Small sofa beds

stickleback

Featured Posts

I have ordered one from the sofabed barn based in Bradford, I went to their workshops to check them out first. I was pleased with their product and expecting delivery this weekend. They were very helpful and they make one in a 4' width which is ideal for a narrow-boat. I will post here again when I get it and get and opinion.

Just got delivery of my sofabed and am extremely pleased with it. Sofabed Barn are going to have a stall at Crick this year. I must add that I am not in any way connected to them but just a satisfied customer.

Just got delivery of my sofabed and am extremely pleased with it. Sofabed Barn are going to have a stall at Crick this year. I must add that I am not in any way connected to them but just a satisfied customer.

Which model did you buy? Did you upgrade the mattress? Did you get it onto the boat OK, or was it a tight squeeze?

Do you have to twist it through 90 degrees to unfold it for sleeping, or does it unfold across the width of the boat?

Which model did you buy? Did you upgrade the mattress? Did you get it onto the boat OK, or was it a tight squeeze?

Do you have to twist it through 90 degrees to unfold it for sleeping, or does it unfold across the width of the boat?

I got the Leila Deluxe with the memory foam. It came un-asssembled, it was a 10min job to put it together. It came in my bow doors without a problem and I have a cratch fitted.

I have sited it across the boat so opens along the length.

I got the Leila Deluxe with the memory foam. It came un-asssembled, it was a 10min job to put it together. It came in my bow doors without a problem and I have a cratch fitted.

I have sited it across the boat so opens along the length.

• 1 month later...

If the Beddinge is 200cm length, am I right in assuming it can only open lengthways? We certainly can't get 200cm across.

Edited by NB Alnwick
Spam advertisement removed

• 2 years later...

Hello, has anyone got an affordable sofabed that's actually comfortable to sleep on each night and sit on as a sofa in the day/evening? Lots I've seen are either over a thousand pounds (waaaay over budget!) or a foam mattress, which I'm not convinced would do the business every night. Futons are comfy to sleep on but hard on the bum as a sofa.

Would I do better to put a single mattress on a bed frame and make it up as a sofa in the day?

None of the above, they can only do one job well and the other not so well.

It is all to do with the support of the mattress/seat different density is required.

It will always be a compromise.

Look after your back, sleeping/sitting on the wrong support, you may not notice the problem when young but as you age it will come back to bite you.

I love Nabru sofas, but I think they are too deep for a narrowboat. If they did one 4-6 inches narrower it would still be wide enough and fit much better. They are missing a trick I reckon!

Do you mean depth back to front? They come in various lengths. The depth is good for us 6 footers, plenty of support and with the deep back cusion removed make a decnt sized and extremely comfortable single bed. I had one where one of the cushions became too soft for me at 15 mths and they replaced free of charge.

Edited by Markinaboat

Yeah, front to back. If it goes along the hull it's very much overlapping the centreline. Whilst I love the sofas, we had one in the house, at a little under 1m, its a bit wide. Making it narrower, if they could, I expect they would get more sales to the narrowboat market in my opinion. At 6'3" I too policed the depth but could forego a few inches for additional floor space.

Dan

Edited by stagedamager

Hello, has anyone got an affordable sofabed that's actually comfortable to sleep on each night and sit on as a sofa in the day/evening? Lots I've seen are either over a thousand pounds (waaaay over budget!) or a foam mattress, which I'm not convinced would do the business every night. Futons are comfy to sleep on but hard on the bum as a sofa.

Would I do better to put a single mattress on a bed frame and make it up as a sofa in the day?

We had an IKEA "Beddinge" sofabed at our old house, which basically uses two proper single mattresses joined with a fabric hinge and as such does feel like a "proper" double bed when folded down as well as being a comfortable sofa the rest of the time.

Our daughter also used to have a "Hemnes" day bed in her bedroom, also by IKEA, which again feels like a proper (small single) bed while looking the part as a sofa - although with the wooden back and arms, you need cushions to make it comfortable for your back as well as your bum. It's a clever design though, with three large drawers underneath and the ability to transform into an occasional double bed. (The problem with that is that you need a second mattress, with the two mattresses being stacked one on top the other the rest of the time, which effectively limits you to the cheaper, thinner foam mattress.)

Have you checked out the Futon Company? My friends have one of their sofa beds on their boat, it's great as a sofa and I hear it's nice to sleep on too although I've not tried it myself.

