WOULD LIE ABOUT SUCH A THING

I'm not sure anybody has said that have they ?

I certainly can't recall seeing it.

Now you have offered a fuller explanation, it's easier for those not involved to understand.

I can now appreciate that:

"LAST MONDAY 2ND MARCH 2009 OUR NARROWBOAT WAS STOLEN FROM STREETHAY MARINA"

actually means "we hired it to someone who failed to bring it back on the Friday". However, normally "was stolen from" would be interpreted as "was taken without the owners consent". This was clearly taken "with the owners consent", even if the intention was to steal it.

How did they pay you ? I'm assuming it was not in a way that allows them to be traced ?

Alan

HI THIS IS THE OWNER I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING BUT WE ARE NEW TO COMPUTERS LET ALONE UNDERSTANDING THIS SITE

IT WAS HIRED OUT MONDAY 2ND MARCH 2009 FROM STREETHAY MARINA AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN RETURNED FRIDAY 6TH MARCH. IT WAS DUE TO BE HIRED OUT THAT FRIDAY FOR THE WEEKEND BUT OBVIOUSLY THE BOAT HAS NOT RETURNED SO THATS WERE THE CONFUSION MUST LIE?

REGARDS

CAROLE AND TONY

Dominic,

I'm sure what you say is probably correct, particularly if you have heard it at Streethay.

But that now makes at least three versions of the story...

1) The operators, (presumably) say failed to return after a weekend's hire.

2) The owners say stolen from marina, and don't mention hiring.

3) You say failed to return after a week's hire, echoing Bargee Boy's comments.

I feel very sorry for the owners, but if they want this boat back, they would do them self a great favour by publishing the exact facts surrounding it'd disappearance.

Currently we have....

1) An externally fairly anonymous Liverpool Boat, of typical length

2) Only one external picture.

3) No identifying features

4) Don't know when last seen, or by who.

A tall order to find that, I'd suggest, particularly as I bet it's not blue now.

Alan

NO THEY CANNOT BE TRACED AND PERSONAL DETAILS WE HOLD FOR THEM SEEM TO BE FALSE ALSO

A FRIEND ADVISED US TO USE THIS SITE AS PEOPLE MAY BE ABLE TO HELP US

IT UPSETS ME TO SEE THAT SO MAY PEOPLE CAN BE HURTFUL IN THEIR COMMENTS DONT UNDERSTAND IT REALLY?

THIS BOAT IS HIRED TO MAINTAIN THE UPKEEP BUT IT REMAINS VERY MUCH A FAMILY BOAT.

FOR EXAMPLE WE HAVE TO THIS WEEKEND EXPLAIN TO A FOUR YEAR OLD GRANDSON THAT THEY CANT COME ON GRANMA AND GRANDADS BOAT BECAUSE IT IS NOT THERE

REGARDS

CAROLE AND TONY

I'm not sure anybody has said that have they ?

I certainly can't recall seeing it.

Now you have offered a fuller explanation, it's easier for those not involved to understand.

I can now appreciate that:

"LAST MONDAY 2ND MARCH 2009 OUR NARROWBOAT WAS STOLEN FROM STREETHAY MARINA"

actually means "we hired it to someone who failed to bring it back on the Friday". However, normally "was stolen from" would be interpreted as "was taken without the owners consent". This was clearly taken "with the owners consent", even if the intention was to steal it.

How did they pay you ? I'm assuming it was not in a way that allows them to be traced ?

Alan

So is the last positive sighting of the boat on Monday 2nd March, when it was handed over to the bogus hirers ? (Which I make about 10 days ago).

Or has it been spotted anywhere since, please ? If so, where and when, and are you confident of the information.

Sorry I am trying to help you, but previous hunts have only worked because people have been meticulous about the information supplied.

Alan.

Just a thought: Has anything been said about the "hirers" : number of, ages, sex, build, etc. Whilst you can disguise a boat, if you are (for example) short and bald, that's a bit harder to cover up.

