Bromsgrove Boats

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Thank you Athy and Davy.

I am now educated. believe it or not, they are now GREEN on Nightwatch.

I must admit I'm slightly worried. Seahunter joins, posts some detailed comments about MY boat and disappears. Am I being set up for a QSS situation?

Martyn

Hi when i said hard handrail i meant stern rail. if i am right the galley is in the stern then bedroom then bathroom and saloon in bow .central heating Aldi Boiler . gas locker on stern bulk head. on the star board side is there 5 36" x21" windows and 1 18"x21" window which is bathroom on port side 5 windows side doors in saloon or lounge .toilet mansfield travler and also a hip bath if this info wrong i am sorry for wasting your time .

what do you me by qss and no this not a set up . i was looking up the past and came across this web site and you were looking for information .i don't mean to worry you . I might of fitted her out .

Edited by seahunter

I'm very sorry to 'voice' my worry in typical Northern fashion.

Now that you have 'come back' I am more relaxed. just a little paranoid.

QSS was a narrow boat that went missing sometime ago and has not been seen again since.

Now, i have a question. You obviously know Nightwatch, were you the builder/fitterouterer? !st Owner.

Okay that was two questions.

Martyn

Hi Seahunter

Are you still in the trade.

Any further info would be much appreciated. things like, how many boats did they turn out, what happened to Bromsgrove boats and so on.

my wife has just asked to ask you, do you know the size of the water tank. yeah! I know, wives eh!

I am really interested to know as much as possible about Nightwatch. It seems a well built boat.

Thanks again for responding

Martyn

Hi Bromsgrove boats built 20 boats a mixture of semi trad's and cruisers and a small narrow boat range could Romany's. the company was closed down and we split up. that's all there is to tell. i cannot remember tank size sorry. i do have photos of the boat.

• 7 years later...

Hi,  I have just seen a post from you from you to ' Nightwatch', back in 2009 regarding an inquiry about Bromsgrove Boat Builders.  I purchased a narrow boat called 'Summertime' back in November 2020.  I would really like to find out more about the original build or see any photo's of the boat from that period.

If you still have these would it please be possible to send me them?

Kind regards,

Steve.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sadly, I didn’t get any info or photos from the chap who contributed to this thread. As mentioned I didn’t manage to get hold of him since. The only info I have is what is in this thread.

10 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Thanks again.  Out of interest does your boat have 'Bromsgrove boat builders' printed on the dashboard? 

Thanks.

Nope! There’s no notification of the hull builder at all on the boat. No indication that the actual hull fabricator being Dave Clark. But I have documents (letters) advising of price and design from prior to build. Laid down in 1989. Finished and fitted out by Bromsgrove in 1991.

Edited by Nightwatch

Thanks for that Nightwatch.  I think our boat was built in 1996 and had been owned by the vendor for the last 11 years and is in very good condition.  He was very methodical about maintaining the boat.....we got full records of everything that's been done to the boat over that period.  He also , kindly , left onboard all tools and spares, tins of paint, etc, required to maintain her.  We did have a hull survey carried out which stated that the maximum pitting was only .4mm.  I think were very fortunate in our purchase and are shortly to go on our third mini-cruise since things reopened........really enjoying the canals!

Steve.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I thought I would join this thread as I have recently purchased a 30ft nb which has a brass plate saying Bromsgrove Boats Ltd inside. I was searching for information and stumbled across these posts. I was told it was built in 1992. It has had no maintenance externally for 15 years. It will be lifted out and surveyed/restored near the end of the year. The internal layout is great, but not sure if the interior fit is original. 20220521_180010.jpg.d9e665f9432d2d5cb99daea077be4e5d.jpg

Congratulations into your foray in boat ownership.

You say you are planning to have a survey later this year - it is normaly advised to have a survey before you buy the boat, then if it is a 'bad' survey you have the chance to back out of the purchase.

Hopefully it will be OK.

The fit out looks like similar 'design' and woodwork to my late 80's NB (not a Bromsgrove boat) so I think it is most likely original.

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Is the light wood real or laminate?

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have no idea - it was 30 odd years ago and I wasn't into cutting it up

And is Sal7373's real wood?

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

we just used it for a couple of years and it was sold and went off down to London as a liveaboard for a couple.

Where no doubt it all got painted white!

• Haha 1

The light wood on mine is laminate. Its started to peel off in a couple of places 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My 1980's 30 foot NB

The light wood / dark wood borders must have been 'in' at the time.

IMG_20130912_122235.jpg

IMG_20130912_122412.jpg

It seems this was the trend then :-)

• 2 weeks later...