Non slip roof and gunwales

Featured Posts

We used International interdeck and it didn't seem to be waterproof as we had a lot of rust on our roof very soon afterwards.

Sue

It needs a good primer and undercoat, before applying.

Ours is OK, and that is after all our salty travels.

In ten years have repainted the roof twice, more due to it getting grubby.

I wanted non slip on the roof as we work the boat a lot of the time from up there, but I did not want to go to the whole hog of having gritty paint on the roof.

By co-incidence Interdeck was available in virtually the same shade of light grey, that is Earnest's base colour.

It needs a good primer and undercoat, before applying.

Ours is OK, and that is after all our salty travels.

In ten years have repainted the roof twice, more due to it getting grubby.

I wanted non slip on the roof as we work the boat a lot of the time from up there, but I did not want to go to the whole hog of having gritty paint on the roof.

By co-incidence Interdeck was available in virtually the same shade of light grey, that is Earnest's base colour.

Yes we used light grey and it was well prepared and primed etc. It just didn't work on our boat.

Sue

Personal comments, foul language and veiled threats towards a forum member?

You're certainly not somebody I would choose to do business with, however good you claim your product to be.

Janet

Personal comments, foul language and veiled threats towards a forum member?

"Veiled" ?

I can't see the "veiled", only the threats.

If there is a product out there, I can now imagine a host of people who will make a point of not buying it.

Post removed.

I think the moderators might like to remove this Fwit from here, I fail to see what he is contributing to this forum.

Your attitude is not acceptable to me and I would hope not to anyone else here.

BTW, I have never met David and I'm sure he can handle himself, but should you ever carry out your threat, I would advise you keep a wary eye over your shoulder for a long long time, and not just for me.

I have no further intention of adding another post to this thread, so please don't waste your time with further threats.

I have obviously missed something, I have received a supportive PM from another member which refers to threats etc, but I am completely oblivious, as the "offending" post has been removed by the moderators, without me seeing it. I assume that our good friend Sid has offered to injure me in some way, but without knowing what he has threatened, I am unable to respond, although I see he is demanding an apology But for what I do not know, I thought it was he who insulted me, or have I missed something else?

Edited by David Schweizer

I have obviously missed something, I have received a supportive PM from another member which refers to threats etc, but I am completely oblivious, as the "offending" post has been removed by the moderators, without me seeing it. I assume that our good friend Sid has offered to injure me in some way, but without knowing what he has threatened, I am unable to respond, although I see he is demanding an apology But for what I do not know, I thought it was he who insulted me, or have I missed something else?

David See your PM again.

You would probably slip his punches.......... unless you used his product :lol:

Hi

Well what is the norm to create a non slip surface if any on the boats roof etc, I have seen sand mixed with paint, is that it???? I wondered if anyone has a preference on this matter :lol:

non slip paints are all well and good, but i would just make a couple of points.speaking from experience non slip paints hold water on their surface. it only takes a couple of pinholes in the paint and the amount and depth of the rust growing under the paint has to be seen to be believed,Also why on earth are you going to be hoofing it around on the roof of your boat on a regular enough basis to warrant slip proof paint , when you could wear non slip footwear for a fraction of the price???

non slip paints are all well and good, but i would just make a couple of points.speaking from experience non slip paints hold water on their surface. it only takes a couple of pinholes in the paint and the amount and depth of the rust growing under the paint has to be seen to be believed,Also why on earth are you going to be hoofing it around on the roof of your boat on a regular enough basis to warrant slip proof paint , when you could wear non slip footwear for a fraction of the price???

In my view the fastest way from back to front of a narrowboat is up the roof, especially if there are people inside blocking the gangway. On my boat I need to go up the roof to get the plank or pole and it was the builder who put their brackets there, I assume because it keeps them clear of the centre line. In my case I also need to do it to set up the TV aerial pole, but that is choice.

I also know from experience that many "non-slip" shoes are net when used on wet surfaces, let alone glossy ones.

