HOW MUCH???

Athy

Featured Posts

The quality of NCD hulls speaks volumes for the company, if the owner then decides to fit out to the extreme then its their choice. At least the boat looks good. At leat their boat doesnt look like a second hand greyhound yankee bus top glued to a hull designed by martians...... :lol:

Ah but just imagine the reaction of the crowd when you turn up at the Braunston boat parade sitting on the leather roof recliner with a big cigar in your mouth, flute of champagne in your hand and bikini clad model waving to the onlookers.

Ah but just imagine the reaction of the crowd when you turn up at the Braunston boat parade sitting on the leather roof recliner with a big cigar in your mouth, flute of champagne in your hand and bikini clad model waving to the onlookers.

Yes but imagine the reaction when you show up sitting in the drivers seat of an old floating greyhound bus with a bottle of Jameson in your hand and 40 bikini clad models waving from the windows.

It would also have CHARACTER, something money can't buy.

I don't like any of the interiors of these boats they put in the mags - they look so souless.

I think that narrowboat interiors fall generally into two camps - pub or caravan. Ours is definately a pub. Whitefield is in a new category - Wine Bar.

Hi all

It's all my fault! Les and Jill came on a painting weekend with me and were discussing a proposed new build for themselves. I suggested Graham as the shell builder (he's a mate, OK) and they took it form there. I didn't know just how high spec the fit would be, but as someone in regular contact with the project I can say, hand on heart, that it was way above most fit outs and took one hell of a long time. Therein lies the above average overall cost, no profiteering by any of those involved. So far as I know no one has a new Ferrari on their drive!!!

Cheers

Dave

You will have to excuse me as I have been on the pop tonight, but the way I see it...

You buy a clonecraft which, although a brand new hull and fitout, has been selected from a couple of "standard" options...

Or, you go to a "one off" builder, you choose what you want, tell the builder, and they'll build it and fit it out for you...

Am I missing something? :lol:

I don't like any of the interiors of these boats they put in the mags - they look so souless.

I think that narrowboat interiors fall generally into two camps - pub or caravan. Ours is definately a pub. Whitefield is in a new category - Wine Bar.

Oh but lovey surely you mean Cocktail lounge! :lol:

Exactly. Some good friends of ours have a Hawkins boat with the modern style of all-wood fit-out, but they've defused it with lots of tasteful photographs. Caxton in next month's mag has also gone for the different approach, and I rather like it.

The new edition of Canal Boat mag arrived yesterday, including a feature on a narrowboat called Fenchurch. Now this boat's a beauty: 60 foot, Norton Canes shell (I am told that they are the Rolls-Royce of shells, except that they are still British-owned), handsome joinery and plenty of it, lots of extras such as a generator, proper engine, good quality paint job. But before you dash off to place your order with Mr. Edgson, look at the price.

£179,000.

That works out at £3,000 per foot, give or take a few pence. Even for a luxurious craft, this is jaw-droppingly steep. Is it a record? Has anyone spotted a dearer boat for sale? Less likely, does anyone out there own a boat which cost more per foot to build?

Is someone trying it on? ;-)

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=95854

for 29k less, you could get a nice Delta barge :-)

http://www.homes24.co.uk/doc.html?_a=view&id=513466

It would also have CHARACTER, something money can't buy.

Take a Nurser hull and ask Brinklow boats (other top drawer restoration bods are available) to restore it, bottoms to top plank, with a Rex Wain back cabin and under-tarp conversion.

Ask Phil Speight (other top drawer painters are available) to give the best paint job money can buy and have a completely refurbished vintage engine put in the 'ole.

A boat with character that money (lots of) just bought.

Is someone trying it on? ;-)

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=95854

for 29k less, you could get a nice Delta barge :-)

http://www.homes24.co.uk/doc.html?_a=view&id=513466

I think these are this price because of the moorings they are on. Without the moorings I doubt you'd get anything like that sort of money.

To which specific boat do you refer, Carl? Is she yours?

Seems a waste to employ a painter just to paint the top drawer, couldn't he have done a few more bits whilst he was there?

