Spotters Guide to the Stouport Ring

Webchem

Featured Posts

That time of year has come around again, this time next week I will be with 20 17 year olds this time doing the Stouport Ring.

:rolleyes:

This year I want to give them a spotters guide to the ring of anything unusual that they might spot as we go around, things like the barge locks at Diglis, the circular wiers on the Staffy etc.

I would really appreciate some ideas and thoughts about what they might be able to see (and possibly photograph). So has anyone any ideas on the following.

1. Unusual bits of canal structure or engineering they might see

2. Oddities present while doing the ring (staircase locks etc)

3. If you have a boat moored anywhere on the ring, please coudl you let me know and (with your permission) be included in the spotters guide.

4. We are also visiting the Black Country Museum/Dudley Tunnel, so anything unusual there that they could spot would be nice.

Thanks in advance chaps.

Cheers

Jools

:wacko:

At the BCM (http://www.bclm.co.uk/) the Lime stone mines are worth a visit. You cannot take your own boat through but trips operate every 15 mins. Website is here http://www.octima.com/dct/dct_new/dct/default.htm

Theres also the President steam narrow boat thats usually moored there. http://www.nb-president.org.uk/

And of course the main attraction is my half blue & half battleship grey narrow boat moored along side!

You will also pass through Netherton tunnel - one of the longest on the canal network - takes a good 30 minutes to go through.

What date are you expected to arrive at the BCM - pop over and say hello!!

Edited by stuart

Cheers Stuart,

We are doing the BCLM as well as the Dudley Tunnel. The kind people at the trust are ferrying us from Park Head Locks on early morning of 11th July by taxi then taking us back through the tunnel in the afternoon after we have had our fill of the museum.

Looking forward to seeing P&K again as I am a member of their appreciation society ( :rolleyes: ).

Will say hi.

Cheers

Jools

That time of year has come around again, this time next week I will be with 20 17 year olds this time doing the Stouport Ring.

:rolleyes:

This year I want to give them a spotters guide to the ring of anything unusual that they might spot as we go around, things like the barge locks at Diglis, the circular wiers on the Staffy etc.

I would really appreciate some ideas and thoughts about what they might be able to see (and possibly photograph). So has anyone any ideas on the following.

1. Unusual bits of canal structure or engineering they might see

2. Oddities present while doing the ring (staircase locks etc)

3. If you have a boat moored anywhere on the ring, please coudl you let me know and (with your permission) be included in the spotters guide.

4. We are also visiting the Black Country Museum/Dudley Tunnel, so anything unusual there that they could spot would be nice.

Thanks in advance chaps.

Cheers

Jools

:wacko:

24787[/snapback]

As far as I remeber, the narrow locks off the severn into Stourport basins are both staircases.

the top lock of tardebigge is one of the deepest narrow locks in the country.

on the birmingham main line at one point you have three layers of transport, Canal on the bottom, then rail, then motorway on the top.

If you get chance to venture down Dudley No 2, gosty hill tunnel must the tightest squeeze for a boat (very claustrophobic!)

Stourport has an inland pleasure beach (permenant fun fair)