The pricing of boats another £150k hopefull NB Stafford

charles123

Featured Posts

Martyn

Going a bit further off topic, just on the off chance - do you know anyone who has any L2 big end shells, -.015"? (two pairs)

I've just taken them for remetalling, but original ones would be better (and quicker, there's a 3 week wait though that's not a big issue).

I also need one or two small end bushes, they should be easy to get but I'm a bit out of the loop these days for that sort of thing.

Cheers

Tim

Tim

I would try Walsh's Engineering as I know they took delivery of a hugh stockpile of all kinds of Gardner bits from a workshop down near us in poole back before christmas, the guy who owned it had died and the workshop and yard was stacked high with all things Gardner including bearings. It had not been sorted through when I saw it all. There was LW's and LX's growing out of the brambles all over the place!!!!.

Hope this is of some help, If you dont have any luck let me know and I will see if I can track some down.

Martyn

Tim

I would try Walsh's Engineering as I know they took delivery of a hugh stockpile of all kinds of Gardner bits from a workshop down near us in poole back before christmas, the guy who owned it had died and the workshop and yard was stacked high with all things Gardner including bearings. It had not been sorted through when I saw it all. There was LW's and LX's growing out of the brambles all over the place!!!!.

Hope this is of some help, If you dont have any luck let me know and I will see if I can track some down.

Martyn

Martyn

Thanks for that.

Coincidentally I spoke to Steve Bradley at Walshs this afternoon about the other bits I need, asked about L2 big ends, he's doing a 2L2 himself and getting the bearings remetalled :lol:

He did have the small end bushes in stock, though.

Cheers

Tim

Have a look at this folks, big Woolwich motor 'Battersea' being sold via Keith Ball. It is admittedly a fantastic undercloth conversion by RexWain and the hull has been 'done' probably by Brinklow Boats (although I am sure someone on here will put me right) and it has all the trad 'goodies', penny in the step, squeeze box and even a bowler hat, It is in perfect condition with a wonderful history BUT what do we think of the price? When it was last sold, also via Keith, in about May 2007 it sold for high70000s - who says the right boat is not an investment even assuming that the asking price is not achieved - I wouldn't bet on that either especially if a lady is involved as Keith's openess and rugged good looks will charm the birds out of the trees and the pounds out of their pockets :lol:

Here is the clicky (Ihope) oh bu***r it has not 'remembered it - anyway it is on apolloduck under tugs!!!!!!!!!

Edited by PaddingtonBear

For anyone interested in the original subject,I noticed a sale has been agreed on Stafford.

This clearly shows that it's almost impossible to put a price on a boat. As long as ther's someone around with the money, that likes the boat, it will sell.

I hope that the buyer will be happy, and will use her, she looks like a nice boat.

it used to do the fender run between london docks, and midland chandlery

I think the whole boat could benefit from a nice set of synthetic fender covers , like the one's on the plastic gin palaces I've seen on the river severn ! whats all that about then ? Am I missing something ?

Quite a few people may be having "hat" for supper this evening :lol:

Congratulations, Malcolm.

I guess i was the fenders !

staffordfender1.jpg

staffordfender2.jpg

Oh and I've got it until after Easter to 'shake it down'

So off on tour in 2 weeks.

I think the whole boat could benefit from a nice set of synthetic fender covers , like the one's on the plastic gin palaces I've seen on the river severn ! whats all that about then ? Am I missing something ?

Keeps them clean :lol:

I saw a set of fender covers, on a yacht on the Alde, made out of toddler's jumpers. I thought it looked cute, swmbo thought it looked macabre.

Having just splashed out on some custom fenders i dont think we will be covering them up :lol:

Malcolm,

What are the protrusions under the uxter plate?

Thanks,

Mike

A 12 mm plate which in effects lowers the counter and gives you the benefit of saving 6" of draught.

Now boat trimmed and plate just uncer the water.

I first fitted one to Greyhound 20 years ago at Charity but this is a modified version as the welds kept cracking with the Bolinder.

It actually is tapered up to the swim about 8 feet in. Ferret has a small one which works quite well

Does it have a stepped hull too?

]

No but it does have 'skid' plates fore and aft to make up for the 3" of elm !

Edited by bargeeboy

A 12 mm plate which in effects lowers the counter and gives you the benefit of saving 6" of draught.

Now boat trimmed and plate just uncer the water.

I first fitted one to Greyhound 20 years ago at Charity but this is a modified version as the welds kept cracking with the Bolinder.

It actually is tapered up to the swim about 8 feet in. Ferret has a small one which works quite well

]

No but it does have 'skid' plates fore and aft to make up for the 3" of elm !

rudder.jpg

This is the latest version as pictured on Greyhound in Poland 3 days ago. The plate basically stops cavitation (air being drawn around the propeller) to create a better bite in the water, especially when holding back.

The aforementioned 'skid plate' is also in evidence on the base plate for the first 2ft or so before it tapers up.

Edited by kingofthecut

rudder.jpg

This is the latest version as pictured on <a href="http://www.joshers.info/greypol.php">Greyhound in Poland</A> 3 days ago. The plate basically stops cavitation (air being drawn around the propeller) to create a better bite in the water, especially when holding back.

Do you end up with a rust problem in the gap? Asking, as you will know better than I.

The swim is fantastic - no one does curves like that any more.

I've done several 'tunnels' in the past, same idea but a bit more complex, it allows the use of a full sized blade while maintaining decent clearance for the tips, very successful. Also pretty much invisible from outside the boat as it doesn't have to extend the full width of the counter. Can't lay my hands on any pics just at the moment, though.

Tim