I have floor futons for camping/spare beds and they're ok, they will be fine for a short time if we need seats or beds. I find futons fine for sleeping but not that comfy as a sofa to cwch up on.

We had an IKEA "Beddinge" sofabed at our old house, which basically uses two proper single mattresses joined with a fabric hinge and as such does feel like a "proper" double bed when folded down as well as being a comfortable sofa the rest of the time.

Our daughter also used to have a "Hemnes" day bed in her bedroom, also by IKEA, which again feels like a proper (small single) bed while looking the part as a sofa - although with the wooden back and arms, you need cushions to make it comfortable for your back as well as your bum. It's a clever design though, with three large drawers underneath and the ability to transform into an occasional double bed. (The problem with that is that you need a second mattress, with the two mattresses being stacked one on top the other the rest of the time, which effectively limits you to the cheaper, thinner foam mattress.)

I like the look of the Hemnes. Is it good enough foam for sleeping, or could you use two decent single mattresses? I suppose you'd have the ridge/gap in the middle if you were using it as a double bed....

I have floor futons for camping/spare beds and they're ok, they will be fine for a short time if we need seats or beds. I find futons fine for sleeping but not that comfy as a sofa to cwch up on.

I like the look of the Hemnes. Is it good enough foam for sleeping, or could you use two decent single mattresses? I suppose you'd have the ridge/gap in the middle if you were using it as a double bed....

Our teenage daughter used to have it with the two foam mattresses and we did have to replace them with something more comfortable in the end - but obviously the problem there is that more comfortable = thicker, too thick to have one on top the other, which means no occasional double.

But obviously the foam mattresses are intended to be good enough to sleep on, and maybe a younger child more used to cot-style mattresses would get on OK with them. It might well be possible to try out the different mattresses at a branch of IKEA - I think they normally have quite a lot of beds out for this purpose.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/elegantboatsofabeds4u?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 Highly recommended, perfect depth for a narrowboat and tons of storage.

Click-clack is the way to go smile.png

I can see the plus sides of the depth and the storage, but restricting the length to 175cm seems a weird/unnecessary compromise - that's two inches shorter than a cross bed!

• 3 weeks later...

I've said this before elsewhere so apologies if this is a repeat - have a look at: http://www.bensonsforbeds.co.uk/texas-sofa-bed- there's probably a branch near you. Not really amenable to a re-upholster but it looks good 'as is'. Because it makes up into a 6' by 4' flat bed it should go through your front doors. Look at the second photo and imagine it without the (screw-on) legs - it comes in a flat box so as long as you have a 4' height through the doors..... Also, there is enough space underneath to store any required bedding in those see-through vacuum bags. Nice and comfy and adaptable.

ps - very helpful delivery guys as well - carried it right to the boat on marina and came inside 'cos it was their first delivery to a narrow!

Edited by Opener

I've said this before elsewhere so apologies if this is a repeat - have a look at: http://www.bensonsforbeds.co.uk/texas-sofa-bed- there's probably a branch near you. Not really amenable to a re-upholster but it looks good 'as is'. Because it makes up into a 6' by 4' flat bed it should go through your front doors. Look at the second photo and imagine it without the (screw-on) legs - it comes in a flat box so as long as you have a 4' height through the doors..... Also, there is enough space underneath to store any required bedding in those see-through vacuum bags. Nice and comfy and adaptable.

ps - very helpful delivery guys as well - carried it right to the boat on marina and came inside 'cos it was their first delivery to a narrow!

I say - i rather like that - will be bookmarking this. Thanks for posting!

Me again - knew I had these somewhere:

post-19540-0-48044300-1457608537_thumb.jpg

post-19540-0-29197400-1457608606_thumb.jpg

Show a Texas in situ as sofa / as bed in the lounge saloon of a 50 footer. (although it wouldn't be so close to a lit stove as a bed!!) Back fits nicely under interior gunwale. Pictures from August 2011 and it still looks the same (although we are 'weekend boaters', not liveaboard)

Edited by Opener

Me again - knew I had these somewhere:

attachicon.gif045.JPG

attachicon.gif044.JPG

Show a Texas in situ as sofa / as bed in the lounge saloon of a 50 footer. (although it wouldn't be so close to a lit stove as a bed!!) Back fits nicely under interior gunwale. Pictures from August 2011 and it still looks the same (although we are 'weekend boaters', not liveaboard)

Thanks for posting those pics Opener - we have been looking for something exactly like this - how lovely does that look on your boat!

Is it as comfy as it looks? biggrin.png