Boat Insurance

Gibbo

Featured Posts

My insurance is due at the beginning of next month. The renewal policy came through from the same company I've been insured with for a few years. I've always just paid it and not bothered. This year I thought I'd see if I could get it cheaper. So I had a look round the internet. I've been paying well over the odds.

They quoted (on the renewal) £420

I said "I'll go elsewhere. It's too expensive"

She instantly came down to £187 !!!!!!!!!!

I said "You have to beat this other quote I have. It's £178

"Ok Sir, we can just do that but £177 is the cheapest we could do"

I know I could still get it cheaper but I can't be bothered giving someone else my inside leg measurement, date and place of birth, criminal record, medical history, driving licence number, occupation, washine machine type, style and colour of carpets, pets I own, childrens' names, curtain material, favourite singer etc etc etc etc etc

Gibbo

My insurance is due at the beginning of next month. The renewal policy came through from the same company I've been insured with for a few years. I've always just paid it and not bothered. This year I thought I'd see if I could get it cheaper. So I had a look round the internet. I've been paying well over the odds.

I know I could still get it cheaper but I can't be bothered giving someone else my inside leg measurement, date and place of birth, criminal record, medical history, driving licence number, occupation, washine machine type, style and colour of carpets, pets I own, childrens' names, curtain material, favourite singer etc etc etc etc etc

Gibbo

You forgot your shoe size!

Hell-fire! that is some price range. It's odd isn't it how that sort of thing leaves a bad taste even though you have got it cheaper you (least I) can't help thinking these people are not interested in looking after their existing customers.

Gibbo

£167 fully comp with Nautical Insurance and that was without any haggling and me a newby. I'll let you know what their claims dept is like as I fell in recenly :lol: and on the way past damaged our neighboring boat with my elbow :lol: and lost the starter battery I was carrying!

Edited to add 56ft Trad

Edited by johnjo

£167 fully comp with Nautical Insurance and that was without any haggling and me a newby. I'll let you know what their claims dept is like as I fell in recenly :lol: and on the way past damaged our neighboring boat with my elbow :lol: and lost the starter battery I was carrying!

Edited to add 56ft Trad

It's the value of the boat that determines the premium, not the size or style.

Pays to shop around, even if it is a pain in the posteriarse.

Love your phraseology!!

Stickleback

It's the value of the boat that determines the premium, not the size or style.

Value certainly - style - not necessarily - size - usually comes into the equation. And condition perhaps? But from the posts here - I've been taken for a ride.

Stickleback

Edited by stickleback

For the past few days I have been having similar problems getting insurance for a m/bike + sidecar, sadly my favourite insurer, Saga won't quote me.

Anyone have any suggestions..

To my great surprise none of the company's will offer a discount for the sidecar, in my youth they would offer around 90% discount on the grounds that the insured must be a dim 'bank clerk' wrinkly who is reluctant to get through 2nd gear.

Love your phraseology!!

Stickleback

Value certainly - style - not necessarily - size - usually comes into the equation. And condition perhaps? But from the posts here - I've been taken for a ride.

Stickleback

I know of no insurer who adjusts the premium according to size. Why would they? It is purely value. And given the incredibly low risk, it is a huge con too in most cases. I never insured my own boats until it became compulsory in 1996. And I saved a lot of money.

For the past few days I have been having similar problems getting insurance for a m/bike + sidecar, sadly my favourite insurer, Saga won't quote me.

To my great surprise none of the company's will offer a discount for the sidecar, in my youth they would offer around 90% discount on the grounds that the insured must be a dim 'bank clerk' wrinkly who is reluctant to get through 2nd gear.

John

The trouble probably is that nobody at the insurance company has any idea what a sidecar is!

John,

What is the bike and sidecar? Just interested. In my youth had a BSA M21 with the AA sidecar, Panther with a Watsonian D/A sidecar, and lastly a Cossack Dnieper with a sidecar with fittings for a machine gun!!

Had a similar experience with our home insurance late last year. Renewal came through at nearly £500, rang the company and complained and told them I had two cars with them as well and they instantly came down to £300 (contents and buildings).

John - try Adrian Flux for the mb+sc - they insure most things.

http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/

Edited to also read: Had two classic minis insured with them a while ago and were very good when one was written off.

Edited by tillergirl

Hi John ,

have a look here - http://www.onlyinsurance.com/Bike-Insuranc...-available.aspx

I have no idea what they are like though.

Had a similar experience with our home insurance late last year. Renewal came through at nearly £500, rang the company and complained and told them I had two cars with them as well and they instantly came down to £300 (contents and buildings).

John - try Adrian Flux for the mb+sc - they insure most things.

http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/

Edited to also read: Had two classic minis insured with them a while ago and were very good when one was written off.

Insured with Adrian Flux for a while with the cars then found Carol Nash to be far cheaper and better cover.

Third Party only insurance is the way to go - thanks Carl. BTW I don't know how to post a link, sorry.

That depends very much on what you are insuring.

Wouldnt dream of insuring my boat third party only or my cars for that matter. If you have an old banger fair play but for anything worth something fully comp is the only option.

When I started driving I was quoted a price for comp insurance, that was so much more than for 3rd party that I could have bought another identical car with twice the difference.

On the basis that I was unlikely to write a car off every two years, I insured 3rd party.

I only have 3rd party cover on the boat. I would prefer 3rd party and fire cover, as that is IMHO the only sigificant risk of total loss I am likely to experience, but no-one seems to offer that...

Had a similar rant on here a few weeks back when shopping for my insurance renewal. Like Gibbo I couldnt be bothered going through the whole 'new customer' palaver when merely quoting a few comparison figures at my current insurer sent the renewal quote into free-fall. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and as I'll be armed witht fresh survey ad valuation by next renewal, it's 99% certain I'll be buying elsewhere.

The reverse happens when making a claim - never ever accept the first amount they offer, and always double-check if told something's 'not covered'. They's sneaky so-and-sos, insurance companies! Fair enough in a free market, but as consumers it's good to put up a fair fight..

When I started driving I was quoted a price for comp insurance, that was so much more than for 3rd party that I could have bought another identical car with twice the difference.

On the basis that I was unlikely to write a car off every two years, I insured 3rd party.

I only have 3rd party cover on the boat. I would prefer 3rd party and fire cover, as that is IMHO the only sigificant risk of total loss I am likely to experience, but no-one seems to offer that...

Am i right in saying you live on your boat?

I wouldnt dream of having only third party insurance on my home.

What if the unthinkable happens and your home/boat is severly damaged by yourself?

Does this mean you've managed to find your perfect set-up? Pics pls!

Currently with craftinsure I had an alternator failure which cooked the batteries and knackered the sound on my 12 volt tv. Insurance I thought in desperation. Nope! engine and electrical equipment including accessories not covered. My thoughts turned to the TV Nope! consequential damage. Had I told porkies and said it fell off when I was rammed it wouldn't have been covered because it comes in the delicate equipment catergory. Had I a justifiable claim the first £150 was not covered and the maximum claim per item is £250! I've since looked at other policies and their all the same. By the way if you hit a submerged object you might have a claim if it can be proven what the object was but you're not covered if you hit a mine or you are torpedoed.

If you are eligible for Saga insurance, John, the assumption is you are old enough to have outgrown such toys!

They'll do a cracking rate for insuring a mobility scooter though.....