LEESAN vs MIDLAND CHANDLERS

Bones

Featured Posts

I have been looking into self pump out kits, and I have only been able to find two - one with Leesan and the other with Midland Chandlers. They look different but what ARE the differences in practical terms? I could walk up the tow path but only one person I know has one (and it is the Leesan one), and that isn't enough to make a comparison. I know there is a price difference, but in practical terms is that all? The Leesan has a rigid pipe for part of it - is that important?

Does anyone have a midland chandlers self pump out kit? Is so - how do you get on with it?

Midland Chandlers Pump Out for £119.50

Midland Chandlers

Further info

Lee sanitation pump out kit for £229 but add VAT = £263.35

Lee Sanitation

Mailspeed marine have one for 189.99 clicky but I am not sure whether they are an ok company.

I have been looking into self pump out kits, and I have only been able to find two - one with Leesan and the other with Midland Chandlers. They look different but what ARE the differences in practical terms? I could walk up the tow path but only one person I know has one (and it is the Leesan one), and that isn't enough to make a comparison. I know there is a price difference, but in practical terms is that all? The Leesan has a rigid pipe for part of it - is that important?

Does anyone have a midland chandlers self pump out kit? Is so - how do you get on with it?

Midland Chandlers Pump Out for £119.50

Midland Chandlers

Further info

Lee sanitation pump out kit for £229 but add VAT = £263.35

Lee Sanitation

Mailspeed marine have one for 189.99 clicky but I am not sure whether they are an ok company.

On Beatty, I started of with a SH Lee San one. It was hard going and soon ended up with the double acting, higher capacity Lee San on

clicky

which I found OK.

The Midland Chandlers one does not show the essential rigid pipe, needed for the suction side (but it does say this is supplied) This would have to be assembled and the pump mounted on a board, to stop it moving about. The Mailspeed one looks the same as the Midland Chandlers one, I have delt with this company, and they were OK.

Earnest was supplied with the rather expensive 240vac Lee San self-pump outfrom the start.

This is exactly the same as the Jabsco one

clicky

this needs a meaty inverter or genny to power it.

:lol: The above quote is very true but it is also the truth that a well maintained boat by a very reputable builder will still command and fetch a premium over the as u put it Ordinary boat that has been equaly well maintained.

It is the same with virtualy all things.

Can you educate the uneducatable, please ?

I know some PO outlets are on the roof, but most boats I've seen have them on one gunwale only.

There's only 2 metres of suction hose with both the kits Bones has listed, so is it only possible to use them if the boat is moored with it's PO outlet on the same side as the PO facility ?

This might be alright if you are always accessing a known facility, but not too clever whilst cruising, I'd have thought.

Also is the just 10 metres of lay-flat hose generally sufficient ? Even with the two metres of suction host, that's only 12 metres maximum reach, so less than 40 feet. It would seem to indicate you'd need to be quite precise about how you tied up, particularly if you were allowed to use some of the sanitary stations I've seen.

Our PO connection is (almost) in the middle of the roof. Two metres of rigid hose seems a bit short if it has to bend through 180 degrees to reach to the ground from the roof (unless it has an angled connector). I'd have thought that four metres would be more appropriate and then I suppose there's a storage problem with a piece of rigid hose that long.

I always favoured the idea of self PO because we have a reasonably small tank (which shouldn't overwhelm disposal points), so am quite interested in this thread.

Bones, you could always borrow Bob's electric pump he got it from Lee Sanitation, good length of hose, and then you could see what you think of it.

Wendy

Always be VERY carefull to not get a kink in the flexi exit hose <KABOOM!> :lol:

Our pumpout exit is on the gunnel and causes few problems, occasionally we have to turn the boat round. Our pumpout is 12v which is much better than a hand pump. I would be concerned about a roof fitting as it is quite a height to pull the shit. We find a gentle slope is best and use our gangplank for this.

Sue