Gas pipe route

Featured Posts

Can anyone help? I am planning a fitout of a narrowboat with both the stove and the cooker on the port side. This will mean running the gas supply somewhere behind the stove. Is this advisable or even in compliance with regulations? Also, in "The Narrowboat Builder's Book" it says that "gas pipes should be as high as possible, usually not below the gunnel" yet everyone seems to run the gas just below the gunnel. Any advice?

Copper gas pipe is mostly fitted under the gunnel, it has to be accessible with as few joints as poss. Rarely above the gunnel in my experience. Proper bulkhead fittings must be used. There is a recent thread which covered this, and lots more besides prior to that.

Try here

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19725

And here

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20088

Edited by Julynian

I'm not sure what that quote from the book is about. Where does Booth suggest you put it then ?

Obviously to get from a front gas locker across a well deck, it can't be higher than under the gunwale.

That's the height it's generally needed to feed appliances, so if you go higher than that through the cabin, you are unnecessarily increasing the length and adding 90 degree bends.

Also it has to be capable of inspection - not easy if it's anywhere else.

Under the gunwales, I say!

The only consideration is what happens with appliances both sides of the boat. You either need to run separate pipes from the gas locker to service each side of the boat, or to cross from one side to another. We have the latter, (I didn't do it), and it should obviously go over the roof, not under the floor. Ours could be inspected by removing about 6 screws, but at the last BSS I was not asked to.

Hi Doug,

Run the gas pipe along the gunwhale clipped to the underside of the side deck. This is standard industry practice and no BSS or CORGI bod will have a problem with it. A gas pipe running past the stove under the guwhale is fine too. Gas pipes must not be in contact with heat sources but 6" away from a stove is fine.

Regarding the 'as few joints as possible' requirement, note that this can be quite tricky to comply with. Many boat owners think it means the same as 'as few as convenient', but it doesn't. A run with an unnecessary coupling in it (fitted to save buying a whole new coil of pipe, for example) will mean a fail, as will an equal tee plus a reducing coupling, when a reducing tee is available on the market and could have been purchased and used.

Cheers, Mike

Can anyone help? I am planning a fitout of a narrowboat with both the stove and the cooker on the port side. This will mean running the gas supply somewhere behind the stove. Is this advisable or even in compliance with regulations? Also, in "The Narrowboat Builder's Book" it says that "gas pipes should be as high as possible, usually not below the gunnel" yet everyone seems to run the gas just below the gunnel. Any advice?
Edited by mike bryant

Hi Doug,

Run the gas pipe along the gunwhale clipped to the underside of the side deck. This is standard industry practice and no BSS or CORGI bodwill have a problem with it. A gas pipe running past the stove under the guwhale is fine too. Gas pipes must not be in contact with heat sources but 6" away from a stove is fine.

Regarding the 'as few joints as possible' requirement, note that this can be quite tricky to comply with. Many boat owners think it means the same as 'as few as convenient', but it doesn't. A run with an unnecessary joint in it (fitted to save buying a whole new coil of pipe) will mean a fail, as will an equal tee plus a reducing coupling, when a reducing tee could have been used.

Cheers, Mike

And any joint has to be easily accessible I believe, I managed to do the run with just one straight joint, it was impossible to complete in one run.

And any joint has to be easily accessible I believe, I managed to do the run with just one straight joint, it was impossible to complete in one run.

A coupling can sometimes be avoided by fitting the test point nipple there instead....

Cheers, Mike

I was faced with the problem of passing a gas supply pipe behind my Paloma water heater flu.. I passed it through a short length of steel flexible conduit, any radiated heat was conducted away.

Thanks for the advice, under the gunnel and behind the stove it is then.