what washing machine

bigcol

Featured Posts

Hi all

been looking at the posts re washing machine

We have just bought a 3kw genny (pure sinn wave) to run a washing machine once a week

the forum rates the Candy AQ1000, is this because of the low 1250 total power??

are there other washing machines out there, what am i looking at, when it comes to buying a washing machine for the boat.

What makes a washing machine ideal for the boat

can anyone let us know what models they have, can we have a washer dryer??

If someone can point us too a washing machine that i can buy from comet currys i be happy happy happy :lol::lol:

I want to go in buy and get out. :lol:

Please dont leave me to trawel every shop in northampton please with my wife she will love it, believe me she will drag me arround for hours and hours she could even stretch it over 2 days!!! :lol:

Help!!

Col

Yes, and because it has all the functionality of a 5Kg machine but in a smaller size - a 3,5Kg wash load - which seems to be able to do all my washing OK.

Hi Denis

so is it that the candy aq1000 has a 3.5 kg load is this what makes a washing machine better for narrow boat use.

So I could look for washing machines with a 3.5 kg load drum,

Does this mean(i sound thick i know :lol: ) the washing machine is physically smaller than a normal one?

col

Hi all

We have just bought a 3kw genny (pure sinn wave) to run a washing machine once a week

are there other washing machines out there, what am i looking at, when it comes to buying a washing machine for the boat.

If someone can point us too a washing machine that i can buy from comet currys i be happy happy happy :lol::lol:

Please dont leave me to trawel every shop in northampton please with my wife she will love it, believe me she will drag me arround for hours and hours she could even stretch it over 2 days!!! :lol:

Help!!

Col

I've got a Bosch washer /dryer.

The dryer is a condenser type which doesn't need a vent trunk.

I've not used the dryer function yet but it washes OK.

I'll check what model it is next time I go to the boat.

Hi all

I want to go in buy and get out. ;)

Help!!

Col

I also believe that the Candy dosen't care about the *wave, will work with pure or quasi or whatever.

Wait for it! :lol:

Big Col

If you have a 3Kw pure sine wave generator, you can have any washing machine/washer dryer you or your lady wife wants.

The only proviso is the space to fit it in.

We are having washer dryer that takes a 5Kg wash load and a 5Kg dryer load.

Some washer dryers only take half load when drying ie. 5Kg wash, 2.5Kg dry.

This means if you do a full load wash, half of the washing has to be remove to dry.

Ours will be a CDA make link

Edit: forgot check the water usage it varies a lot between makes and models.

Edited by bottle

Dear Keith

youve just got me into trouble with the missis !!

went on your CDA link http://www.cda.eu/

and the first thing that hits my eyes !, and then the nest thing that comes out of my mouth!

AUTOMATIC BEER DESPENSER :lol::lol: now thats cool!

WOW!!! :lol:

Right back to washing machines!!

col

We have a Hotpoint Aquarius which is invariably run on mains hookup. We bought it because it was 'A' economy rated, had a 1400rpm spin speed which means less drying, a 6Kg load so we can wash quilts etc and a wide variety of wash programmes. We normally us it with a half load wash, time saver, which uses less water and power and a 30degree wash. We didn't want a washer/drier because of the power they consume to dry, preferring the higher spin speed, then a drier infront of the stove or outside in fine weather. We have used the washer 2-3 times per week for 4 trouble free years and it is built into the corner of our bathroom, where it was easier to plumb in and we can hardly hear it running.

Roger

Hi Denis

so is it that the candy aq1000 has a 3.5 kg load is this what makes a washing machine better for narrow boat use.

So I could look for washing machines with a 3.5 kg load drum,

Does this mean(i sound thick i know :lol: ) the washing machine is physically smaller than a normal one?

col

Yes, it's considerably more compact than the 'standard' 5Kg machines, which in my mind makes it a more attractive proposition on a narrowboat and the 3,5Kg capacity isn't bad. There are other 3,5Kg capacity machines on the market.

My Candy Aqua 1000T will work off a poor mains input on the quick wash cycle but the more elaborate spin cycles don't like it. The quick wash does 80% of my needs anyway, so if I need the more intensive wash cycles I use the engine not the genny to keep the batteries alive.

