STORAGE SPACE

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

:lol: Hi Everyone

Here is something I have never been able to get my head around. It is an undisputable fact that storage space even on a 70 footer or widebeam craft is at a premium. Reading other threads some like loads of cupboards and some not so much clutter as personal choice and having spoken to other boaters over the years this has always seemed to be the case. Then why when we have vastly better systems ( several types ) to choose from do those same people reduce their storage space massively by fitting a pump out tank......? it makes no sense whatsoever unless you have a disability making it hard for you to carry sewage in say a cassette, that would be understandable.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Tim

:lol:

1: Our boat came with a pump out tank!

2:Removing the tank we gain us about 7sq foot of extra space, not a "massive" amount! This would only be filled with clutter anyway so we have less clutter!

3:We are quite happy to trundle down to the local pump out when it is full!

4:Our boat is 57', plenty of space for the two of us!

5:We are not disabled!

We're not livaboards - which clearly makes a huge difference - but we find we have masses of locker space on our 54.5ft boat for extended cruising.

In fact most of the lockers are only partly used, and we even carry extra bedding for guests, even though we are normally cruising with just two.

I'd much prefer being able to go 6-8 weeks without having to worry about emptying the tank rather than have extra cupboard space, which would be very difficult to access as the tank is mostly in a dead corner anyway.

Hi Mrs's'

Yes, much as the previous two, I didn't live on my boat either..

I did however find that even a large pump out tank is very economical with the use of space, they can and usually are located low down below seating and other facilities, mine even extended below floor level and the the area they take up is much as would be required for a toilet alone..

Spouse insisted when I was at the fitting out stage that I should reduce the cupboard space and incorporate a largish chest of drawers, though drawers are a lot of trouble to construct I obeyed the instruction. Reluctantly I must agree that the most efficient storage is draws.

We don't liveaboard, the boat is a 2 berth(occasional 5) with a 35ft cabin and we have surplus storage space, its all about design. The toilet is a macerator so you can have the tank anywhere you want, in our case its under bowdeck, behind the watertank. Given that we have TV cupboard,stove and steps at the front we couldn't really access this area for storage anyway.

Wherever I could during the build, I used any spare space as cupboards or shelves etc, this does mean much more work though, which for a professional builder would be expensive. Perhaps for some budget boats their particular market wouldn't stand the extra cost involved, or if the boat was only intended for weekending and holidays, it probably wouldn't need masses of storage anyway.

Here is something I have never been able to get my head around. It is an undisputable fact that storage space even on a 70 footer or widebeam craft is at a premium. Reading other threads some like loads of cupboards and some not so much clutter as personal choice and having spoken to other boaters over the years this has always seemed to be the case. Then why when we have vastly better systems ( several types ) to choose from do those same people reduce their storage space massively by fitting a pump out tank......? it makes no sense whatsoever unless you have a disability making it hard for you to carry sewage in say a cassette, that would be understandable.

Tim

Like most macerater based systems our holding tank is underneath the double bed behind drawers. This space could not be readily accessed for storage.

Like most macerater based systems our holding tank is underneath the double bed behind drawers. This space could not be readily accessed for storage.

Having no such tanks as we have a composting toilet the space under the bed was free, there was no way we were going to waste it, so did this.

There are 2 trolleys that fit snugly into the underbed space usually unaccessable. The first trolly in the bottom photo is half the size of the second one still hidden. They're both on heavy duty castors which run in a track under the bed so it will always go in straight without snagging. They're now full of tools and equipment but still roll out easily and smoothly.

Bedroom nearly finished, the oak just needs a good burnishing.

Bedroom1.jpg

Bedroom.jpg

Bedbunk.jpg

Bedroombaskets.jpg

Under the bed to the front is baskets for linenclothes etc. The remaining space under the bed contains 2 large trolleys that pull from under the bed in the utility room.

UnderBedStorage.jpg

This is the first trolley, the second one is twice the size, it’ll be used for storage of bulk purchased goods and tools & equipment. The wall will be lined in oak ply and a hatch door will be fitted to access the trolleys.

Edited by Julynian

Having no such tanks as we have a composting toilet the space under the bed was free, there was no way we were going to waste it, so did this.

There are 2 trolleys that fit snugly into the underbed space usually unaccessable. The first trolly in the bottom photo is half the size of the second one still hidden. They're both on heavy duty castors which run in a track under the bed so it will always go in straight without snagging. They're now full of tools and equipment but still roll out easily and smoothly.

:lol: That looks really neat, unfortunatley our bed goes across the rear cabin, but we could make use of the basket setup across the front.

Nice idea.

