Marcellus

richardf

Featured Posts

Hi Again,

As mentioned earlier, I owned and lived on Marcellus from July 2003 - Feb 2006 at Cowley near Uxbridge. She was red and blue then.

I have the original gauging papers and a photo album (somewhere!) covering Ian's restoration and conversion. He intended to live on her himself but passed away just before completion. I believe Malcolm Braine completed some of the interior.

Whilst I had her, she had 32 rivets ring-welded by John Pattel at Croxley after having her surveyed.

I don't use this forum often and unable to check in and search the forums for postings etc. If anyone wants to organise a pm facility for me then please do so or email me directly (guess I shouldn't put my email address here?

Regards

Mark

Hi Again,

As mentioned earlier, I owned and lived on Marcellus from July 2003 - Feb 2006 at Cowley near Uxbridge. She was red and blue then.

I have the original gauging papers and a photo album (somewhere!) covering Ian's restoration and conversion. He intended to live on her himself but passed away just before completion. I believe Malcolm Braine completed some of the interior.

Whilst I had her, she had 32 rivets ring-welded by John Pattel at Croxley after having her surveyed.

I don't use this forum often and unable to check in and search the forums for postings etc. If anyone wants to organise a pm facility for me then please do so or email me directly (guess I shouldn't put my email address here?

Regards

Mark

Mark, please contact me at richardfrost59ATbtinternetDOTcom

Cheers

PS - I think you might have owned the other half!

• 3 years later...

Wow, nice to see this old thread revived!

Somewhere I have an album with all of Ian's (Ian Clifton) build photos of big (proper ;-) Marcellus. I also have the gauging paper (laminated) somewhere in storage with the pics. If the current owner makes contact perhaps the photos/doc can be reunited with this beautiful boat that I have so many find memories of living aboard. Here's a pic of how she looked when I lived on her 2003-2006.post-14023-0-94066600-1452335459_thumb.jpeg

Correction mundo! just craned back in after 32 rivets were ring welded and blacked, baseplate as well.

The guy I sold her to, Hedley, allowed other ally's into the boat and I here it was trashed. Also some not very nice locals stripped out the Onan genset and new Victron inverter/charger. I put both in at great cost.

• 3 months later...

Hello All,

I am the proud new owner of Marcellus (front end) and thought I would make contact and say Hi.

Regards

Paul

I am confused - what is the length of your MARCELLUS ?

My Marcellus is 48ft

I guess why Pete is confused, and I am too, (but then I'm easily confused!), is that I would have thought if you have the 48 foot boat that incorporates some of Marcellus, then the bit you have is the back end of the original boat, not the front end, as your post implies?

I believe that Marcellus was a butty, and so the remaining original section is a small length of the bow....

Well unless I'm completely wrong, I thought the 48 foot part was built from the stern of the butty.

I thought the longer Marcellus still has the bow?

This bit I think is the stern end, travelling backwards - am I wrong?

marcellus_1.jpg

EDIT:

The very first post in this thread by previous owner says.....

I have been lurking about here for a while, but have not been that active, primarily because for the last few years, we have been without a boat. Our search for something 'different' and interesting (and of course something that we can afford!) has finally led us to the purchase of Marcellus. Originally a butty, she was chopped in two a few years ago - our bit is modelled around the stern - with that part forming the new bow. Sounds slightly odd, but it works for us.

This work was carried out by Ian Clifton, someone who was obviously very gifted, but who sadly passed away a while ago apparently. Only the upper part of the bow is old, the remainder (including all underwater parts) being built in the mid- nineties.

Edited by alan_fincher

I believe that Marcellus was a butty, and so the remaining original section is a small length of the bow....

There is a Marcellus that has used the stern of the original boat as the bow of the new boat.

Richard

Yes the orginal bit is 'now' the bow of the new boat...sorry for the confusion

Unfortunately, you are now doomed to endless jokes from historic boat fans about how you are travelling backwards

Richard

Unfortunately, you are now doomed to endless jokes from historic boat fans about how you are travelling backwards

Richard

so that's why it steers so well in reverse...

• Greenie 2

Marcellus passed from me as an intact Butty.

Ian Clifton turned the Back end into a bow and made a shorter boat originally called Marcel. Originally he got the rivet line wrong and there was a step in the line nearer the back end (this may well have been corrected by now) I think he told me it was due to forgetting about allowing for the wooden cant line on the original and then starting welding rivets from the back instead of following back from the original rivet line. He also welded a hollow stem post onto what was the original cast stern post. It was good, but never looked authentic as a Woolwich front because of it.

The front end was by far the larger part of the original hull and Ian constructed a very good counter and back end to weld onto the the much larger front end. He had a good eye and that was the boat he kept to live on with his wife.

Marcellus passed from me as an intact Butty.

Ian Clifton turned the Back end into a bow and made a shorter boat originally called Marcel. Originally he got the rivet line wrong and there was a step in the line nearer the back end (this may well have been corrected by now) I think he told me it was due to forgetting about allowing for the wooden cant line on the original and then starting welding rivets from the back instead of following back from the original rivet line. He also welded a hollow stem post onto what was the original cast stern post. It was good, but never looked authentic as a Woolwich front because of it.

The front end was by far the larger part of the original hull and Ian constructed a very good counter and back end to weld onto the the much larger front end. He had a good eye and that was the boat he kept to live on with his wife.

excellent thank you for the details.....there is obviously a lot of history behind the boat.