Warwickshire ring

sidewaysid

Featured Posts

Ok can any of you give me times to do the ring, I'm planning on setting off from Braunstone to Napton Junc and going clockwise, so that all the heavy locks are done early on in the trip..am I right ? any of you with info please advise, I have 6+ days do spend and I'm mad as hell so working rate no problem LoL

In my Pearsons guide this ring is timed at 47 hours or 54 hours if going via Kings norton junction. Not much more I can add, Hatton is tiring and Atherstone can be very slow but it is quite a straightforward ring. I assume you mean Braunston not Braunstone or Branston!

Hi Sid

Try http://www2.mihalis.net/canal/cgi-bin/index.cgi (CanalplanaC)

Click 'plan a journey' left hand side, select 'load a ring' select clockwise or anti clockwise, select start point.

ps. It says 9hrs (travelling) per day will take seven days but it also gives stopping points etc.

I am sure some will say it can be done quicker etc. but it is a guide, to start with.

I think it would be a little optomistic doing it single handed on a hire boat (i know my limits) going anti clockwise it's not bad for some time, but after the 2nd day the locks are coming thick and fast, and don't stop until near end of trip, I'll go back to the drawing board...I have the boat for 7 days from Whilton Marina, I have gone off going South and was looking for a decent trip over 6 days with about 50 locks, any idea's you guys :lol:

I think it would be a little optomistic doing it single handed on a hire boat (i know my limits) going anti clockwise it's not bad for some time, but after the 2nd day the locks are coming thick and fast, and don't stop until near end of trip, I'll go back to the drawing board...I have the boat for 7 days from Whilton Marina, I have gone off going South and was looking for a decent trip over 6 days with about 50 locks, any idea's you guys :lol:

What about going up Buckby locks, turn right towards Leicetser, go up Watford (narrow locks with a staircase), then down Foxton (another narrow staircase) then turn and come back. If time permits, you could explore the Welford arm and/or go along to Market Harborough.

This trip would give you the challenge of broad locks (Buckby) but you might get another boat to lock with, the experience of doing narrow satircases both with lock keeper advice and instruction and a nice long pound btrween the two, and a tunnel.

Haggis

Haggis

Thanks that is one option and is a good one, the other one is to go to Hawkesbury Junction, then onto Marsto and onto the Ashby canal which looks very tranquil, finally turning at Snarestone tunnel South end, I have done the virtual tour on AC Canal planner and there is a bit of everything...what you think :lol:

Edited by sidewaysid

Haggis

Thanks that is one option and is a good one, the other one is to go to Hawkesbury Junction, then onto Marsto and onto the Ashby canal which looks very tranquil, finally turning at Snarestone tunnel South end, I have done the virtual tour on AC Canal planner and there is a bit of everything...what you think :lol:

That seems quite ambitious for a week! If you are boating single handed, you need to allow longer to do locks and also you may feel you what to have a break now and again to make yourself a cup of coffee - or to dispose of it! If you have lots of time in hand when you get to the bottom of Foxtoin, you can always go up towards Leicester before turning. Remember that your boating time will effctively be 6 days. for a weeks hire

Haggis

Yea It's all taken into account and I have put myself a restriction on around 50 locks in the 6 days, but like you say i'll suck it and see !! my way is go out for 3 days then turn and you know you can do the same back, I did the same last September on the Cheshire ring.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but we're also planning to do the Warwickshire Ring clockwise, starting at Napton Marina.

One of the overnight stops I'm looking at is somewhere between Shirley drawbridge and the eastern portal of Brandwood Tunnel, probably near bridge 3 for the Horse Shoe pub.

I am wondering if this is a good idea, i.e. are there any significant problems with bandits in the area. One option would be to see if Lyons Boatyard would be able to accommodate us for the night, or would we be just as safe on the towpath side?

Also any comments on the Horse Shoe itself, or are there any better pubs for an evening meal in the area?

Thanks.

I too would like to hijack this thread!

If anyone would be so kind to suggest overnight stops on the Warwickshire Ring that would be much appreciated.

We are a boat full of fine food and ale addicts, so if anyone knows of any local pubs worthy of a visit, please pass on the details.

Cheers

We've always had good food at the Boot at Lapworth - its a gastro pub and you need to be there early if you haven't booked. Like wise just off the ring The Plough at Huddlesford.

A really nice mooring is Kingsbury Water Park on the B&F - the bird life is fabulous. Not certain what the Dog and Doublet is like thes days. There is a choice of pubs at Newbold on Avon and don't forget The Greyhound at Sutton Stop or the likes of the Blue Lias at Stockton.

Pubs seem to be very hit and miss these days for food - a change of landlord and all changes, there are plenty to pick from around the ring.

There is a good indian at Polesworth and remember Polesworth and Atherstone have very good second hand bookshops.

Most of the ring is Ok for mooring - just a bit on the B&F,possibly the centre of Nuneaton and around Bedworthto avoid.

In our hire boat days starting at Braunston we would clear Calcutt 3 on the Sat evening and then make the top of Hatton on Sunday - a hard day. The rest is then easy with scope for picking up lost time on the north Oxford.

I agree with Richard T that the Plough at Huddlesford is a nice pub - but just be warned - it is VERY expensive if you want to eat. Usual pub type food at highly inflated prices.

I agree with Richard T that the Plough at Huddlesford is a nice pub - but just be warned - it is VERY expensive if you want to eat. Usual pub type food at highly inflated prices.

Agreed

The Plough is expensive nowadays. :lol:

It used to be really good value some years ago

Thanks for the replies. Any further information would be gratefully received.

Already slightly altered plans after being sent a few P.M.s( No, not Gordon Brown).

My initial plan for overnights are:

Two Boats Inn

Tom O' the Wood

Drawbridge

White Horse, Curdworth

Black Swan, Grendon or King's Head, Atherstone

Ansty- Rose and Crown or Ansty Arms

Ye Olde King's Head, Napton.

Any comments/ suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.