People are not being hurtfull, they just wanted a clear picture of the facts.

You will find them all extremely helpful, and I am sure someone will find your boat, there are plent of 'eyes' out there looking now.

I hope for your sake it is not me who finds it as I am languishing in New Zealand!

Good Luck.

PS, please don't post all in capital letters - it is similar to shouting in the 'real world'

:lol:

IT UPSETS ME TO SEE THAT SO MAY PEOPLE CAN BE HURTFUL IN THEIR COMMENTS DONT UNDERSTAND IT REALLY?

As you haven't detailed which people, or which comments have upset you, it's hard for me to comment.

Clearly you don't like something that has been said, but I've not re-read the whole of the merged threads to see what that might be.

People on here have had a very good record of finding stolen boats, so you should remain hopeful, although a 10 day head-start of course makes it heaps harder.

You really should try and get your insurer to get the boat on this site:

http://www.stolenboats.org.uk/

This results in a lot of people receiving an email about it, thus increasing who is looking.

There is another narrow boat stolen this month on there, but I note yours is not.

Still trying to help !

Alan

HI THIS IS THE OWNER. WE DO WANT TO GIVE AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE BUT ITS VERY HARD. WE HAVE ADDED ANOTHER MESSAGE THIS EVENING WITH MORE DETAILS AND SOMONE FROM HERE HAS SAID THEY WILL POST PHOTS ON HERE FOR US AS WE DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE THE SITE VERY WELL.

REGARDS

CAROLE AND TONY

No news other than it failed to return from hire.

Strange the owners don`t seem to want to give more info on the boat. We are all more than willing to help but they don`t seem to be wanting help. Just have to look out for the boat as described but as we all know that could be changed by now so some thing to distinguish it would help.

HI THIS IS THE OWNER. WE DO WANT TO GIVE AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE BUT ITS VERY HARD. WE HAVE ADDED ANOTHER MESSAGE THIS EVENING WITH MORE DETAILS AND SOMONE FROM HERE HAS SAID THEY WILL POST PHOTS ON HERE FOR US AS WE DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE THE SITE VERY WELL.

REGARDS

CAROLE AND TONY

No news other than it failed to return from hire.

Strange the owners don`t seem to want to give more info on the boat. We are all more than willing to help but they don`t seem to be wanting help. Just have to look out for the boat as described but as we all know that could be changed by now so some thing to distinguish it would help.

The boat looks slightly unusual in having just one porthole either side. Most seem to have 2 or 3 either side now.

Also notice the (added?) three metal hoops either side above gunnel for the tube fender ropes.

Roof top pattern of smooth/rough sections might also be a help. Note there are 5 rough sections and 4 brass vents.

Does anyone notice any other possible external ID points to pick up on?

Unfortunately the last week has been dry so if paint was applied it would be dry. Given that boats colour scheme may now be different by now.

Edited by Tiny

Hi Carole & Tony,

Welcome to the forum!

Can I please just take a moment to commend your efforts at managing to get your head around using this forum at such a difficult time. Please try not to be offended by things that have been said - there is often a lot of speculation on this site when people are really attempting to get some solid facts that they can act upon. We all want to try and help locate your boat for you and while there was little to go on in the way of detail people get frustrated when they cannot actively help. Generally speaking you have come to join a group which are renowned for being extremely friendly and helpful. We want to welcome you and most of all assist you at this horrendous time which must be nothing short of a nightmare for you.

One point (which has been said before) You are new to the internet and so you will not realise that when typing in all upper case it can be seen as shouting and some people might consider it quite rude. Of course as you are new to this no one will mind at all - its all part of the big learning curve :lol:

There is no need for you to introduce yourself as the owner each time to post either. People following this thread will be accustomed to looking to the side to see who the person posting is.

The sort of things which would be very helpful are:

Details of any specific bespoke build details or modifications done to the shell of your boat which might be hard to conceal with a coat of paint. and any description or details of the people to took charge of the boat at the time it was hired out.

