Marcellus

richardf

Featured Posts

Definitely the stern end of MARCELLUS, and I am responsible for talking a previous owner into renaming it from MARCEL back to MARCELLUS captain.gif

Well I for one am glad that you did convince them.

Following on from Zena's post, the PROPER judge.gif Marcellus No. 308 is the original hull back to approx the engine room (housed a Petter PJ3? memory!?). Zena, please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Ian created a new baseplate and footings (around 9" up from the baseplate) to blend with the original hull sides (but with new steel gunwales of course). I also seem to remember she had a nice shapely dent on the port bow.

John Pattle weighed her in at 27 tons at Watford with an empty water tank.

Now, somewhere, I haver Ian's photo record of the rebuild. I'd be happy to pass it on to the current owner if they make contact.

Following on from Zena's post, the PROPER judge.gif Marcellus No. 308 is the original hull back to approx the engine room (housed a Petter PJ3? memory!?). Zena, please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Ian created a new baseplate and footings (around 9" up from the baseplate) to blend with the original hull sides (but with new steel gunwales of course). I also seem to remember she had a nice shapely dent on the port bow.

John Pattle weighed her in at 27 tons at Watford with an empty water tank.

Now, somewhere, I haver Ian's photo record of the rebuild. I'd be happy to pass it on to the current owner if they make contact.

I disagree with you on the following points.

There is no PROPER Marcellus No.308 unless you are referring to the photos of mine in post 20 of this thread.

I would argue that both boats are entitled to use the name and would ask you to define the word "Proper".

Your comment Ian created a new baseplate and footings (around 9" up from the baseplate) applies to both parts of the boat, so what?

Yes he did put an over bored three cylinder Perkins in the longer bit which a subsequent owner removed.

Most importantly, Who the Dickens is Zena?

That's certainly not the lady who was my wife when I bought Marcellus and from what I recall she certainly didn't have a shapely dent anywhere, nor do I hope has she now. I still know her Mother and would expect her to demand an explanation from me.

Even if you did get her name right I doubt she would correct you, she tends to find the business of pouring endlessly over every last washer and who welded what to which bit a tad tiresome.

However I shall contact her today and confirm whether or not she has changed her mind in which case, if she has, I'll happily restrict my views and comments to the time when we both owned her as a butty.

I disagree with you on the following points.

There is no PROPER Marcellus No.308 unless you are referring to the photos of mine in post 20 of this thread.

I would argue that both boats are entitled to use the name and would ask you to define the word "Proper". Hence the smiley!

Your comment Ian created a new baseplate and footings (around 9" up from the baseplate) applies to both parts of the boat, so what? Informative for others who may read this and be interested, also for the current owner/OP of the "aft 'alf".

Yes he did put an over bored three cylinder Perkins in the longer bit which a subsequent owner removed. Yes I'd heard that the 2nd owner on from myself had changed the engine - would be interested to know what to though?

Most importantly, Who the Dickens is Zena? zenataomm

That's certainly not the lady who was my wife when I bought Marcellus and from what I recall she certainly didn't have a shapely dent anywhere (am not sure she'd appreciate you denying any shapely dents she may have/had!), nor do I hope has she now. I still know her Mother and would expect her to demand an explanation from me.clapping.gif

Even if you did get her name right I doubt she would correct you, she tends to find the business of pouring endlessly over every last washer and who welded what to which bit a tad tiresome.

However I shall contact her today and confirm whether or not she has changed her mind in which case, if she has, I'll happily restrict my views and comments to the time when we both owned her as a butty. Be sure to inform her that in your opinion, she has no shapely dents though ...

Edited by Markinaboat

Aha! by shortening my logon i.d. you got astonishingly close to to Ian's widow's first name.

Do you do the lottery?

I remember ... Zita or Zeta!?

I do indeed 'Zen' and am offering my limited circulation of 'Win Your Way up the Cut' for a paltry £9.99!

[now back to cleaning my Ducati!]

• 2 years later...

Hi, Ian Clifton was uncle.

this is a long shot but curious if anyone on here has any information regarding his work on this boat and others.

and pictures or details would be massively appreciated and id love to do it for my dad as we don't have many things to remember him by.

thanks in advance 

this is a long shot but curious if anyone on here has any information regarding his work on this boat and others.

and pictures or details would be massively appreciated and id love to do it for my dad as we don't have many things to remember him by.

thanks in advance 

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/09/2018 at 02:27, clifton321 said:

thanks in advance 

thanks in advance 

Marcellus (the stern end) moored in Limehouse this Summer....during the 'big loop'

IMG_1262.JPG

I saw it on the upper thames earlier this year near Oxford and was intrigued to note that the stern appears to be "Northwich" ie Yarwoods style motor stern in that it has 3 tunnel bands whereas the front is the back of a H&W butty. It would seem more logical to replicate the stern of a "Woolwich" motor when using part of a "Woolwich" boat. Its a nice boat though and the stern is very well executed as is the steel cabin. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Happy 1

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 17:25, PLW said:

That would be me then!

1 hour ago, PLW said:

Marcellus (the stern end) moored in Limehouse this Summer....during the 'big loop'

IMG_1262.JPG

Looking good and pretty much as she did when we "saved" her from her previous life as Marcel with the help of Andy Russell☺️

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

I saw it on the upper thames earlier this year near Oxford and was intrigued to note that the stern appears to be "Northwich" ie Yarwoods style motor stern in that it has 3 tunnel bands whereas the front is the back of a H&W butty. It would seem more logical to replicate the stern of a "Woolwich" motor when using part of a "Woolwich" boat. Its a nice boat though and the stern is very well executed as is the steel cabin. 

That bit of Marcellus does in fact have the correct back end ….. it just happens to be at the other end.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 17:11, pete harrison said:

Definitely the stern end of MARCELLUS, and I am responsible for talking a previous owner into renaming it from MARCEL back to MARCELLUS captain.gif

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 17:25, PLW said:

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

That would be me then!

'Halsey' - The owner of MARCEL when I spoke with them had the initials J.K., so if this was you then yes :captain:

On 17/10/2018 at 18:22, Halsey said:

That would be me then!

Looking good and pretty much as she did when we "saved" her from her previous life as Marcel with the help of Andy Russell☺️

I try my best!!...she was very well behaved this Summer during my 500 odd mile trip

On 17/10/2018 at 21:40, Halsey said:

That's me ………………………..hi!☺️

and Hi from me...

On 17/10/2018 at 17:16, magnetman said:

Hello, good to meet you on the Thames this year. All the best.

• Happy 1