A 3,5Kg capacity machine is going to be a mite more pricey than a 'dime a dozen' 5Kg machine however....

Hi all

Help!!

Col

;) Hi

If u have the space and its not much bigger anyway go for the standard 5 or 6 kg household types lots of reasons.

1 They use very similar power and u have loads anyway

2 less wash days and thats great

3 Use hardly any more water and who cares its not hard to get is it

4 Full size r vastly cheaper my one at the moment a zanussi last year was 170 quid against about 400 for the toy one

We have had the candy baby, we have had a full size washer dryer and the one we have now wins hands down. the squirrel soon has it dried and aired tho we also have a tumble drier which we very very rarely use.

Just measure your doors and make sure u can get it in.

Oh and sod trawling the shops got mine on Ebay perfect and delivered it to my boat.

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

This model gets an excellent write up and is only 400mm deep...also you can get more money off the advertised price by adding their coupons at the 'checkout'

Washing machine link

Yessss!!! This may be what I've been hunting for! I had a wee Italian one on order years ago that was fully manual so didn't mind a quasi sine wave inverter, and only 34 cm deep but they went out of production after I'd built the cupboard to house it and before it arrived. Nowhere else available to put one. Do you know a) if this one copes with quasi sine wave? :lol: how much pipework etc there is at the back? I have 44.5cm depth available at the shallowest point (bit more further up the wall, obviously). And c) if it comes as hot fill or only cold fill?

The only problem might be finding three hundred and fifty squids ...

I also believe that the Candy dosen't care about the *wave, will work with pure or quasi or whatever.

Wait for it! :lol:

The newer Candy's will NOT run on modified sine. The old clockwork ones would, but they have been discontinued for several years now.

My experience with a condenser drier is that the drying cycle consumed more than twice the water that the wash cycle did. A solar drying unit is a much better and more energy efficient option.

Edited by Dominic M

The newer Candy's will NOT run on modified sine. The old clockwork ones would, but they have been discontinued for several years now.

My experience with a condenser drier is that the drying cycle consumed more than twice the water that the wash cycle did. A solar drying unit is a much better and more energy efficient option.

Our boat builder recommended a make and it wasn't Bosch ( which we would have gone for as have been very happy with our domestic Bosch stuff). Just at the moment I can't remember what he said, but will ask tomorrow and post here. The one he settled on was after having to remove several after they didn't cope with less than "good" waveforms, and these seemed to run with no problems - may well be the old Candys

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

We've got a Neff integrated washer dryer which wasn't cheap. We bought it because amongst its functions were quick/warm washes and 1400 spin, they didn't all have at these functions at the time.

The washers great and you can hardly hear it running. The dryer(condensor)takes much to long to dry your clothes. This wouldn't matter so much in a house, but is a pain when your using it via a genny, as others have said they also use water.

We now just use the washer and dry under the cratch in summer or use a maiden in front of the stove in the winter, which given this machine was probably double the price of the Candy, is a bit ridiculous. :lol:

Personally, I'd give condensor dryers a miss, unless you have a shoreline.

We've got a Neff integrated washer dryer which wasn't cheap. We bought it because amongst its functions were quick/warm washes and 1400 spin, they didn't all have at these functions at the time.

The washers great and you can hardly hear it running. The dryer(condensor)takes much to long to dry your clothes. This wouldn't matter so much in a house, but is a pain when your using it via a genny, as others have said they also use water.

We now just use the washer and dry under the cratch in summer or use a maiden in front of the stove in the winter, which given this machine was probably double the price of the Candy, is a bit ridiculous. :lol:

Personally, I'd give condensor dryers a miss, unless you have a shoreline.

Surely a good shoreline would be needed - 16A, not the more common 6A ?

Nick

Surely a good shoreline would be needed - 16A, not the more common 6A ?

Nick

We don't have a shoreline on our mooring so run the washer from the genny which is 4kw continous, there are shorelines on the marina(we're on the endless waiting list :lol: )and they are 16amp.

I just don't rate condensor dryers. :lol:

Edited by david and julie