Coal for Jam Ole

mykaskin

Featured Posts

Not having much luck with photographic images of Kearley & Tonges Mitre Dock (jam 'ole), though interestingly they had offices in Mitre Square , which may have resulted in their dock being so named. Certainly the International Stores headed paper carried the Mitre.

There's a photo of Mr Kearley and Mr Tonge HERE They were, along with a Mr Evans, directors of The International Tea Company Stores which was registered in 1895, shortly afterwards Kearley & Tonges were also registered. Mr Kearley, after retiring from the firm, became the first chairman of the PLA.

The Jam & Marmalade factory at Southall opened in 1913.

The website link is worth a rummage, photos of all sorts of vehicles, and warehouses and factories - sadly none of Southall!

Derek

Not having much luck with photographic images of Kearley & Tonges Mitre Dock (jam 'ole), though interestingly they had offices in Mitre Square , which may have resulted in their dock being so named. Certainly the International Stores headed paper carried the Mitre.

There's a photo of Mr Kearley and Mr Tonge HERE They were, along with a Mr Evans, directors of The International Tea Company Stores which was registered in 1895, shortly afterwards Kearley & Tonges were also registered. Mr Kearley, after retiring from the firm, became the first chairman of the PLA.

The Jam & Marmalade factory at Southall opened in 1913.

The website link is worth a rummage, photos of all sorts of vehicles, and warehouses and factories - sadly none of Southall!

Derek

I've just been having a rummage around in the 1891 and 1901 censuses for Hudson Kearley's family.

Interestingly his wife Selina was born in Blisworth, Northants, (where the canal tunnel is).

Hudson is not at home at the time of the 1901 census, but his wife and 2 children are living in Grosvenor Place, St George's Hanover Square, London. Including governesses, cooks, domestics, footmen, etc, there is a total household staff of 11, for a family of apparently just 4. I think Mr Kearley must have been doing rather well by then!

Alan

Coo, well up in the world. A long way from the jam'ole! That's three addresses - Grosvenor Place at the back of Buckingham Palace, and St George Street, off Hanover Square! I guess there must have been a building called 'Grosvenor Place' in St George St, Hanover Sq. at some time. There's a modern office block called St Georges House in Hanover Square, No.5 I think. Number of times I've hung about there waiting for a job!!

Derek

What really nice films and a welcome after a really horrible day, I'm a Manchester lad and loved seeing Swallow of Cowburn & Cowpar it must have been a rough life on the cut, but i bet they were happy..I would do it without a thought. and while i'm on a question, as a very young boy my Aunt used to walk me along the Ashton canal behind Robertsons jam works, and i still recall seeing sunken boats, does anyone have any access to photographs of the area circa 1958,59,60. If so please post them it would be wonderful to see the area as I did as a young kid, again thanks for the films they are great.