Why oh why oh why ?

onionbargee

Featured Posts

Just taken delivery of our new boat, 50mm bottom, and 20mm sides, not without problems though, we caught the builder tying to put red hot bolt type things in the hull, when we specified rivets, even i know rivets are welded on the outside, then they ran out of chandlry, they said it was already sinking under the weight! the brass they used on the outside fittings went dull after a couple of days, they tried to convince me i had to polish it ! Then they tried to slap horrible cheap black bitumen paint on the hull, i told them i want it scumbled all over thank you.

They tried to give us ordinary rope, we had to go and find proper 'marine rope' which is 7 times the price. Then when we get it moored at the end of our garden, we find a horrible dirty tide mark all round the boat, of course we complained to BW, and they said they could'nt filter the water, ha, it's a ruddy shambles.

it doesn't help when you specify reconditioned railway sleepers for decking timbers.

never mind, if it is really too heavy you can have a lightwieght plywood cabin epoxy sheathed and disguise it with a nice company name.

Onion's Transportation of Cerilly-sur-Saone would do.

:rolleyes::wacko:

we caught the builder tying to put red hot bolt type things in the hull, when we specified rivets, even i know rivets are welded on the outside

24448[/snapback]

Hmm am I being silly or were the boat builders putting in proper rivets?

with boat builders churning out 90 ish new boats a month and no where to more em, I think we should confiscate there welding kits and give em riveting guns, in fact no, thats to easy, how about a hammer, dolly and reaction block, then they will have to pre heat the rivets before hand.... he he.. get some quality shells then.

:rolleyes: It has always amazed me that if you weld a cill on a car, thats fine, if you rivet it, it will fail an Mot, what an earth keeps them things above ya head flying???? :wacko:

Yesterday the Forestry Commission said it was going to get rid of all those b****dy awful pine forests and plant British trees Oaks etc.

Now I know this is going to be revolutionary and all that but how about making boats from wood, never mind riveted iron.

(yes it is my attempt at humour in the vien of this thread)

David

Yesterday the Forestry Commission said it was going to get rid of all those b****dy awful pine forests and plant British trees Oaks etc.

Now I know this is going to be revolutionary and all that but how about making boats from wood, never mind riveted iron.

(yes it is my attempt at humour in the vien of this thread)

David

24630[/snapback]

nice thought, but i just think that wooden catch on :rolleyes:

How would you fancy a fibre glass narrowboat?

Lot less hassle then all that welding! :rolleyes:

24619[/snapback]

Can it have rivets and would they have to be heated to get a good fit,Whistle.gif

24632[/snapback]

No problem! Take hull and superstructure molds from a real working boat, make the hull an inch thick (in black), add suitable reinforcing. All the rivets will appear as if by magic (also, the right number in the right places) and it will outlast all those iron & steel hulls. So long as you can produce several hundred hulls from the molds you may have a viable product. Think of the savings on rivets alone!

Just imagine, you could even mold in the roses & castles and sign writing in relief, the scumbling would have real texture! I could go on, the possibilities are endless!

When osmosis eventually sets in you can hide it with bitumen blacking!

Alan

How would you fancy a fibre glass narrowboat?

Lot less hassle then all that welding! :rolleyes:

24619[/snapback]

Already been done, Gary, the things looked like a giant tupperware box, have'nt seen one for ages, they're probably hiding in shame somewere.

Ferrocement, now your talking.

Oh how I sympatise with your predicament. Following the installation of our new 10 Megawatt invertor, we found that after only a week of running the Washing machine, Dishwasher, Immersion Heater,Welder. We had to run the Engine for 23.9 Hours a day!!! We complained to the boatbuilder but once they have your money they seem to lose intrest. :rolleyes: