Replacing a Epping.

Kristian

Featured Posts

I know the fire box on an epping is very small, and being a live aboard im wanting a better heat source for the BMC which is unusable during very cold snaps, and the Epping seems to be there just for the "trad" look, but its not very practical in teams of heat output so a compromise has to be made.

So im "thinking" about swaping it for a Stovax "Brunel" which is smaller than a squirrel.

Has anyone got any dealings with a normal stove, eg Squirrel or smaller stove in a BMC?

Ta Kristian.

We fitted a small "Boatman Stove" to the back cabin of my parents boat at the start of 2008. We put it in the usual space on the swim to the left of the back hatch and with it only being a small space we wanted a small stove. In terms of heat output it's great. With the damper only open half a turn it will stay in over night without any problems (I've managed 14 hours so far) and the price is very attractive too.

See the website here. http://www.northernfabricationservices.co.uk/main.htm

I know the fire box on an epping is very small, and being a live aboard im wanting a better heat source for the BMC which is unusable during very cold snaps, and the Epping seems to be there just for the "trad" look, but its not very practical in teams of heat output so a compromise has to be made.

So im "thinking" about swaping it for a Stovax "Brunel" which is smaller than a squirrel.

Has anyone got any dealings with a normal stove, eg Squirrel or smaller stove in a BMC?

Ta Kristian.

The Stovax Stockton 3 is also smaller than a Morso and pushes out a nice amount of heat. We use one of those at home (see link)

http://www.stovax.com/products.htm?cid=4&a...d=8&pid=199

Another that might be worth reviewing is a Faversham

http://www.colinfrake-classicyachtfittings...rshamstove.html

Not the cheapest option I imagine but it has something of the BMC "look" about it to me.

Edited by churchward

"You might find it a bit OTT for a boatmans cabin"

Yeah i did think of that one, Just wanting a stove with a bigger fire box?

Cant see why really you need to change, the epping in Baldocks back Cabin stays in for 10 hours easily and keeps the cabin nice and snug

We run it on Taybrite only

Chris

#

Cant see why really you need to change, the epping in Baldocks back Cabin stays in for 10 hours easily and keeps the cabin nice and snug

We run it on Taybrite only

Chris

#

I had an Epping on my last boat and it kept a draughty 72 footer warm enough, more than a challenge for our current Brunel. Admittedly it was more prone to being out by coming home from w*r*/ getting up in the morning but it did me right for 2 yeasr or so.

I'd ask first whether there's something cheaper wrong with the installation.. Flue too thin or similar?

Hi Kristian!

You running it on some old clag mate? Mike'll be through on Sunday and if you've not got any, maybe a sack of Taybrite from him'll do the trick? Else ask him what he uses - I've an idea that it's anthracite.

We've got a Premier and Taybrite really does the job - in the early days I had Matt knocking them down into half-size nuggets but now we don't bother. However, I can't keep it in all night and early morning usually needs some kindling on the embers to get it moving again.

Another thought, it seems to perform much better with a properly lined chimney. An unlined one or the current one I've got, where the liner is too small to be a snug fit in the collar, just don't seem to draw the fire the same way. It may be co-incidental, but sometimes we get blow back into the firebox, which we never had with the original chimney.

Check over the installation, but if it's the original Hudson, I can't imagine that there would be a problem with that - I really don't think you need to change the stove.

Denis

Give it a bl**dy good clean and then run it on decent dinosaur eggs,exel gets good and hot or taybrite or any other good smokeless from your local coal boat. if I get a fall of soot and crap down the flue it sits in a little heap under the smokebox and needs scraping out with the ash rake before the stove will draw properly.I get mine good and hot burning all sorts of assorted stuff but smokeless is best and keeps in overnight which is essential for me getting my morning cup of tannin infested tea!!!