Moving through ice

Ernie

Featured Posts

I am going to be a bit controversial here, unusual for me but,,,,

I have seen a number of posts recently about boaters being unhappy about other boats moving through ice and possibly damaging moored boater precious blacking. I have also received ‘the evil eye’ from several boats that I have passed in recent days.

Well, I pay my license fee to use the canals 365 days a year. If I want to move through ice I will. If others don’t like having boats move past their precious blacking in the ice, can I suggest that they put their boats somewhere safe during the winter months when ice is likely to occur.

I am far from being alone in wanting to travel through ice, take a look at nb Hadar’s blog Hadar as just one example of others that like to use their boats regardless of the weather.

Flak jacket and hard hat now on!!

I have seen a number of posts recently about boaters being unhappy about other boats moving through ice and possibly damaging moored boater precious blacking. I have also received ‘the evil eye’ from several boats that I have passed in recent days.

Well, I pay my license fee to use the canals 365 days a year. If I want to move through ice I will. If others don’t like having boats move past their precious blacking in the ice, can I suggest that they put their boats somewhere safe during the winter months when ice is likely to occur.

I am far from being alone in wanting to travel through ice, take a look at nb Hadar’s blog Hadar as just one example of others that like to use their boats regardless of the weather.

I started out on Saturday morning bound for Oxford. The ice wasn't that thick, but I got two negative verbal comments. One telling me that I'd be in dry-dock getting my hull repaired as the ice would cut through it (remember the Titanic was the comment). Another saying that I was damaging all of the moored boats along the way and that I was being inconsiderate and they had noted my boat name in case they found subsequent damage!

I agree with you. If their blacking is so fragile that it is damaged by a passing boat in ice, its probably time it was re-done anyway.

I was very carefully when I went past an air-fix kit, but they are a lot stronger (and flexible) than many people think.

In days gone by it wasn't a problem. Thats what the ice breakers were for!

Cruise when you want to I say. If you want to molly coddle your boat, put it in a marina away from the main line.

Cruise when you want to I say. If you want to molly coddle your boat, put it in a marina away from the main line.

Absolutely. See my post in the 'ice' thread.

Trouble is, with so many online moorings (and a lot of mild winters) there are bound to be people with unsuitable boats on online moorings who have never thought about the issue and who will get upset about it.

I've known online moorers call out the police to try to stop boaters in the ice, all they did was hang around to make sure there was no violence.

Tim

GRP hulls and wooden hulls are fragile and more prone to damage from the ice.

It is the owner's responsibility to protect their hull from other folk legitimately going about their boaty business.

It is no hardship to drop a few ice planks and ask approaching boaters to pass as close as is safely possible.

Edited by carlt

Had a hire boat moor in front of me at the week end. 8.00am engine fires up and 30mins later manages to smash enough ice to get into the central channel and proceed on lots of revs and much crashing of ice. Thought this should make good watching so drag charlie the schnauzer out of his pit and take him for a walk and rapidly catch up and pass the boat. Approx 200 yards ahead of the boat the ice was making cracking noises and most of the ice had been fragment before the bow actually hit the ice. The boat passed 2 large GRPs without incident and there were no large sheets of ice to be seen after his passage through so are these stories of GRP damage just rare as opposed to being a regular occurences?

Ernie

Totally agree with your comments, fair weather boaters should stay in marinas :lol:

I completely agree with you Ernie. I was moaned at some years ago when we broke ice on the Northern Stratford. At that time, like you are now, I was cruising the system long term. We had been frozen in for several days and needed both food supplies and a launderette. I asked the moaner if he was prepared to take our washing and our shopping list and sort out the problem, in which case I would happily tie up and wait for the thaw. A strange huffing and puffing sound was the only response.

For those who are concerned about their blacking, it is not difficult to hang planks off the side of the boat. It involves some effort, but then so does winterising a boat.

Hi all

Just to support the original post. I've broken ice on many occasions tho' have yet to encounter any flak from moored boaters. I can't see any real risk to steel hulled boats from breaking ice, nor to their precious blacking, but we live in more timid times boating wise than in the 60s when I started. I'll stop now, I feel a grumpy rant coming on!!

A final aside...I've just been to the boat, frozen in on the Waterfront near Dudley, and noticed a heron sat forlornly on the ice. He was there yesterday too. Any suggestions for artificial food? Frozen fish???

Seriously..suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Dave

I like to see the boats coming through, the sound is amazing! However, the only complaint I had was one hire boat who was going much too fast, and the ice was not thickk enough to warrant the speed. More so because the poor ducks were having to dart out of the way, but that is probably more inexperience than anything.

Otherwise I don't see the big problem. The ducks appreciate someone giving them a water hole anyway!

Hi all

Just to support the original post. I've broken ice on many occasions tho' have yet to encounter any flak from moored boaters. I can't see any real risk to steel hulled boats from breaking ice, nor to their precious blacking, but we live in more timid times boating wise than in the 60s when I started. I'll stop now, I feel a grumpy rant coming on!!

A final aside...I've just been to the boat, frozen in on the Waterfront near Dudley, and noticed a heron sat forlornly on the ice. He was there yesterday too. Any suggestions for artificial food? Frozen fish???

