10 mm copper tube

Lee J

Featured Posts

The Alde bubble tester comes in 8mm or 10mm, BS EN 1057 tube comes in 10mm, I would love to pipe my boat in 10mm, but I am struggling to find compression fittings and bulkhead fittings in 10mm, can anybody help please.

Lee

The Alde bubble tester comes in 8mm or 10mm, BS EN 1057 tube comes in 10mm, I would love to pipe my boat in 10mm, but I am struggling to find compression fittings and bulkhead fittings in 10mm, can anybody help please.

Lee

bes.co.uk

I've used them and been very happy.

MP.

Lee

From what I can recall, 10mm tube has a wall thickness of 0.7 mm, whereas BS EN ISO 10239 requires a minimum wall thickness of 0.8 mm. 3/8" 20 SWG has a wall thickness of 0.9 mm and is therefore OK (but a smaller bore, hence more pressure drop!).

I think that the Calor shop sells bubble tetsers with imperial compression fittings.

Chris G

From what I can recall, 10mm tube has a wall thickness of 0.7 mm, whereas BS EN ISO 10239 requires a minimum wall thickness of 0.8 mm. 3/8" 20 SWG has a wall thickness of 0.9 mm and is therefore OK (but a smaller bore, hence more pressure drop!).

I think that the Calor shop sells bubble tetsers with imperial compression fittings.

Chris G

ASAP do one with 10mm fittings

Hi - the inland boating world is still very much using imperial pipe and fittings. Any good boat chandler will have imperial pipe and fittings in stock. Most metric pipe I see on boats has come from building suppliers and is meant for central hesting systems. Central heating pipe does not comply with gas regulations and is therefore not suitable.

You should have your gas sytem and bubble tester fitted by a CORGI registered installer.

Regards Chris

Hi - the inland boating world is still very much using imperial pipe and fittings. Any good boat chandler will have imperial pipe and fittings in stock. Most metric pipe I see on boats has come from building suppliers and is meant for central hesting systems. Central heating pipe does not comply with gas regulations and is therefore not suitable.

You should have your gas sytem and bubble tester fitted by a CORGI registered installer.

Regards Chris

Dunno if it may help, but i do all my gas and diesel in ss, it is far cheaper than copper tube, where a tube passes through a B/H you can weld in a ss scket or nipple, if you can weld that is, you can use flares, which will save a packet over compression type fittings, although in say Qld ss is not even past the gas regs, although the ss tube may have a burst of many times that of copper Probably conforms in UK, also it runs nicer, keeps straight, Tube benders for 3/8 and 1/2 are cheap

Someone said pipe, well tube is always measured on O.D pipe on nominal bore i spose you can run steel pipe if you want, galvanised comes from 1/4( which actaully is about 13mm or 1/2 OD to 6 inch, and is used on all gas lines ashore

good luck

Dunno if it may help, but i do all my gas and diesel in ss, it is far cheaper than copper tube, where a tube passes through a B/H you can weld in a ss scket or nipple, if you can weld that is, you can use flares, which will save a packet over compression type fittings, although in say Qld ss is not even past the gas regs, although the ss tube may have a burst of many times that of copper Probably conforms in UK, also it runs nicer, keeps straight, Tube benders for 3/8 and 1/2 are cheap

Someone said pipe, well tube is always measured on O.D pipe on nominal bore i spose you can run steel pipe if you want, galvanised comes from 1/4( which actaully is about 13mm or 1/2 OD to 6 inch, and is used on all gas lines ashore

good luck

Steel pipe is a no no for gas on boats in the UK, I'm not up to date with the regs but it used to be a choice between copper, copper or copper. With copper olives.

Tim

Lee

Hi Lee

There is a company in Chesterfield called Industrial Ancilleries ( I think ) that do EVERY fitting ever made.

You will get them there - if they exist.

Alex (Coal Aston)

Lee

Although people do do their LPG plumbing in imperial pipe, it is my understanding that strictly you should not.

I believe there are standards for wall thickness, and imperial pipe conforms to this, but most metric pipe has a thinner wall.

The easiest thing is actually to stick entirely to imperial, you know the BSS man will be happy, and it's generally easier to get the bits. (I used BES when refitting, as they have an extensive range and are quite cheap).

The answer to the Alde bubble tester is easy. Southampton Calor, (trading on line as Calormarinestore), sell Alde tester that have been modified to have fittings for imperial rather than metric pipe. They are a few quid more expensive than the metric version, but it saves buggering around with two different standards. I don't think they go bigger than a 3/8" pipe, though.

I believe there are standards for wall thickness, and imperial pipe conforms to this, but most metric pipe has a thinner wall.

This link http://www.ukcopperboard.co.uk/literature/...N-Standards.pdf gives the standard dimensions for copper tube, and in boaty diameters, greater wall thicknesses are shown as Recommended sizes - it just seems difficult to actually buy the stuff in sensible quantities!

Also, Table 1 is interesting - I hadn't realised that the way of specifying tees is changing - recipe for great confusion.

Chris G

It says it is ok in the bss

ISO 10239 states: Only solid drawn copper piping or drawn stainless steel piping, which are galvanically compatible, shall be

used for rigid supply lines. The minimum wall thickness for piping of outside diameter equal to or less than 12 mm

shall be 0,8 mm and 1,5 mm for piping of outside diameter greater than 12 mm.

Regards Chris

Not strictly true, it does not comply with the boat regulations, but is perfectly acceptable in domestic house pipework.

Dave

where does that requirement derive from?

due diligence suggests that it should be installed by a competent person. That is all.

Agreed, we had an old 3 way fridge that the bss examiner was not happy with because of an extended flue, basically told us he would not issue the certificate and advised us to go with electric, we went 12v and are happy.

Anyway this meant pulling out gas pipes, re-routing and capping off, i asked him if he knew someone who could do this, his reply was "if i was confident to do it" then he was happy as he would be checking it anyway for leaks, i did the work, it did not leak, he was happy with the installation and issued a certificate.

Anyway this meant pulling out gas pipes, re-routing and capping off, i asked him if he knew someone who could do this, his reply was "if i was confident to do it" then he was happy as he would be checking it anyway for leaks, i did the work, it did not leak, he was happy with the installation and issued a certificate.

Interesting, the difference between confident and competent... I have worked with many very confident engineers over the years, but as for the competence of some of them, the less said the better!

No aspersions being cast about here.

Chris G

Interesting, the difference between confident and competent... I have worked with many very confident engineers over the years, but as for the competence of some of them, the less said the better!

Chris G

Totally agree with the wording/meaning of the words used, when a friend did his apprenticeship (16 yr old) as a plumber he was only ever allowed to fit and solder the gas side of the installation, the reason being that they could easily find the leak if he had messed up on the gas side where as on the water side if he screwed that up the leak could go on for a while.

Chris G

'spect wonderdust misheard the 'spector ... he akshully said 'competent' (or at least I hope he did).

Chris G

The BSS does not mention BS EN ISO 10239, it only mentions BS EN 1057, which 10mm conforms to.

The reason for buying 10mm is that it is about half the price of imperial sizes from your local friendly diy shed.

Lee

QUOTE (Timleech @ Jan 13 2009, 09:29 PM) *

Steel pipe is a no no for gas on boats in the UK, I'm not up to date with the regs but it used to be a choice between copper, copper or copper. With copper olives.

Tim

It says it is ok in the bss

The BSS says:-

"LPG pipework must be made of either seamless copper tube, or

stainless steel tube, or copper nickel alloy."

That doesn't include steel pipe.

Tim