No, mine's gone, now. No specific boat, in fact I think there are not many Nursers that will be available, for the forseeable future, apart from Ian and Hazel.

I suppose you could put the middle back in Malta and I'd still like to have a go with Victoria.

If you can only afford a bit of decoration at a time, though, the ticket drawer's as good a place to start, as any.

They seem to overuse the white versions of wood to me, some of them look like pieces of driftwood from a beach. :lol:

Just can't help thinking they look like the budget option from the undertakers brochure.......

I've got Canal Boat and seen Fenchurch. I'll have the shell , the engine and most of the the electrics. But I'd like a proper galley with gas (the Lady likes to cook and bake!). I'd chuck the bed and get a narrow double. I'd ditch the ash coffin interior and make it into more of a pub/junkshop like my own boat.

Edited by Lady Muck

:lol: Hi

What u all seem to fail to understand is the mere word BOAT means Bring Out Another Thousand

Thats why all of em r dear for what they r

What I cannot beleive is that some r built of a tinfoil spec of 10/6/4 lets hope messrs Caines use thicker stuff than that !!!

I do not believe new narrowboat prices generally carry large profit margins. Having fitted out two shells, I am painfully aware of the combined total cost of all the thousands of constituent components required.

By way of example, Grace is a 70' josher replica. The shell was fabricated by Roger Fuller (on a par with Graham Edgson). The engine is a Kelvin K2 restored by Seaward Engineering. The fitout including engine installation was carried out entirely by me apart from decoration and signwriting (for which I can thank Dave Moore). The fitout forward of the engine room is solid oak. She is well spec'd with equipment but nothing exceptional (no bow thruster).

Although I deliberately did not keep a running total of the costs, I estimate she has cost me in the region of £80k. This figure does not include any premises overheads or labour cost for my time which I estimate equates to approx. 12-18 months full time. So for me it is easy to see how current professional prices are reasonable.

(P.S. Piccies and description of Grace in last Novembers WW)

:lol: Hi

What I cannot beleive is that some r built of a tinfoil spec of 10/6/4 lets hope messrs Caines use thicker stuff than that !!!

I'm puzzled by your comments on steel thicknesses. Are you suggesting an issue with 10/6/4 construction? If so what is it?

Edited by robkg

I'm puzzled by your comments on steel thicknesses. Are you suggesting an issue with 10/6/4 construction? If so what is it?

I agree with robkg there are many hundreds of boats built to that spec. Some use a thicker base plate, but 6mm is perfectly adequate, indeed I would say standard thickness for a hull and 4mm for a cabin is ideal. Thicker base plates can introduce issues with welding different thicknesses of steel together and maintining the inegrity of the weld.

BTW I would also agree on costs of fitting out a boat from scratch, I did, including marinising an old engine out of transit van before fitting out the whole thing. This way I was able to manipulate the cost x time equation to suit myself and I also consequently knew every inch of the boat.

However, I don't think it was substantially cheaper (if at all) that buying a finshed boat.

Tony.

Edited by tony collins

WHITEFIELD---00119.jpg

Should have had radar fitted by the looks of it. Or had it calibrated if they're using it.

I look at this and think of the Harry Enfield character who used to stand next to people in hotel bars and say in a fab Brummie accent

'I can't help noticing that we are considerably richer that you are'

The one thing that utterly bemused me was the joystick controls - why????

I look at this and think of the Harry Enfield character who used to stand next to people in hotel bars and say in a fab Brummie accent

'I can't help noticing that we are considerably richer that you are'

The one thing that utterly bemused me was the joystick controls - why????

"Joystick" steering is apparently the big thing to hit sea faring boats this year. Dont personally see the point on a narrowboat but the bigger sea farers seem to be including it in their standard spec nowadays.

Have had a quick go with one and didnt like it. Found it easier to manouvre using the engines.

And how long will that fancy cratch cover last in a tunnel?

Rumour has it that the combination of Joystick controls and fear of damaging it meant that the trip through Crick Tunnel after the show last year resulted in some expensive damage to the cratch on Whitfield

:lol::lol::lol::lol:;);)