IWA 2009 National Festival

Purple Fairie

Featured Posts

Bump. Seeing as the time has come.

Weather looks to be good enough to me: http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=NG11

Spoke to someone who is already on site and they said it's not even muddy (that'll make a change!!), but it was very windy today and they are leaving some of the banners and displays for us to help set up in the morning.

Is the Soar still in the "green"?

Spoke to someone who is already on site and they said it's not even muddy (that'll make a change!!), but it was very windy today and they are leaving some of the banners and displays for us to help set up in the morning.

Was very windy setting up today, rathcet straps rock!

Not mudy when we left at about 5.

No clue about the soar but lots of boats out to the banter so i think its fine.

Bon

Yes Soar is still very much in green. Had a great trip up yesterday all be it a BIT windy. Good night last night listening to the Kinx. Anybody about we are doing a stint on the IWA Infomation stand, the WINS stand of the gate over the week end. Or the beeeeeeer tent. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by NB Phoenix

Well be the time it was 12 bells and i hadnt actually managed to leave cheshire i decided it was silly to go for three hours so am hanging fire till late this afternoon, going straight to the banter tonight at loughborough and on to the festival tomorrow for sunday.

- Will be wearing black jeans, white t-shirt with kitcar image and a red zipfronted hoodie.

Daniel

So far been a good weekend. Dhutch gave me a few stickers today so come find me if you want one. £1.50 each. (i'll try get to see you tomorrow mikev....or save you one failing that)

Time for a hot shower after the miserable rain late this afternoon! (i'm promised sun tomorrw tho)

Bon

well not sure I would describe it as that well supported or that good..

Or perhaps it was on too larger site... certainly not attractive

but seeing @ 8 varied cars and pleas for some dogs to show how poorly behaved they can be didnt strike me as entertainment

indeed even relevant,,,,

Thought the various music quite good and the morris folks on saturday colourfull...

Visited most stands and the various trusts/restoration groups could learn to devlope a few postive approach skills or at least engage visitors... of the ones that approached us all appeared apologetic or even a touch negative in their approach.. only one asked if we were actually boaters!

most seemed lacking in progress steps that we "readily" understandable in a few moments.. and whilst I accept that some plans will take decades to complete - it might have been benefical to have all these groups and the working groups in one area -

with whats been achieved in the last 12 months in total... eg in the last 12 months 35 miles of canals with 65 locks havebeen restored to use,... and why do the foxton incline and new bedford waterways emphasise the "benefit" of providing wide beam access - I question the value of the effort of including them specifically (gets tin hat and body armour out ready) when they are such a small % and will any actually make extended cruises - or would this encourage more of then?

Overall we didnt try and find walk the towpaths as frankly too awkward to try and find them as there were boats /moorings through the fencing and security..

After last years even which we enjoyed we wouldnt return to this location..

and lastly I assume the boaters that did turn up were responsible for drinking the bar dry.. (good effort chaps/lasses)

on the saturday @ 8-10 beers available - sunday lunch time @ 13.00 4 and by 15.oo none!!!

not impressed... forced me to try the tetleys... and a shame the weather turned...

hey ho..

Went through heading south on Saturday (to Loughborough, for CWDF drinks) and back north on the Sunday.

Liked the collection of Sea Otters and remember seeing Gamebird, though I didn't realise it was Haggis at the time!

A friend of mine with only 2 hours boating experience was on the tiller all the way through the festival on Saturday and she did really well, so that was a result. In at the deep end!

Edited by sociable_hermit

I thought too that the site was a bit too large and things were scattered around. Slight disappointment. Was not festival-like at all. Funny that I had booked 2 tickets in advance and we just walked in and never collected them. It was not obvious where to get them and we got in anyway, so... Good point is that we got show prices on some stuff and I enjoyed the handpainted lettering course.

Frog.

So far been a good weekend. Dhutch gave me a few stickers today so come find me if you want one. £1.50 each. (i'll try get to see you tomorrow mikev....or save you one failing that)

Time for a hot shower after the miserable rain late this afternoon! (i'm promised sun tomorrw tho)

Bon

I wish I had read this earlier, I would have had one while I was talking to you, Dhutch was there at the time

But what did you think of the Leopard skin painted boat?

Tim

Some poor bugger who knows nowt about boating will probably buy it, the hand rails will catch the trees, the swan neck will fall off the rudder stock and the rubbing strakes will fall off when the screws fall out. Apart from that I thought it was fine, especially the staircase to climb on board with.

HERE HERE! and what were the allen headed screws for in the top strake, did anyone else notice them

To hold it on, it was only filler along the top, not weld.

Well done you, we were there but its nice to look back especially at the appealing food photo, we had just had a tray of the worlds worst expensive chips £6 for two trays and then we spotted the appealing food stand..... next year maybe!!! :lol:

if the bank will let you have a mortgage for them 201.gif

Edited by denboy

I want the Bantam Tug :lol: .

I'm going to learn to sleep with my knees under my chin. Sorted.

I'll keep it grey and call it NB Dumbo.

Anyone know who much it costs?

£25,000 according to the sign on the boat.

Tim

Well done you, we were there but its nice to look back especially at the appealing food photo, we had just had a tray of the worlds worst expensive chips £6 for two trays and then we spotted the appealing food stand..... next year maybe!!! :lol:

If you think that was expensive you obviously didn't try buying wine in the bar - £4.50 a glass!! (actually a plastic tumbler). People were bringing their own bottles to the ents tent once they had been ripped off once - The real ale was a not unreasonable £3 - well by London standards anyway.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis