Small sofa beds

stickleback

Featured Posts

Hi. I've decided I'd like to replace the sofa bed on my boat with another - but it is a problem finding a sofa bed that will go through the doors! has anyone any suggestions as to where to look for one? I want to have it covered in some fabric I have. I found a lovely little Parker Knoll sofa bed but it is about 7 cm too big to fit!

Stickleback

Hi. I've decided I'd like to replace the sofa bed on my boat with another - but it is a problem finding a sofa bed that will go through the doors! has anyone any suggestions as to where to look for one? I want to have it covered in some fabric I have. I found a lovely little Parker Knoll sofa bed but it is about 7 cm too big to fit!

Stickleback

Hi where are based on the cut? And can you give the size of sofa bed you need. As I have two that are going cheap, Both are used and and came out of a travel inn refurb. One of them you can take apart the other one migth be a nigthmare to get on your boat but is very comfortable. ( never tried the one you can take apart) Have two of each and keeping one for my house and one for my boat.

Ikea. We have the chair version and I have both bought covers and made some. Basically one strip of material with shaped sides - dead easy.

Sue

How have you found this?...as a chair and as a bed?

We were thinking about one of these + sofa bed in a barge lounge, for TNC mode.

I must say we have been pleased with the "Beddinge" (or some daft IKEA word like that) click-clack sofa bed that amazingly just fitted in Linda's Wildernii.

It makes up into a larger and just as comfy bed as on Earnest.

Stickleback

:lol: Hi

Having looked at and sat on messers Kinver etc we found these not to be comfy friends bought a fab one from John Lewis we found a John Lewis outlet store and bought one the day it had come in, 550 quid in the store it was undamaged at 150 squid, very comfy to sit on and not bad as a bed. Very well built from hardwood frame and very heavy, our front doors were purpose built as a liveaboard slightly bigger than ordinary for washing machines etc ( Why arnt all boats like that anyway) so went in but if not the sofa takes to bits. Hope this helps.

How have you found this?...as a chair and as a bed?

We were thinking about one of these + sofa bed in a barge lounge, for TNC mode.

I must say we have been pleased with the "Beddinge" (or some daft IKEA word like that) click-clack sofa bed that amazingly just fitted in Linda's Wildernii.

It makes up into a larger and just as comfy bed as on Earnest.

we have 5 chairs, which probably says it all. Three in the house and two on the boat. They pull out from the front so are easy to change from chair to bed. I have forgotton what they are called. Ikea were even selling covers for £5.

Sue

We've got a Leather (brown) suite that dismantles to allow it to pass through the front doors and it converts to a double bed. This is surplus to requirements so if anyone has chairs to swop or outright purchase give me a PM.

Stickleback

Depending on how much space you have, I have an Ikea "Beddinge" sofa bed on my boat...not small, but fitted in the doors no problem (the joy of flatpack, and they even give you the box sizes on their website) and opens out the opposite way to most sofa beds so you don't have to turn it around to open out. When opened out on my narrowboat, there is just enough room to squeeze past it. Removable / washable covers too, so very boat friendly if you have the space - I love mine so much that I generally sleep there rather than the proper / fixed double at the other end of the boat. There's nothing quite like being able to see the stove from the bed!

Becky

Depending on how much space you have, I have an Ikea "Beddinge" sofa bed on my boat...not small, but fitted in the doors no problem (the joy of flatpack, and they even give you the box sizes on their website) and opens out the opposite way to most sofa beds so you don't have to turn it around to open out. When opened out on my narrowboat, there is just enough room to squeeze past it. Removable / washable covers too, so very boat friendly if you have the space - I love mine so much that I generally sleep there rather than the proper / fixed double at the other end of the boat. There's nothing quite like being able to see the stove from the bed!

Becky

I'll have a look at Ikea then! Really wanted it upholstered in some fabric I've got but no point re-upholstering something brand new!

Stickleback

:lol: Hi

Having looked at and sat on messers Kinver etc we found these not to be comfy friends bought a fab one from John Lewis we found a John Lewis outlet store and bought one the day it had come in, 550 quid in the store it was undamaged at 150 squid, very comfy to sit on and not bad as a bed. Very well built from hardwood frame and very heavy, our front doors were purpose built as a liveaboard slightly bigger than ordinary for washing machines etc ( Why arnt all boats like that anyway) so went in but if not the sofa takes to bits. Hope this helps.

do you have a link?

