advice please

mucky

Featured Posts

ok as i start my new life living on the water what one piece of adice would each of you impart to someone in my position?

cheers in advance

Hard to give specifics really Mucky...

Have you had any past experiences with boats or did you just decide to go for it?

Kay

x

ok as i start my new life living on the water what one piece of adice would each of you impart to someone in my position?

cheers in advance

Get to know it like the back of your hand, electrics and plumbing, then when something goes wrong, and it will, at least you'll have a good idea as to where to look to put it right.

A smoke alarm and a CO alarm are handy.

Edited by johnjo

lol cheers, ill try not to fall in or get cold

i have had a fair amount of hire boating experience so just about know one end of a boat from the other, mechanical skills are fair as thats what i did for 5 years or so, and as a biker i already recognise quite a few of the friendly aspects of the boating folk. i was just wondering about the advice each of you would share if you could just pass on one gem?

lol cheers, ill try not to fall in or get cold

i have had a fair amount of hire boating experience so just about know one end of a boat from the other, mechanical skills are fair as thats what i did for 5 years or so, and as a biker i already recognise quite a few of the friendly aspects of the boating folk. i was just wondering about the advice each of you would share if you could just pass on one gem?

Always have a spare cassette, especially if it's very cold and the elsan disposal point has frozen again!

:lol:

D

When making a huge mess of a manouvre in front of an audience (the only time you will do so), remember to either laugh loudly at yourself or pretend you meant to do it like that.

Oh, and *always* grease your stern gland (am I allowed two gems?)

I think I have to say boat management is very important especially if you have a family who haven't worked out they live on a boat yet. So I always have an extra bottle of gas, plenty of coal, loads of kindling and I tend to fill up with water in the winter more often than I would in the summer. Just to make sure we have supplies when everything freezes.

Also - if you haven't bought a boat yet, get it surveyed and take a VERY good look at the engine - living without an engine is hard work.

Most boats have a snagging list. Sometimes these are quite lengthy - lots of little jobs to do.

Don't worry. Remember, you can only do one job at a time.

Tackle each snag individually and it becomes easier, and more rewarding, than worrying about the whole lot en masse.

I was brand new to boating and moved on as a liveaboard completely green just 2 years ago. I found what gave me a great deal of confidence in boat handling was to do a proper accredited training course on boat handling, I am sure everyone here will be able to recommend someone I went to Top Lock Training as I am in the Marple area. It was wonderful and after a day, I felt so much more in control.

Other than that, all of the above, and for anyone who knows my story - see below for stuipedest things - dont throw hot ash on your electrical cable. In fact the threadt - stuipest things, might be a good place to get some answers to your question. :lol:

Welcome aboard its a great life would not swop it.

Tips.. If you can wind using ropes us ropes, the old working boaters did it this way no lost of face, more inportant no red face if using engine and it goes wronge.

Make sure diesel tank is full as possible in winter to stop condensation forming in tank.and not running to low in summer to pick up crud in bottem off tank.

Make sure if you have pull stop on engine that it goes back to on position. Before you start stripping engine because it wont start later.

Been on the cut for nine years now and still learning and if in doubt ask.

John

Get to know it like the back of your hand, electrics and plumbing, then when something goes wrong, and it will, at least you'll have a good idea as to where to look to put it right.

A smoke alarm and a CO alarm are handy.

Essential

Sue

Don't let your fire go out between equinoxes unless you've got enough money to go to the pub when you get home and let the boat warm up!

John, sorry and I know you'll beat me up but... know how to wind properly, if you can touch the end of a winding hole without a bump, even in the wind, then pivot, THEN you know how to wind a boat (here speaks a person who lived on a wooden boat...) if you're carrying 30 tonne of coal it's different. Inch perfect is best. well, maybe two inch.

Good luck, come back; as despite the recent most of us are actually here to help

edit... I didn't mean to repeat myself

Edited by Smelly