Thanks John & Jo

Cheers Jon & Jo

Originally the basketed area was going to be fixed Oak front drawers, but I find drawers fiddly especially if the item you want is on the bottom. The baskets pull out rest on the bed and you can easily sort out what you want stood in a comfortable position. The other benefit is putting your washing away, take the basket to the washing fill and replace. No bending down trying to fit the stuff in. Finally the baskets are very airy so tend to keep clothes fresher than drawers, and it's surprising how much space is in them.

Another option to utilise under bed space is a lid over the area, but you have to remove the mattress and bedding to get to it, my brother has done this on his boat, but only uses it for stuff you don't need regularily, or storing summer stuff in the winter and vice versa.

This thread seems, to me, like an extremely poor attempt by an oil lamp brigage member to convince people that proper (pump out) toilets are inferior to those cheap plastic caravan type devices.

A lame attempt at a troll.

It's a personal choice and many people don't like the idea of having to empty a toilet every 2 days instead of every 4 to 8 weeks and also don't like carrying a suitcase full of sh*t down the towpath.

I'll happily sacrifice some inaccessible (and therefore useless) storage space to avoid this.

Gibbo

Another option to utilise under bed space is a lid over the area, but you have to remove the mattress and bedding to get to it.

That's what we've got at the moment, but not for long! it's a real pain. We'll still have to get access to the rear of the compartment cos the chlorifier and associated pumps are there. I'm intending to put a full size board under the mattress with some sort of prop so we don't have to remove everthing to get access.

John

Here is something I have never been able to get my head around. It is an undisputable fact that storage space even on a 70 footer or widebeam craft is at a premium. Reading other threads some like loads of cupboards and some not so much clutter as personal choice and having spoken to other boaters over the years this has always seemed to be the case. Then why when we have vastly better systems ( several types ) to choose from do those same people reduce their storage space massively by fitting a pump out tank......?

Not to mention all the space an engine takes up when a horse can pull the boat along perfectly well.

Not to mention all the space an engine takes up when a horse can pull the boat along perfectly well.

:lol: Crist never thought of that !! but still at least I have a PROPER engine you know the ones tucked in under the back end out of the way, that way you still have room to live on board rather squeeze in next to a garage space. :lol:

It's a personal choice and many people don't like the idea of having to empty a toilet every 2 days instead of every 4 to 8 weeks and also don't like carrying a suitcase full of sh*t down the towpath.

Must agreed with Gibbo you dont have to lose much space,have my tank in bathroom L shape one side sits the toilet with a washbasin and cuboard other side no useable space lost.The 2 person corner bath other side is a waste of space as in the summer as i dont need to carry as much coal :lol:

John

Edited by nb blackbeauty

:lol: Crist never thought of that !! but still at least I have a PROPER engine you know the ones tucked in under the back end out of the way, that way you still have room to live on board rather squeeze in next to a garage space. :lol:

Proper engine! What..... one of those nasty, vibration free, quiet, compact, plenty of power available in an instant, type's of engine?

You could mount in on top of your pumpout tank :lol:

My pump out tank is just fine. What else would I trip up when going in to my engine room to fettle my noisy, rattly, space consuming, open up the throttle and it might reach 800 rpm in as many minutes, JP? :lol:

Proper engine! What..... one of those nasty, vibration free, quiet, compact, plenty of power available in an instant, type's of engine?

You could mount in on top of your pumpout tank :lol:

My pump out tank is just fine. What else would I trip up when going in to my engine room to fettle my noisy, rattly, space consuming, open up the throttle and it might reach 800 rpm in as many minutes, JP? :lol:

Tim

As others have indicated, the reason is perfectly simple: some people have pump out toilets because that's the sort of waste storage system they prefer. Whilst I am not one of those people it's not for reasons of space-saving that I chose to have a cassette. However, I respect everybody's choice of equipment and what's right for them is right for them. I could have bought a single bed for my boat to save space in the bedroom but I chose a 4.5' wide bed because that's what I wanted. In the end all boats are a compromise.

Edited by blackrose

As others have indicated, the reason is perfectly simple: some people have pump out toilets because that's the sort of waste storage system they prefer. Whilst I am not one of those people it's not for reasons of space-saving that I chose to have a cassette. However, I respect everybody's choice of equipment and what's right for them is right for them. I could have bought a single bed for my boat to save space in the bedroom but I chose a 4.5' wide bed because that's what I wanted. In the end all boats are a compromise.

:lol: Hi

Ok thanks for that now I know. Only one thing...my boats not a compromise it is exactly how I wanted it, oh exept did I mention it has a stupid space wasting pumpout tank.................................................... :lol:

This thread seems, to me, like an extremely poor attempt by an oil lamp brigage member to convince people that proper (pump out) toilets are inferior to those cheap plastic caravan type devices.

A lame attempt at a troll.

