Marcellus

richardf

Featured Posts

I have been lurking about here for a while, but have not been that active, primarily because for the last few years, we have been without a boat. Our search for something 'different' and interesting (and of course something that we can afford!) has finally led us to the purchase of Marcellus. Originally a butty, she was chopped in two a few years ago - our bit is modelled around the stern - with that part forming the new bow. Sounds slightly odd, but it works for us.

This work was carried out by Ian Clifton, someone who was obviously very gifted, but who sadly passed away a while ago apparently. Only the upper part of the bow is old, the remainder (including all underwater parts) being built in the mid- nineties.

The engine is a Kelvin P4 - it's a bit smoky (but you always need something to worry about on a boat!), but was rebuilt by Chris (could be Jim?) Forster. It sounds great - no silencer straight out through the roof. I am now coming to terms with the gear wheel set up - sure it will be second nature after a while.

If anyone knows the boat or the history of it, we would be very intersted to hear from them.

It's probably a boat that will have the 'rivet counters' pointing and laughing, but we love it. We are moving from Wigrams to Brinklow Marina next week, so give us a wave if you see us - and if anyone moors in Brinklow, please make sure you come and have a drink with us.

I have been lurking about here for a while, but have not been that active, primarily because for the last few years, we have been without a boat. Our search for something 'different' and interesting (and of course something that we can afford!) has finally led us to the purchase of Marcellus. Originally a butty, she was chopped in two a few years ago - our bit is modelled around the stern - with that part forming the new bow. Sounds slightly odd, but it works for us.

This work was carried out by Ian Clifton, someone who was obviously very gifted, but who sadly passed away a while ago apparently. Only the upper part of the bow is old, the remainder (including all underwater parts) being built in the mid- nineties.

The engine is a Kelvin P4 - it's a bit smoky (but you always need something to worry about on a boat!), but was rebuilt by Chris (could be Jim?) Forster. It sounds great - no silencer straight out through the roof. I am now coming to terms with the gear wheel set up - sure it will be second nature after a while.

If anyone knows the boat or the history of it, we would be very intersted to hear from them.

It's probably a boat that will have the 'rivet counters' pointing and laughing, but we love it. We are moving from Wigrams to Brinklow Marina next week, so give us a wave if you see us - and if anyone moors in Brinklow, please make sure you come and have a drink with us.

Oh dear!....the WWW was toying with buying this, before the last owner traded it in to Whilton. We went to see it at Wilton when she was looking for tortoises (don't ask) I better not let her know you bought it.

I never fathomed out if the genernator thingy worked...does it?

There are also two bits of the butty Juno floating around, I think the stern-now-bow end bit is still in Harefield?

Oh dear!....the WWW was toying with buying this, before the last owner traded it in to Whilton. We went to see it at Wilton when she was looking for tortoises (don't ask) I better not let her know you bought it.

There are also two bits of the butty Juno floating around, I think the stern-now-bow end bit is still in Harefield?

The Markon genny? It works OK - just gets driven off a belt from the engine. I've disconnected it for day to day use - but it will come in handy I'm sure.

Yes Neil Juno 2 ( the arse end) is still in Harefield, the Fore end of Richardf's Marcellus was at Cowley for ages, it was sold some time last couple of years after the owner died.

Not sure where it went from then, but will keep an open ear

Chris

btw Richard it does not smoke as badly as Columba !

Post edited because I didn't realise time went by as quick as it did !

Edited by Baldock

We bought the big bit of Marcellus in '07 through John Currer. It was a bit of an impulse buy (I'm a right sucker for old Grand Unions), but we later regretted it, mainly because she was too long for our requirements. She was a nice old girl though, and we sold her last year to some people who I believe are living on her at the top of Tardebigge.

I too looked at little Marcellus, but I'm afraid I hate Kelvins, and didn't like the engine being right at the back.

(I will probably upset someone here)

When is that poor old "flagship" going to be re-painted?..it looks really sad.

No Niel I agree completly, the current "owners" moved off the boat some years back and just dumped it on a relations mooring doors taped up with gaffa tape .

Since then Sir John Knills Historic boat has just sat there and rotted

I know for a fact that 3 people have tried to buy it but they will not sell

I also wonder IF it is licenced/bss/insured or if its not whether BW are or will do anything about it

The old girl deserves a hell of a lot better than that when there are people out there who WOULD maintain it

Chris

And before anybody post contradictions over licence displayal etc etc I am NOT starting another rant over displaying licences etc just making comment and observations of my own will

My wife Zita is Ian Clifton`s widow and she knows a lot about both the marcellus`s , large and small.

If you want to you could mail her on zita@craftmasterpaints.co.uk I`m sure she`ll tell you wwhat she can. Ian was a very good boat builder indeed and would have become one of the superstars before too long. Zita and I lived on bug Marcellus for a good while - lovely boat.

Phil

Excellent! I hope you enjoy your boat for many years to come. I saw Marcellus at Wigrams a few weeks back. I shouldn't worry about any "rivet counters" and there comments, if you love the boat and you enjoy using it that is all that matters. In any case it looks a fine and well made boat to me.

