I'm going boating!

Jon

Featured Posts

Hi guys,

It's my 21st in August, so I've hired the day boat out from Rose Narrowboats in Stretton-under-Fosse. I plan to go as far as Hillmorton Locks, passing through Rugby. Does anyone have any recommendations for pubs for food or any sights to see along the route?

Cheers

Jon

Hey Jon,

Can't remember pubs etc... exactly but most of them were great!

I've done that route and it is v nice (i hope i remember rightly :lol: ) and i hope you have a great day!

Sam!

Hi guys,

It's my 21st in August, so I've hired the day boat out from Rose Narrowboats in Stretton-under-Fosse. I plan to go as far as Hillmorton Locks, passing through Rugby. Does anyone have any recommendations for pubs for food or any sights to see along the route?

Cheers

Jon

25753[/snapback]

Congratulations, I can just abpout remember mine!!

We have just been through there twice in the last couple of weeks. You haven't chosen a route excactly inundated with pubs Jon. There are two at Newbold, they are both ok but nothing special (they are really locals for the village rather than for Boaters), and there is one at Brownsover which I havent visited so I can't comment. Thats it, unless you are prepared to go through the locks and on for another mile to bridge 73 (I think) the Pub there is OK but there is only enough mooring for two boats outside, you can moor on the towpath opposite and get to the pub via the road bridge, there is a winding hole just beyond the marina next to the pub. The only other palce I can think of is the Bistro between the first two pairs of locks at Hilmorten itself, haven't been in there since it was converted from a tearoom/shop.

As it is about the same distance I would choose the opposite direction, there are good moorings and a decent pub at Ansty, and there is a very good pub (the Greyhound) at Hawkesbury Junction, mooring can be a bit tight near the pub, but if you go up the Coventry Canal towards Coventry itself you can usually get in by the park (still only a couple of minutes walk fom the pub) There is nowhere to wind for a few miles, (unless you use the entrance to Exhall basin) but you can always reverse back to the junction past the BW boats the always seem to be moored there (althoughh from recollection the Rose Narrowboats Day boat is only about 18ft long so you can probobly wind almost anywhere)

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by David Schweizer

Jon,

If you fancy curry for lunch, stop just above the locks at Hillmorton and try the Exotica Bengal. Moor before the first bridge (you will need to stop about 200 yards before the bridge to avoid the short stretch of long term moorings), go up to the road, turn right and walk up the road under the railway. The restaurant is on the left in a short parade of shops no more than 10 minutes from the canal. The food is really good.

The link above will give you the telephone number to check they are open and a map to help you find your way.

Have a great day!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

You seem to be spoilt for choice at Hillmorton but we always eat at The Old Royal Oak at the wharf. Food not especially brilliant but good value. A bit noisy inside but nice in the garden.Good moorings for a couple of boats. The Plough Inn at Braunston on the Main Street is also OK. The landlady can be a bit abrupt but probably means well.We are not keen on the Ship which is by the canal.Quite expensive and definately below par last couple of times. Have a good trip,, Billy,

You seem to be spoilt for choice at Hillmorton but we always eat at The Old Royal Oak at the wharf. Food not especially brilliant but good value. A bit noisy inside but nice in the garden.Good moorings for a couple of boats. The Plough Inn at Braunston on the Main Street is also OK. The landlady can be a bit abrupt but probably means well.We are not keen on the Ship which is by the canal.Quite expensive and definately below par last couple of times.  Have a good trip,,  Billy,

26998[/snapback]