Again we are all hoping your nightmare will come to a happy ending very soon

Absolutely agree with the above.

It has taken time to get where we are now so lets keep our fingers crossed.

Onwards and upwards!

Martyn

I'll second that!

Just a thought, are there any CCTV's in operation anywhere near where the boat was picked up or where it was last seen, which by the way, we have still yet to hear of, might be useful if the owners had a word around or maybe someone on here may know?

Edited by johnjo

Just want to add my commiserations for the loss of your boat and my hopes that it will soon be found!

Also to point out from the photos in case it helps - the one of the interior looking forward shows the stove has NO flue pipe fitted. Is this because the photo was taken before the stove installation was completed or was it still like that when it left Streethay.

Was there a flue collar fitted to the roof or is this not yet installed either.

Unusual features like this may slow down any attempts by the "hirers" to disguise the boat.

Richard

Not an expert on NB designs so forgive the question if daft, but are they louvered rear deck drains, not noticed any boats with them before?

Pointed them out in case they help identify the stolen boat, bit difficult to disguise.

Edited by johnjo

Not an expert on NB designs so forgive the question if daft, but are they louvered rear deck drains, not noticed any boats with them before?

I'd noticed them too, they look rather like Lister air vents. Certainly not something I would expect to see on a Liverpool boat.

Pointed them out in case they help identify the stolen boat, bit difficult to disguise.

No they are ventilation holes for the engine bay.

Most Liverpool boats seem to have them.

Good question about the stove, but as the date on the pictures is over 3 years ago, I suspect the stove has long since been "plumbed in" and that there will be a chimney collar at the front left hand side.

It would be good if Carole could confirm, that though.

I'd noticed them too, they look rather like Lister air vents. Certainly not something I would expect to see on a Liverpool boat.

Now you have me doubting what I just posted!

I thought there had been discussions on here about people on the Thames tideway worried about having these, and asking whether they could block them off for the choppy waters, or whether the engine would overheat.

No, I stick by my original view, I think - many LB boats have them, I feel sure.

FOUND IT:

In this thread.....

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=17431

its a Liverpool boat with a Isuzu 45 engine water cooled the vents are about 18in off the water line. they are 10in x 6in. I want to go down to limehouse or a bit further, may be I could design some sort of water tight vent . any idea's
Edited by alan_fincher

Another little thought - much earlier in this thread the fact that this boat will be built to the RCD and should have a CIN (Craft identification number) was mentioned.

Presumably this has been stamped on the stern in letters at least 6mm high but it should also have been put in a "secret place" which should be known only to the manufacturer.

It would be a good idea if the actual number was posted on here (check with LB if it isn't known?) and also might be worth checking with them to see if a duplicate number was put in a hidden place. (But for obvious reasons DON'T publish where that is!!!).

I haven't kept up with the current status of LB - presumably there is still some part of them in existence to ask?

Richard

Now you have me doubting what I just posted!

I thought there had been discussions on here about people on the Thames tideway worried about having these, and asking whether they could block them off for the choppy waters, or whether the engine would overheat.

No, I stick by my original view, I think - many LB boats have them, I feel sure.

Ok, so it could be a feature I've never noticed before, but I'll now be checking every Scouseboat I see (on its left hand side) for 3.5 'bus' windows, one small split porthole, a fairly large expanse of unbroken steelwork, cruiser stern and a 'Lister' vent, and I think that's precisely the sort of detail we were asking for.

Until fairly recently I wasn't aware of the Liverpool 'signature' swirl on the bow, might it be worth someone posting a close-up?

Other points I've seen from the pics are:-

Light wood cratch with two windows,

Cratch cover has windows,

Side hatch halfway down port side,

Louvers at cruiser stern to vent engine,

Port holes look as if the top part flip/flops,

4 x brass mushrooms,

Fixed TV aerial at the front,

Unusual [to me anyway] life ring,

Venitian blinds,

Also don't NBs have to show the registration No: together with the licence, can we have these details please Carol & Tony.

Edited by johnjo