We moor our boat at Wigrams presently just a couple of stages away from the Whilton sales area there. In fact I would be very interested in your experiences at Brinklow as that is top of our list of Marinas (for a change of scene) to move to in the near future.

Hi Richard, Congratulations! :lol:

An old owner of Marcellus has posted on another forum that he has good quality photocopies of Marcellus' guaging papers, which he has offered for the new owner. I can put you both in touch, if interest.

Liam.

Jim Forster (not Chris) was a versatile boatbuilder/engine rebuilder who operated originally from the old Dobsons yard at Shardlow then Kegworth.

Ian Clifton built boats at Shardlow.

I think I may know a previous owner of Marcellus also in Shardlow.

Please give me some time to investigate and I will PM you.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Was Googling as you do and found this thread.

I lived on Marcellus (bow) at Cowley from July 2003 until Feb 2006. She was magnificent and I spent much on her including an Onan genset in the forward hold. I also put a (go on, say it!) Bubble diesel stove in with rads.

I've got plenty of photos on the last two laptops, may be difficult to extract but if it was that important.....I also have, the original gauging papers that I bought, I think from Highline at Iver but only god knows where they are.

Unfortunately, it turned out that the guy I sold her to, Hedley (known as 'H') was both a war hero and a heavy alcoholic. He fell and hit is head I believe, so sad as I thought he had found some solace living afloat on her.

Does anyone know where she is now?

Best regards,

Mark NB Merchant at Maypole Dock in Southall)

Hi,

Was Googling as you do and found this thread.

I lived on Marcellus (bow) at Cowley from July 2003 until Feb 2006. She was magnificent and I spent much on her including an Onan genset in the forward hold. I also put a (go on, say it!) Bubble diesel stove in with rads.

I've got plenty of photos on the last two laptops, may be difficult to extract but if it was that important.....I also have, the original gauging papers that I bought, I think from Highline at Iver but only god knows where they are.

Unfortunately, it turned out that the guy I sold her to, Hedley (known as 'H') was both a war hero and a heavy alcoholic. He fell and hit is head I believe, so sad as I thought he had found some solace living afloat on her.

Does anyone know where she is now?

Best regards,

Mark NB Merchant at Maypole Dock in Southall)

Hi, the front half is moored at the top of Tardebigge and our bit in Stourport! Would love a copy of the gauging sheet - tried to PM you, but I think you need 5 posts before that can happen

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard, Congratulations! :lol:

An old owner of Marcellus has posted on another forum that he has good quality photocopies of Marcellus' guaging papers, which he has offered for the new owner. I can put you both in touch, if interest.

Liam.

That'll be me then! I am Zita Speight's first husband. We owned Rigal & Marcellus in the 80's until I rather carelessly did something rather stupid and let Zita slip through my hands, luckily for her. :blink:

Ian was a superb friend and did a fantastic job on both ends of Marcellus (I kept Rigal)I was present at the finishing of both Marcellus & Marcel (as it was then) Without doubt Ian should have become one of the leading lights in authentic boat building. Check out Arcadia(n?)that he built for one of the Parrot brothers it was astonishing. He was a great bloke and a sad loss.

Yes I still have photocopies of both Rigal & Marcellus' guaging sheets ( they'll need digging out ... I think I know where they are, might take a week or two as about 60 miles away}

I also have the last photos taken of Marcellus as a complete butty, which if others are interested I shall scan and post. She towed beautifully. :cheers:

Yes I still have photocopies of both Rigal & Marcellus' guaging sheets ( they'll need digging out ... I think I know where they are, might take a week or two as about 60 miles away}

I also have the last photos taken of Marcellus as a complete butty, which if others are interested I shall scan and post. She towed beautifully. :cheers:

Copies of the Grand Union Canal Company gauge table for both RIGAL (12500) and MARCELLUS (12447) can be acquired from The Waterways Trust archive. I am not sure whether these gauge registers have been moved from Gloucester (where I transcribed them) to Ellesmere Port yet. These gauge tables were also copied by the B.C.N. Company onto their own tables but retaining the Grand Union Canal Company gauge number. I have in my collection both a transcript and photocopy of these B.C.N. Company gauge registers but I appreciate that these may be of limited interest.

I have known MARCELLUS since 1981 when as a full length butty it was bought by a good friend of mine in Birmingham. I last photographed MARCELLUS as a full length butty on 20 October 1990 near Shardlow (paired with RIGAL). Although I did not speak with the owners it appeared to me that preparations were being made to cut it in two. I have subsequently photographed both ends of MARCELLUS as separate boats, and it was me that 'encouraged' a previous owner of the original stern end (MARCEL) to rename it MARCELLUS.

• 5 weeks later...

My wife Zita is Ian Clifton`s widow and she knows a lot about both the marcellus`s , large and small.

If you want to you could mail her on zita@craftmasterpaints.co.uk I`m sure she`ll tell you wwhat she can. Ian was a very good boat builder indeed and would have become one of the superstars before too long. Zita and I lived on bug Marcellus for a good while - lovely boat.

Phil

The original Marcellus ,butty that is had an apparition in the back cabin now and then