I'll happily sacrifice some inaccessible (and therefore useless) storage space to avoid this.

Gibbo

I have no objection to using an elsan type toilet, I carry one incase we can't get a pump out, I don't mind emptying it, I put it in there, but what I do mind is humping it out of the boat and up the towing path and then having to lift it above the disposal point. Why do they put them at waste (pun) hight and not low down.

I will carry on using the pump out for 99.8% 0f the time and the carry out for the other 0.2%

We used a cassette loo for a week when we hired a boat before we bought ours. And we definitely prefer the convenience of a pumpout, especially as the tank is large (and under the bed) so we only have to pump out every 6 weeks or so.

As for storage space we have quite a lot and are still improving the efficiency of how we use it. That's an ongoing thing. For example I'd like to replace the blanket box seating in the back room with some funky pod chairs. They'll look great but their current storage space will have to move elsewhere. So I'm thinking of changing the hanging space in the coat-cupboard to shelf space; which would be more efficient for what we need to store.

Tim

Hiya Tim, our boat had a pumpout bog when we moved on 5 years ago. after coping with the foul smelling heap for far to long i took off the toilet, cleaned the tank out . Unfortunately the bathroom had been built on top of the tank so i dried it out ,filled it with sand and pebbles, ironically called ballast. sealed it of and we now use a porta potti which has two spare bases. i am not disabled as such, but have chronic emphysema. we use a wheelbarrow or a set of portable wheels, no probs. cheers

Hiya Tim, our boat had a pumpout bog when we moved on 5 years ago. after coping with the foul smelling heap for far to long i took off the toilet, cleaned the tank out . Unfortunately the bathroom had been built on top of the tank so i dried it out ,filled it with sand and pebbles, ironically called ballast. sealed it of and we now use a porta potti which has two spare bases. i am not disabled as such, but have chronic emphysema. we use a wheelbarrow or a set of portable wheels, no probs. cheers

Good idea, luckily my boatbuilder put it in knowing someday an owner would realise what a waste of space it is so I can easily remove it but I like your idea for your boat at least u can get rid of the sewage without having to find and get alongside a preverbial machine or disposal point.

We been liveaboard for a little over 4 years now.

We used to live in a 4 bedroom farmhouse, the living room alone having more floor space & head height than we now have on our 62 ft boat. We filled the house with clutter in 18 months.

One of the kids moved out a little over a year ago and despite this we still seem to have more clutter than we did when she lived here (this disputing the common belief that once the kids leave the clutter will go).

As for the holding tank, yes, it occupies all of the space under our permanent double. Would I get rid of it - definately not. To utilise this space would at best mean having a couple of drawers that pull out about 14 inches, the rest would have to be accessed via lifting up our very comfortable and not at all light double mattress.

Even with a permanet crew of 3 with an occasional 4th we can go 4 weeks comfortably without pumping out. Pumping out takes us appx 3 hours total including cruise to and from pump out. With our current crew level we'd need to empty a cassette daily. 28 trips at say 10 minutes a time carrying the cassette or a once monthly cruise . . . . I'll keep the pump out.

Pump out bogs with 'dump through' are always going to have some sort of smell issue. Many boats (ours included have a macerator pumpo to a remote holding tank and fresh water flush. We've never used chemicals in ours and there never has been a smell.

If ours was a dump through I'd have ripped it out and gone for cassettes but I'm more than happy with our set up.

We been liveaboard for a little over 4 years now.

We used to live in a 4 bedroom farmhouse, the living room alone having more floor space & head height than we now have on our 62 ft boat. We filled the house with clutter in 18 months.

One of the kids moved out a little over a year ago and despite this we still seem to have more clutter than we did when she lived here (this disputing the common belief that once the kids leave the clutter will go).

As for the holding tank, yes, it occupies all of the space under our permanent double. Would I get rid of it - definately not. To utilise this space would at best mean having a couple of drawers that pull out about 14 inches, the rest would have to be accessed via lifting up our very comfortable and not at all light double mattress.

Even with a permanet crew of 3 with an occasional 4th we can go 4 weeks comfortably without pumping out. Pumping out takes us appx 3 hours total including cruise to and from pump out. With our current crew level we'd need to empty a cassette daily. 28 trips at say 10 minutes a time carrying the cassette or a once monthly cruise . . . . I'll keep the pump out.

Pump out bogs with 'dump through' are always going to have some sort of smell issue. Many boats (ours included have a macerator pumpo to a remote holding tank and fresh water flush. We've never used chemicals in ours and there never has been a smell.

If ours was a dump through I'd have ripped it out and gone for cassettes but I'm more than happy with our set up.

I will admit we used to have a smelly bog but Bio Magic has completely solved this.

Sue

Edited by sueb