Butane copper pipe sizing

CRAGGY

Featured Posts

Kw/hr is also an interesting concept...(as well as the use of upper and lower case)

Chris G

Yes, I missed that one.

And batteries are often rated in A/H or Amps per hour !!

Marvellous how the pseudo-technical members of the community can play around with units and they seem to understand each other, whilst I am left totally befuddled. Maybe it is age related? (the issue, not my befuddlement :lol: ) . In the sense that my generation had a classical scientific education, whilst the 'new maths' (and 'new physics' presumably) doesn't feel the need to define things properly? :lol::lol:

In practice I'm sure that you will find that 3/8" or 10mm tubing is fine for a 6metre run for a simple appliance like a hob/grill but, as pointed out by Mike, we don't know your KW rating.

Edited by ChrisPy

Cubic feet a minute as in the measure of the volume of gas that can travel along 12 inches of pipe in a minute. Well thats how I understand it.

what has 12 inches of pipe got to do with it?

and 5.5 cubic feet of gas in a minute is a serious amount of flow, that would need a large differential presuure, more than the few millibars we are dealing with here.

just goes to prove that if correct units are not used, it leads to serious misunderstandings.

and 5.5 cubic feet of gas in a minute is a serious amount of flow, that would need a large differential presuure, more than the few millibars we are dealing with here.

just goes to prove that if correct units are not used, it leads to serious misunderstandings.

It is 15 times the recommended offtake flowrate from a 13 kg propane cylinder!

Chris G

I take your point ignore that bit!

Like you say above using diffrent units does create misunderstandings.

Hi,i,m going to run a butane gas supply to a gas stove in my boatmans cabin,the run is about 6m.Can anyone tell me the correct pipe size for this?

Craggy

Is 'butane' a typo, or are you really going to use butane?

It wouldn't have worked in the weather conditions of last week as it wouldn't have been warm enough to vapourise.

Go for propane

There is a further issue about sizing the pipework (which I am attempting to do for Batavia on a proper pipe sizing basis).

BS EN ISO 10239 states that "The volume of pipework should be minimized by using the smallest pipe sizes consistent with the pressure-drop

requirement".

The problem I am encountering is that for the various gas appliances I have, none of the manufacturers specifies a minimum gas pressure (just the nominal 37 mbar) - so what would an acceptable desgn pressure drop be? A 5% pressure drop, which would roughly equate to a 2.5% drop in flowrate (and hence heat output), which would not seem unreasonable.

In previous fit-outs, I have used either 3/8" or 1/2" and eveything has always worked, with about 35 mbar at the inlet to the appliances.

Chris G

PS The Calor table contains at least one error - the 60 foot figure for 5/16" is lower than that for 1/4"!

Slight concern here, if you don't know the pipe size should you be fitting it in the first place? but there again if they spend thousands training corgis to do it maybe its ok.

'

'THEY' spend nothing on training corgis. We have to pay for our own training! And soon we won't be corgis either - we'll be 'Gas Safe Registered AKA GSR (gun-shot residue for CSI watchers) :lol:

Hi - calor gas web site gives some good pointers, www.calor.co.uk but does not I think mention pipe sizing. Pipe sizing is a calculation between pipe work run and the KW rating of the appliance. With each bend or joint adding extra length to the total. You should probably get someone qualified in to do the job or at least get them along to inform you on how best to do it. Regards Chris

Hi - calor gas web site gives some good pointers, www.calor.co.uk but does not I think mention pipe sizing. Pipe sizing is a calculation between pipe work run and the KW rating of the appliance. With each bend or joint adding extra length to the total. You should probably get someone qualified in to do the job or at least get them along to inform you on how best to do it. Regards Chris

Hi,i,m an old jobbing plumber,i think i should be ok with a few compression joints and the right bits and info,regards

Hi,i,m going to run a butane gas supply to a gas stove in my boatmans cabin,the run is about 6m.Can anyone tell me the correct pipe size for this?

Craggy

Why butane? YOu will find that it does not boil off at temperatures below 0degC. Propane is the usual.

Nick

Hi,i,m only asking for helpfull imformation here,what is this about trolls.If i,ve used the wrong term for the gas,ta for the help,but i am used to running leak free copper pipework,regards Malcolm

refer your post no.18. ..... it is hardly encouraging.

you did ask for information which should be available to a competent gas installer, but later you suggest you are actually competent to do a gas installation.

something wrong somewhere :lol: