Current price of fuels....

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

It's only good value if you still have quite a bit left when you get back "home" though ! :lol:

It dont use that much going to West Stockwith and back. We still have 3/4 of a tank since filling up in Naburn and doing the dash through the canal system. It would be much less than 1/4 tank to do West Stockwith and back.

We payed 80ppl on a 60/40 split at West Stockwith and 83ppl on a 60/40 split at York Marina both of which are cheap when compared to our local suppliers.

The garage/Geordies Boat Sales at Langrick Bridge on the Witham have it at 67.9. Drove past there yesterday.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

We payed 80ppl on a 60/40 split at West Stockwith and 83ppl on a 60/40 split at York Marina both of which are cheap when compared to our local suppliers.

Did you ask to declare 60/40 or is that their policy to only sell at that split?

Current Price of Red Diesel at Willowbridge Marina - Milton Keynes (Grand Union Canal)

59ppl - self declare what % is used for propulsion, your word is accepted, and dont try to force the 60/40 split on you. so if you think 10% you declare 10% and pay duty on 10% of fuel

the duty for those that arnt aware should be the following - 43.77ppl duty +5% Vat = 45.9585ppl duty (inc vat @ 5%) for propulsion

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know the best price for diesel on the Thames at the moment, south of Abingdon?

This morning at Better Boating in Reading was 70p/ ltr before duty.

Similar a couple of weeks ago at Caversham Boat Services on Frys Island, Reading - but their diesel pump was out of action when I passed by last week and they weren't sure whether it would be fixable.

Other prices in this area are much more expensive.

Hi

Can someone explain in laymans terms just how the current system works in relation to the purchase of Diesel, cos i am flummoxed!!!!

Also.....

Should i as planned, have a boat with an electric motor,powered by a diesel generator and battery bank, as per N.B. "Timewarp", how on earth does one work out the split?

Cheers,

John.

This morning at Better Boating in Reading was 70p/ ltr before duty.

Similar a couple of weeks ago at Caversham Boat Services on Frys Island, Reading - but their diesel pump was out of action when I passed by last week and they weren't sure whether it would be fixable.

Other prices in this area are much more expensive.

Many thanks

Hello! :lol:

A newbie here! I was just wondering has anyone looked at getting a fuel cell to run their boat as I heard from this company I was talking to that quite a few "people who live on barges" are powering their boats with them and they can have zero emissions. Apparently they can run on gas, ethananol, methonal, bio-fuels and even (green) hydrogen!

Sorry if this is wrong place to post!

Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Fenny Compton over the last weekend.

70p before and 115? with the dreaded included.

Any comments on the amount of tax etc.?

You are "lucky" about the 70 ppl - last time I asked at their sister marina hoping it might have fallen, it had instead risen to 73 ppl. hard to see the justification for this when the price elsewhere is in the 50p to 60p range.

If my memory is correct the extra tax you might expect to pay on the propulsion part, (including the 5% VAT element), recently rose from 43 pence per litre to 45 pence per litre, (rounded to nearest pence).

So I think a marina adding 45 p extra tax is correct, one adding any other number is effectively either giving the tax man a wrong amount, or is making a bigger profit on fuel sold for one purpose than the other.

I'm confident of the 43p, but haven't checked the 45p. If it's slightly wrong, I am happy to stand corrected!

You are "lucky" about the 70 ppl - last time I asked at their sister marina hoping it might have fallen, it had instead risen to 73 ppl. hard to see the justification for this when the price elsewhere is in the 50p to 60p range.

If my memory is correct the extra tax you might expect to pay on the propulsion part, (including the 5% VAT element), recently rose from 43 pence per litre to 45 pence per litre, (rounded to nearest pence).

So I think a marina adding 45 p extra tax is correct, one adding any other number is effectively either giving the tax man a wrong amount, or is making a bigger profit on fuel sold for one purpose than the other.

I'm confident of the 43p, but haven't checked the 45p. If it's slightly wrong, I am happy to stand corrected!

Hi

By my calculation the differential is 46p (43.77p Duty plus 5% VAT). As you say anyone with anything different either is pulling a fast one, or is subsidising us!

Geoff

Hi

By my calculation the differential is 46p (43.77p Duty plus 5% VAT). As you say anyone with anything different either is pulling a fast one, or is subsidising us!

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I can see exactly how you have come up with that number....

(54.19 - 10.42) = 43.77 before VAT

= 45.95 after 5% VAT.

However I can't find anywhere that says that 54.19 is the correct rate of duty for "red" gas oil sold for boat propulsion purposes.

On the face of it the 54.19 pence relates to DERV is it's Ultra Low Sulphur (ULSD) or Sulphur Free (SFD) forms, not to gas oil or diesel with a higher sulphur content.

The tax on DERV that is not ULSD or SFD seems to be higher.

So I am confused.

Can anybody find any HMRC notification that establishes that "red" sold for boat propulsion should be taxed at the same rate as ULSD or SFD road diesel, please ?

Hi Geoff,

I can see exactly how you have come up with that number....

(54.19 - 10.42) = 43.77 before VAT

= 45.95 after 5% VAT.

However I can't find anywhere that says that 54.19 is the correct rate of duty for "red" gas oil sold for boat propulsion purposes.

On the face of it the 54.19 pence relates to DERV is it's Ultra Low Sulphur (ULSD) or Sulphur Free (SFD) forms, not to gas oil or diesel with a higher sulphur content.

The tax on DERV that is not ULSD or SFD seems to be higher.

So I am confused.

Can anybody find any HMRC notification that establishes that "red" sold for boat propulsion should be taxed at the same rate as ULSD or SFD road diesel, please ?

Hi

I searched HMRC and couldnt find reference to Red but I could see that the old rate for ULSD was the same as we all talked about Red being previously so I assumed they both went up at the same rate