I used Protectacoat in the front well deck and it lasted well, including resisting the anchor being dumped onto it so I also had the painter use it on the centre 2/3 of the roof & the gunwales. In the later cases the surface was properly prepared and primed with the recommended number of coats applied and apart from one factor all surfaces have lasted well.

The one thing protectacoat does is the pigmented paint wears from the top of the rubber granules giving the surface a dark tinge. This is easily sorted by a regular scrub down and overcoat with either floor paint or Phil's Raddle. the fact the rubber gets exposed makes me very cautious about using sand and paint on steel surfaces and when I stripped some of the gunwales it was obvious that water had penetrated the surface and rust was creeping under the surface.

Its horses for courses, use what you are happy with but I certainly am impressed with the product I mention.

In my view the fastest way from back to front of a narrowboat is up the roof, especially if there are people inside blocking the gangway. On my boat I need to go up the roof to get the plank or pole and it was the builder who put their brackets there, I assume because it keeps them clear of the centre line. In my case I also need to do it to set up the TV aerial pole, but that is choice.

I also know from experience that many "non-slip" shoes are net when used on wet surfaces, let alone glossy ones.

I used Protectacoat in the front well deck and it lasted well, including resisting the anchor being dumped onto it so I also had the painter use it on the centre 2/3 of the roof & the gunwales. In the later cases the surface was properly prepared and primed with the recommended number of coats applied and apart from one factor all surfaces have lasted well.

-

The one thing protectacoat does is the pigmented paint wears from the top of the rubber granules giving the surface a dark tinge. This is easily sorted by a regular scrub down and overcoat with either floor paint or Phil's Raddle. the fact the rubber gets exposed makes me very cautious about using sand and paint on steel surfaces and when I stripped some of the gunwales it was obvious that ;water had penetrated the surface and rust was creeping under the surface.

Its horses for courses, use what you are happy with but I certainly am impressed with the product I mention.

My point exactly Tony, i first noticed rust on the roof of our boat in about 3 or 4 places. It did'nt look too bad initially, mabe as big as bottom of a coke can. but on further investigation the damage underneath was pretty horrendous. and getting the damned stuff off the roof and down to steel was the stuff of nightmares. some of the damage was so deep it needed car body filler to make it good for primer and paint.

Edited by canalchris

Thank you those who reported the offending post above (now removed). The member has now been removed from the site on a permanent basis.

Many thanks,

Jon

Excellent,

I hate to see any form of attempted bullying or intimidation in any walk of life, and certainly don't expect it on here.

What surprised me about this incident is that the person had appeared as an apparently credible member, asked some reasonable questions, and people, (as they always do), had invested some effort in the answers given.

It makes the outburst that then followed even less understandable, (to me, at least).

Good to see a very forthright decision on the matter.

Excellent,

I hate to see any form of attempted bullying or intimidation in any walk of life, and certainly don't expect it on here.

What surprised me about this incident is that the person had appeared as an apparently credible member, asked some reasonable questions, and people, (as they always do), had invested some effort in the answers given.

It makes the outburst that then followed even less understandable, (to me, at least).

Good to see a very forthright decision on the matter.

I largely agree and applaud Jon's decision.

I too was surprised at the outburst from the poster in question, as I was not aware of any hint of agression in his previous posts.

May I thank all those people who posted support here and sent me PM's, and to Jon for Messaging me and taking the action he took.

Someone has since sent me a transcript of the offending paragraph. I am both shocked and surprised at what was said, and moreover, baffled as to why it was said. But thanks everyone, lets just hope his bark is worse than his bite.

May I thank all those people who posted support here and sent me PM's, and to Jon for Messaging me and taking the action he took.

Someone has since sent me a transcript of the offending paragraph. I am both shocked and surprised at what was said, and moreover, baffled as to why it was said. But thanks everyone, lets just hope his bark is worse than his bite.

Wouldn't worry David:

1) It would be silly to act after threatening somebody on a public forum.

2) I am sure you can look after yourself.

3) People who make threats rarely act; as I said in a p.m. it is those who don't threaten that need watching. Threats are just that.