Becky

What are the dimensions when it is extended, I know what it says on the website - but are they true! (every inch counts on a narrowboat!)

Edited by Bones

After trying to find a suitable piece of furniture we eventually opted for a hand made leather sofa/bed from Sofa Designs in Stourport really nice guy Corey owns it. One of the criteria that most pieces of furniture miss out on is the height of the gunnel, if they don't fit under it floor space is wasted and they wont open up to 6' suffice to say our sofa does fit under the gunnel! Now with our own rug rat named Adam we need more floor space so the sofas up for grabs or part ex 1/2 swivel chairs

Becky

Thanks for this advice , this looks ideal for my needs, my entrance doors are small

and i reckon i can get this in. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=Beddinge these are the dimensions.

Width: 200 cm

Depth: 104 cm

Height: 91 cm

Seat depth: 71 cm

Seat height: 40 cm

Bed width: 140 cm

Bed length: 200 cm

Mattress length: 200 cm

Mattress width: 140 cm

Mattress thickness: 12 cm

Edited by Morphyous

I have a small fold out sofa on mine which i bought from IKEA believe it or not!

Ok, its not the best of quality being an IKEA special, but it does me and is very compact. it fits perfectly in my galley and perfectly fold down into the bed position.

I cant manage to get a link to it, but mines name is SOLSTA and cost me about £90.

the biggest problem i had was finding something that fitted through the doors!! but yet again IKEA's reputation of flat pack legends worked excellently!

We have an IKEA folding sofa bed on board, dimensions exactly as stated. There was even room to put it together on board!

I have a small fold out sofa on mine which i bought from IKEA believe it or not!

Ok, its not the best of quality being an IKEA special, but it does me and is very compact. it fits perfectly in my galley and perfectly fold down into the bed position. I cant manage to get a link to it, but mines name is SOLSTA and cost me about £90.

the biggest problem I had was finding something that fitted through the doors!! but yet again IKEA's reputation of flat pack legends worked excellently!

That's the one! Excellent value even if it only lasts a year or two.

Stickleback

There are some pretty decent beanbag sofas around now. This one makes one double and two single beds.

100451.jpg <--click

There are some pretty decent beanbag sofas around now. This one makes one double and two single beds.

100451.jpg <--click

I'm quite impressed with that, sent off an enquiry, if the sections could be zipped together when set as seats it would be quite sterdy I reckon. If just pushed together, then they're going to slip apart. Easy fold out for making into a bed though, and pretty light I would imagine.

• 3 years later...

Small sectional sofa can solve your problem very easily. A small sectional sofa consists of 3 to 4 pieces. That includes one loveseat with a single sofa seat, and the convenient thing about sectional sofa is that you can place them in the sections according to the requirement of the room.

If you have a smaller space and you need good seating arrangements, small sectional sofas are ideal. They are very versatile and it is possible to buy each component separately in many cases. It's certainly worth looking into.

You can get more information about small sectional sofas and why they are a great fit for smaller spaces. For more information visit small sectional sofa

• 2 months later...

I have ordered one from the sofabed barn based in Bradford, I went to their workshops to check them out first. I was pleased with their product and expecting delivery this weekend. They were very helpful and they make one in a 4' width which is ideal for a narrow-boat. I will post here again when I get it and get and opinion.

I have ordered one from the sofabed barn based in Bradford, I went to their workshops to check them out first. I was pleased with their product and expecting delivery this weekend. They were very helpful and they make one in a 4' width which is ideal for a narrow-boat. I will post here again when I get it and get and opinion.

Good Idea!

The problem with ordering beds & sofa's on line, is when you get them delivered the comfort level might not bu suitable. We recently bought a corner suite that turns into a double bed. Some great photos on the sellers site and a very reasonable price.

DSCF1876.jpg

DSCF1879.jpg

Fits in nice too. Problem is it's a bit hard and not that cosy when set as a sofa, we prefer to use i like a day bed anyway, we have some giant cushions almost bean bag size and we can lounge as we like. TBH though had we of tested this out by sitting on it, we probably wouldn't have bought it.

I'm a great fan of internet shopping, but I would advise testing out soft furnishings before purchasing them.