Old 1970s Negatives - Part 5 (2nd INSTALLMENT)

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

SEEMS I CAN ONLY POST SO MANY IMAGES IN ONE THREAD, SO SPLITTING IT. - HERE's 2ND PART

Going through my old book of 1970s black & white negatives have turned up quite a few all shot on the Regents Canal at locations between Camden Lock and the Hertford Union Canal.

Although shot on three different occasions, all seem to have been dull or misty days, meaning that the PanF film that many are on was not an appropriate type. That coupled with no light meter would explain negatives that have poor exposure, camera shake, (or both!).

None-the-less, I have had several requests to publish further archive pictures, so I make no excuse for the quality, but hope they make up for it in atmosphere. Despite commercial traffic being dead by then, they still show a view of the Regents that has long since gone. Undoubtedly it is nicer to cruise now it is largely sanitised, but I’m glad I have these old memories too.

Islington Tunnel (Eastern End)

Zen_012_23_Islington_Tunnel_Eastern.jpg

View from the Tunnel ??

Zen_012_22_Near_East_End_Islington_.jpg

City Road Locks

Zen_012_25_City_Road_Lock.jpg

Zen_012_27_City_Road_Lock.jpg

City Road Basin

EDIT: I originally goofed, and said this is now home of the London Canal Museum - total rubbish of course - that's Battlebridge Basin, (which this isn't!)

Zen_012_26_City_Road_Basin.jpg

Possibly opposite Wenlock Basin ?

Note the stunning positioning of the bollards, and hence where the mooring lines end up!

Warbler was one of the ‘Jam ‘Ole’ recreation boats.

Zen_012_28_Possibly_Near_Wenlock_Ba.jpg

Approaching and at Sturt’s Locks (I think – confirmation would be appreciated)

Zen_012_29_Above_Sturts_Lock.jpg

Zen_012_30_Above_Sturts_Lock.jpg

Zen_012_31_Sturts_Lock.jpg

Zen_012_32_Sturts_Lock.jpg

Zen_012_33_Sturts_Lock.jpg

Appalling photo, but just look at the debris.....

Zen_012_35_Sturts_Lock.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

Note the stunning positioning of the bollards, and hence where the mooring lines end up!

Warbler was one of the 'Jam 'Ole' recreation boats.

I wonder if the bollards weren't set back so as not to interfere with any horse drawn lighter traffic

But the name on that motor is driving me insane - what is it?

It's possibly composite, looks like a Josher, and I'm seeing six letters unless one or more are missing. KETINS - CETIUS - CYPRESS??? None of those? At least not the first two.

Warbler was one of the 'Jam 'Ole' recreation boats.

Certainly a great way of slowing modern day cyclists! :lol:

Great pictures, Alan. I hope you have more.....!

Stewey

It's possibly composite, looks like a Josher, and I'm seeing six letters unless one or more are missing. KETINS - CETIUS - CYPRESS??? None of those? At least not the first two.

Python.

Paul H

The motor tied up against factories on the far side, above Sturt's Locks is 'Python'. [EDIT: Paul just beat me to it!]. The pictures are poor, but I tried to include ones with boats in.

Where is it now, I wonder ?

Few of the BW boats in my old photographs can be identified from the photos, although I do know what some are, (have turned up negatives of Cambourne, for example).

The town class motor that's on the move in some of these threads, and moored above St Pancras lock in others is, if I recall right, 'Aber'. It's not readable, but does look to be a 4 letter name. If so, it's usually found at Slapton lock.

Owl, I was not expecting.

Edited by alan_fincher

Aaaaah - relief!

Thank you gents.

Edit: Hmmm - built of "coppered" steel - Yarwoods, fitted out at Uxbridge.

Now shortened to about 55ft and available for heritage "lease" by BW. Is/was based around Little Venice and has taked part in the Cavalcade.

Python piccy (scroll to bottom of page.

Paul H

PS Why do I wish canals were as sordid as they used to be?

Edited by Paul H

Now shortened to about 55ft and available for heritage "lease" by BW. Is/was based around Little Venice and has taked part in the Cavalcade.

Python piccy (scroll to bottom of page.

Paul H

PS Why do I wish canals were as sordid as they used to be?

Thanks Paul, glad to see it has survived. Looks like the engine has been put in the back cabin. Still beautiful lines though. What future now with BW chopping their own legs off? Waterways heritage lease - sounds iffy.

The 'historic' side of industrial waterways has rapidly been demolished for theme park attractiveness - but for who? Those who come to admire spend little enough on the 'improved' attraction, and probably would be the same people who would have chucked their old washing machine and garden waste in if it had been left as before. The new 'loft livers' in their chic 'warehouse like' apartment may like the pretty coloured boats, but not the pretty coloured chimney smoke. You are not alone in your thoughts.

Derek