Diesel Boats Could Sail Through Standedge Tunnel

Robbo

Featured Posts

CANAL boaters could soon be chugging through Standedge Tunnel using their own power if a key British Waterways decision goes their way.

Diesel narrow boats have always been barred from navigating the 3 ¼ mile-long tunnel between Marsden and Diggle, the highest, longest and deepest in the country, for fears passengers could be overcome by engine fumes or have an accident.

Instead boats are towed through by canal workers using electric-powered tugs, which only operate on Wednesdays and Fridays.

But Huddersfield Canal Society spokesman, Keith Noble, said talks were underway to try and get the ban lifted.

He said: “The problem is people who go boating enjoy the freedom of the canals and anything interfering with that is a bit of an impediment.

“One would like to turn up and just go, At least if one can go through on one’s own it would be an improvement.

“It was thought at one time with diesel boats the quality of the air would be too poor but they did some tests and found it wasn’t a problem.

“We want to see as many people on the canal as possible, an awful lot has been put into restoring it and the current system is putting people off.”

Steve Hemming, leisure business manager for British Waterways Yorkshire, confirmed they were looking into a better way of taking boats through the tunnel.

He said:“ Standedge is unique and its construction presents some unusual challenges.

“We are currently going through a tender process with contractors to assess whether a change to tunnel operations is cost effective and meets our strict safety controls.

“The main focus of this work has been to carry out trial passages with diesel- engined boats and to test the level of noxious gas emissions in the tunnel.

“The evidence to date suggests that we are well within Health and Safety Executive limits for “safe working” and we now have gas monitors fixed throughout the tunnel for long-term hazardous gas emissions monitoring.

“We’ve also been assessing how improvements can be made to tunnel communications as well as working with the emergency services to look at how we can improve tunnel safety and tackle some of the hazardous pinch points that can damage boats.

“If the project proves justifiable, subject to funding, the intention will be for British Waterways to introduce a ‘chaperoned’ service.

“The new system would allow boat owners to travel with their boats under their own power with British Waterways staff acting as chaperones.

“We are also planning to introduce a through-trip for hikers so that they can travel all the way through the tunnel and see this unique and fascinating example of our industrial heritage.

“These are planned for the first Saturday of every month during the summer season.”

Linky

That is a quite extraordinary article for the Huddersfield Examiner to publish!

For a start, talks are not "under way" and BW is not "looking into a better way of taking boats through the tunnel". That has all happened (over the last couple of years) and BW announced their plans for the new style of tunnel operation for 2009 last October. Some of you may recall reading it here.

It sounds to me as if one of their reporters found some old notes and didn't notice that he was reporting very old news!

Cygnet was driven through Standedge under her own diesel by Fred Carter in September, while I stood inside the front winceing at the crunches. On my first trip through, I thought I woudn't like to drive through myself, but now I feel a bit more confident. Anything better than the Rochdale (head below parapet).

Mac

If BW insist on this silly scheme of having their staff driving all the boats through the tunnel it is likely to backfire

on them quite badly.. What owner is going to allow a young chap with achene on his face to take charge of his boat,

I certainly would not, even if he was wearing a BW uniform.. If he prangs it on the way through who will pick up the

tab for a repaint.

If BW insist on this silly scheme of having their staff driving all the boats through the tunnel it is likely to backfire

on them quite badly.. What owner is going to allow a young chap with achene on his face to take charge of his boat,

I certainly would not, even if he was wearing a BW uniform.. If he prangs it on the way through who will pick up the

tab for a repaint.

Reading Martin Clark's article it appears that BW will be there for advice & guidance only, leaving the boat steerer as the responsible person and if the BW people do steer then it is with consent. I would imagine that you will have to sign a disclaimer beforehand and the only way you could then try and get recompense if BW employee did damage the paint would be if it was due to negligence perhaps. Is it still better going through under own power than being hauledbehind the tug in a chain of boats using the tunnel sides to steer in places. I may be tempted to try it this year.

Edited by PeterF

tab for a repaint.

well bw lads take full charge of your boat if it is towed through.

if anyone is determined not to have a scratch on the paintwork then dont do the standedge tunnel , last towed convey i was part of the whole lot came to a sudden and very noisy stop when one of the boats snagged on the wall.

given the choice i would sooner they towed me through than steer it myself.

the tunnel rats are a good crowd especially the lady who is on the tug speaking to the boaters.

well bw lads take full charge of your boat if it is towed through.

if anyone is determined not to have a scratch on the paintwork then dont do the standedge tunnel , last towed convey i was part of the whole lot came to a sudden and very noisy stop when one of the boats snagged on the wall.

given the choice i would sooner they towed me through than steer it myself.

the tunnel rats are a good crowd especially the lady who is on the tug speaking to the boaters.

Compared to 2007, when I was towed through twice, the care taken of the towed boats was much less in September 2008- fewer rubber sheets over the top, and no BW man on each boat to fend off the walls. I also had to agree to an extra disclaimer in case of damaged caused. (this was before it was decided to use Cygnet as one of the 'pioneer' boats to be driven through). I believe the aim this year is to allow the boat skipper to steer, with a BW man on board to offer guidance. This is much preferable to having BW staff steering a series of boats through which they haven't handled before.

Eventually, if all goes well, I understand that independent passage will be possible, but with quite a hefty deposit to cover the loan of extra protection and lights.

I hope it all works out - it's by far my best option for going south, especially if the Trent is in flood.

Mac

I was surprised, too, at what seemed a lack of 'sheeting' put over the boats compared to what I'd seen in photos. Whilst he wouldn't be 'quoted' on it, the fellow from BW I was chatting to after the trip through hinted that they'd caused more problems getting snagged and caught than they'd lessened by reducing chipped paintwork.

I was 'tail end Charlie' when I through - and I learnt to listen to the 'suggestions' from BW about taking off navigation lamps. £20 quid to replace the glass (plastic?) was a bit of shock! :lol: Next time I go through, they're coming off!

tab for a repaint.

John, have you not seen the details that BW have released about this, which I quote on the page I linked to above?

In particular, BW says:

"Competent BW staff to accompany boat owners through tunnel on their craft. BW staff to act as 'chaperones' and advise boaters on navigating the tunnel. BW staff may be prepared to steer through difficult points, under the consent of the boat owner."

The implication of that is that if you want to steer your own boat the whole way through, then you will be able to.

Edited by MartinClark

Is there going to be an emissions test? If the tests were conducted with modern engined boats, I rather suspect that the effects of the air cooled lister brigade may come as a little of a supprise...

I'm going to try and do it at some point under my own power if possible.

• 3 weeks later...
Is there going to be an emissions test? If the tests were conducted with modern engined boats, I rather suspect that the effects of the air cooled lister brigade may come as a little of a supprise...

I'm going to try and do it at some point under my own power if possible.

The emissions from a cream-crackered SR3 will be insignificant when compared to those of a 3000hp Mirrlees in the adjacent ( and connected) railway tunnel on full chat with a loaded "Binliner"

Bill