Good Butchers

tripitaka

Featured Posts

Other good butchers are to be found in Penkridge, Alrewas, Berkhampstead.

Yes as "veggies", we probably shouldn't advertise our local; award winning butcher.

But I believe Eastwoods in Berkhamsted, (the modern spelling of the town), is highly thought of. Mind you, I have heard you might need to approach your bank for a personal loan before shopping there. Quality comes at a (considerable) price we are told.

For the well off, it's very near Raven's Lane lock (no 54), opposite the Boat pub.

My particular favourite round these parts - and very sensibly priced too. About 15-20 mins walk along a bridleway from the junction with the Welford Arm on the GU Leicester Line. Joseph Morris

As an former Welfordian who often returns to those parts, I can heartily endorse Dominic's recommendation - there are no butchers to be found in Welford or North Kilworth these days (there were two in Welford when I lived there - one of them even ran his own slaughterhouse!) but the long established firm of Joseph Morris in South Kilworth provides the finest meat for miles around. If you don't want to trudge along the muddy field paths, you can moor near South Kilworth Road Bridge (No. 37) and enjoy a pleasant twenty minute walk up the hill to the village, over the former level crossing where the road crossed the Rugby to Market Harborough Railway (opened in 1847 and closed in 1966) and past the end of Stanford Reservoir on the way . . .

All of the Chesterfield is nice, if you can manage to ignore Worksop.

And why would you need a stick on the Aire and Calder? The locals are very nice, despite appearances. You'll need something of the sort on the Calder & Hebble, though I've never bought one in the years I've been here. As for butchers, well the beer round here is so good that I live on that.

Mac

the stick is for working the locks -AKA Calder and Hebble Hand spike, a bit of threebitoo tapered to one end. Can also be used for knobbling canalside rats in an emergency, whereas the similar baseball bat is an illegal weapon, unless you also carry the accompanying ball, hat and glove (I'm playing the game occifer!).

And for the not so well off, it [Eastwood's] is very near Raven's Lane lock (no 54), opposite the Boat pub. :lol:

For the even less well-off, stick to Eastwood's sausages and their Old Spot smoked bacon (get it cut extra thick).

If you happen to be in Berkhamsted on a Saturday, go to the market and get your bread from the Chesham Bakehouse stall and (environmentally unsound) olives from the French olive chap.

Chris G

Edited by Batavia