lace making

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

Now the big freeze is here and we are all stuck indoors, literally, it is time to do indoor things. I would like to make the lace edging often seen in the windows of narrow boats, or have a go at the port hole spiderweb designs I have seen. Does anyone know where I can find out how to make it?

Now the big freeze is here and we are all stuck indoors, literally, it is time to do indoor things. I would like to make the lace edging often seen in the windows of narrow boats, or have a go at the port hole spiderweb designs I have seen. Does anyone know where I can find out how to make it?

My Ma has made lace for the past couple of decades or so, I'll ask her how she got started if you like. She used to attend some sort of social/evening class kind of thing on a regular basis. If she's still in touch, I'll get some contacts. PM me if I forget, I'm seeing her this weekend.

Info from Mrs Densie - what you normally see on narrowboat windows is crocheted lace. If you have not done any crochet work before I suggest that you have a look at this website. There is a booklet called "Cabin Crochet of the Inland Waterways" by Janet M. Reeve, which has patterns for lace edging (seems to be available on amazon). What I used for my porthole design was not a spiders web, but was just a round "doily" pattern that I had. I did a search on the web and there are a few books listed here.

Hope this enough to get you started.

Info from Mrs Densie - what you normally see on narrowboat windows is crocheted lace. If you have not done any crochet work before I suggest that you have a look at this website. There is a booklet called "Cabin Crochet of the Inland Waterways" by Janet M. Reeve, which has patterns for lace edging (seems to be available on amazon). What I used for my porthole design was not a spiders web, but was just a round "doily" pattern that I had. I did a search on the web and there are a few books listed here.

Hope this enough to get you started.

That looks fab - I am off to buy crochet hook and yarn now! Thank you.