Seriously..suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Dave

I should think the poor thing will be pretty hungry. You could try smashing up the ice with a boat pole or something. Or if it's really tearing at your heartstrings then see if you can buy some cheap fish.

I too have received the “evil eye” for being too noisy, too smoky, too big and having the temerity, to share a lock with a shiny new boat, but never, so far, for travelling through the ice.

Since today is the Feast of Epiphany, we should follow the practice of the Greek Orthodox Church for avoiding the evil eye directed at boats. A local bishop throws a cross into the freezing waters and all the local lads dive for it.

Happy new year, everyone

Edited by koukouvagia

Yes but isn't that normally done in the crystal blue waters of the Aegean ?

Freezing has a different meaning there - they might need to don a "shorty" wetsuit.

Can I just paint the eye on my bow ?

Since today is the Feast of Epiphany, we should follow the practice of the Greek Orthodox Church for avoiding the evil eye directed at boats. A local bishop throws a cross into the freezing waters and all the local lads dive for it.

Happy new year, everyone

Our family's first boat was a small plywood cabin cruiser, (an ex BW "Water Baby" hire boat").

That was constructed of 1/2" marine ply over hardwood framing, and some of the ply had not been that well looked after.

Despite being slightly fearful of what broken ice might do to it, I can honestly say we found no evidence of damage at all. This was back in the very early 1970s, where I don't think people had a concept of a "boating season", (well at least not other than hire firms).

The one doubt I do have about ice breaking is stories of swans, ducks, geese, etc getting their legs sliced through. It has always sounded a bit fanciful to me, so I'm never sure if it's completely apocryphal or sometimes happens. Does anybody have reliable information, please ?

Carry on, I say, but try and be gentle past moorings.

If anybody needs to protect their boat more than that, they should probably hang ice planks, or seek out a marina.

Our family's first boat was a small plywood cabin cruiser, (an ex BW "Water Baby" hire boat").

That was constructed of 1/2" marine ply over hardwood framing, and some of the ply had not been that well looked after.

Despite being slightly fearful of what broken ice might do to it, I can honestly say we found no evidence of damage at all. This was back in the very early 1970s, where I don't think people had a concept of a "boating season", (well at least not other than hire firms).

The one doubt I do have about ice breaking is stories of swans, ducks, geese, etc getting their legs sliced through. It has always sounded a bit fanciful to me, so I'm never sure if it's completely apocryphal or sometimes happens. Does anybody have reliable information, please ?

Carry on, I say, but try and be gentle past moorings.

If anybody needs to protect their boat more than that, they should probably hang ice planks, or seek out a marina.

Being in a marina is no protection either im afraid. People still want to take their boats out.

Being in a marina is no protection either im afraid. People still want to take their boats out.

Agreed up to a point.

But many marinas have end on pontoon mooring, so the likely impact of any moved ice is going to just be limited to the bows or sterns of most boats.

Also I'll wager there are less boat movements per day in many marinas than in the waterways they are connected too. Actually that may not be true - when the live-aboards with pump outs start to fill up, they may well try smashing the ice down to the pump out point, I guess. (Another vote for cassette based loos!!).

Supporting Ernie, over the weekend we were all positively looking out for some brave soul to come along and be the first to break up the ice. The moorers around me were of the opinion that the first boat through had done them a favour.... Nobody mentioned damage to their blacking.

I'm totally in support with Ernie. If there's ice about and I want to go boating, and I reckon it's worth taking my own blacking off to do so, then that is what I'll do. I just don't believe it would damage the blacking of any moored boats that I may pass, and of course I'd take care if there's a GRP boat moored by passing slowly as close by as I could.

I once found a trio of swans swimming around a hole in the ice. It seemed as if their own efforts were keeping it clear, but they were unable to climb out of it. As I approached they were clearly unhappy, and I had visions of them being injured by the sliding sheets of ice; like Alan I don't know if it's a true risk or not. I steered directly towards them, which parted the ice to both sides leaving a clear passage to their little area (they were of course panicing somelightly at this point), then I backed off and altered course so as to pass them. They swam gratefully back up the path I had left, and were last seen making rapid progress back along the now-cleared centre of the canal.

I guess the same technique might work for passing GRP cruisers too.

I doubt if BW would accept ice as a valid reason for not continually cruising?

I guess the same technique might work for passing GRP cruisers too.

What "steer directly towards them, until they start panicing, then back off and alter course so as to pass them." :lol:

Sounds like fun!

What "steer directly towards them, until they start panicing, then back off and alter course so as to pass them." :lol:

Sounds like fun!

I love the look of panic on the faces of the occupants as they see 20 tons of steel heading directly for them!

Apart from the last couple of days we have constantly been on the move through the ice and only got a couple of grumpy looks but nothing verbal.

When I'm moored up in the the first thing I do in the morning is start the engine and run it in reverse and then forwards for a few minutes, this helps break up the ice around the hull and makes passage for other boats easier.

As far as the continuous moorers complaints about the navigation being used to navigate - they could always consider living in a caravan instead.

Edited by wotnot