Bromsgrove Boats

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hello all

Anyone have any information on the above company. Are they called summut else now.

I have searched the t'net to no avail.

Never heard of them. Maybe a one or two off from a here today gone tomorrow builder. There have been a few of them in the past decade. Who fabricated the shell?

Never heard of them. Maybe a one or two off from a here today gone tomorrow builder. There have been a few of them in the past decade. Who fabricated the shell?

they are not on the side of the cut, I've been told they work out of some units in or around bromsgrove...

I have dug out some paperwork.

Bromsgrove Boat Builders (Holdstrong Limited) 11 Sugarbrook Road Aston Fields Ind Est Bromsgrove.

I have a quote dated 1991 created by a David Hodges. They give a specification for the hull build and fit out as if they built the hull.

I will look further to see if I have anything else.

Martyn

I have tried the telephone number tonight to see if I got a response or a answering machine.

The number is live but no answer. wll try in the morn.

Surely someone knows of then in more detail. I have no problem with the boat just want to find out something about it. I believe I am the third owner.

Martyn

Thanks Alan

This is getting spooky!

I have been told it's a good hull, even been told it has good lines but he may have been taking the wotsit.

Bromsgrove must have made a good profit from this boat and emigrated.

Martyn

Controlling that Gt Haywood picture viewer is like playing one of those old ball bearing maze games!

Yes, but the sub £25K price tag shows just where the market place has gone lately. I'm guessing you could offer a lot less, and still be accepted. I wish you could have bought that much boat at those kind of price bands when we bought ours.

The only obvious downside would seem to be the Ford diesel, which people don't seem to rate in a narrow boat environment.

Thanks for the links Alan. They are definatley from the same stable. We have tongue and grove all over the place. We like it.

Yes the slide show is difficult to control.

Our boat did have the Ford engine but this was replaced with a Shire prior to us buying. I'm told it's 50 hp which is okay but is thirsty.

When we were cruising last year our friends called out an engineer to Napton to look at their boat, however he recconised "Nightwatch" as being laid up at Gailey waiting for the engine replacement.

Thanks for the links Alan. They are definatley from the same stable. We have tongue and grove all over the place. We like it.

Yes the slide show is difficult to control.

Our boat did have the Ford engine but this was replaced with a Shire prior to us buying. I'm told it's 50 hp which is okay but is thirsty.

When we were cruising last year our friends called out an engineer to Napton to look at their boat, however he recconised "Nightwatch" as being laid up at Gailey waiting for the engine replacement.

:lol: I think I know your boat. Did you buy it from a chap called David who was a semi retired Solicitor from Somerset? He used to keep it on the K&A near Bath. I saw it a couple of years ago at Clatercote so it would quite a coincidence if yours is a different boat.

Edited by David Schweizer

Hi David

Yep on all accounts.

We bought the boat via Norbury Wharf, I think it was he that replaced the engine and installed some good equipement ie. 3kw inverter, sofa bed, ect.

We have been at Clattercote for about 3 years now but were on the K&A with our other boat, Tawny Owl a 32' Mick Sivewright based at Newbury. We liked the K&A but wanted to go further afield.

Martyn

Hi David

Yep on all accounts.

We bought the boat via Norbury Wharf, I think it was he that replaced the engine and installed some good equipement ie. 3kw inverter, sofa bed, ect.

We have been at Clattercote for about 3 years now but were on the K&A with our other boat, Tawny Owl a 32' Mick Sivewright based at Newbury. We liked the K&A but wanted to go further afield.

Martyn

Nightwatch used to moor almost oppsite us on the K&A, but we moved to the Midlands about five years ago. We met David and Liz on thier new boat "Indulgence" last year at Braunston, they haven't changed a bit.

I am glad someone replaced the original engine, it was a bit of a dog. I locked up the K&A with Nightwatch one summer and although we both left each lock together, I was usually able to get to the next lock first, tie up and prepare the lock before they appeared, and I was single handed. This had nothing to do with David's ability, or his enthusiasm for turning locks, the boat was just so incredibly slow.

As an aside, we were followed all day through Crofton by a professional Photographer who took dozens of photos of us working the locks. he said he was freelance and sold pictures to Magazines etc, but I have never seen any of them ever published.

Edited by David Schweizer

Hi

It was in fact david that had the engine replaced at Gailey by JD Boats

Smashing engine.

If you see them again please pass on my regards, I will look out for Indulgence. Sadly we only met David once on handover day and never met Liz during the transaction.

What we do know is that when they bought the boat the name was Nightwatch II and they dropped the II bit. As you will know is that the boat is "very" green I mean everything is green. Did David and Liz have this painting done for selling?

We have found traces of green,yellow red and even black on the exterior of the boat so it must have been all these colours at some point.

Are they registered on the forum?

Many thanks

Martyn

I have dug out some paperwork.

Bromsgrove Boat Builders (Holdstrong Limited) 11 Sugarbrook Road Aston Fields Ind Est Bromsgrove.

I have a quote dated 1991 created by a David Hodges. They give a specification for the hull build and fit out as if they built the hull.

I will look further to see if I have anything else.

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

A search of Companies House lists two Companies (both now dissolved) Registered as "Holdstrong Limited" Company Numbers 02515272 (dissolved 09/08/1994) and 03364138 (dissolved 27/02/2002).

There is a builder not far away in Mill Lane Bromsgrove, but I do not know if they were connected in anyway with "Bromsgrove Boats".

They were a customer of mine when I was a rep in that area, but as you now know, they closed down a while ago.

Think one of their fitters went to Pinders and someone else went to the yard by the Eagle & Sun at Hanbury.

Nice boats. Had a stand at the NEC one year.

• 4 years later...

Hi, narrow boat nightwatch. the steel work was by Dave Clarke boats of Mansfield . fit out by bromsgrove boat builders, engine was a beta marine ford.

colour scheme was white cabin sides ,black roof ,black tumble Holmes. and a hardwood hand rail. She was launched at stourport on seven and moored at stourport marina.

Wow!

Thank you Sea hunter.

As mentioned earlier, Nightwatch is now green all over, and I mean all over.

The hand rails are now steel. Must have been quite rare in the early 90's to have wood handrails.

Are we talking about the same boat. I have the impression that there was more than one at sometime in the past.

May I ask how you know this information?

Martyn edit to add a question.

Edited by Nightwatch

A tumble home is a styling design where the top or bottom curves away from the (usually) vertical side, used to avoid a 'slab-sided' appearance or to give clearance where required i.e. it tucks i at the bottom or rolls in at the top - imagine the curvature along the side of a car or railway carriage

I would guess that the upper reaches of the hull roll inwards above the top rubbing strake on your boat and that the blacking stops (stopped) on the strake with paint being used above.