Ice

Smelly

Featured Posts

As a matter of interest, how thick is the ice at various points where forum members are reporting from?

We got iced in at Berkhampstead one year, probably about 3 inches thick.

moored at aston near stone ice here has been 3inches thick even bw couldnt get there buttys through it on tuesday.

Went to Walsall yesterday and my local motorway was closed so had to use the A roads to get to the M6, on-route i passed the canal at Barbridge and it looked pretty solid in places. Walsall had loads of snow fall while i was there, didnt get chance to look at the canal that passes through Walsall though (what is the name of the canal round there??).

Coming home from chester this evening, the Shroppie is just slightly frozen by where Bargee Bill keeps his restaurant boat (right in the city centre). i love all of this adverse weather and i t is times like this that i wished even more than ever that i had my own boat, i love the crisp cold mornings and the feeling of complete isolation, each evening when i get home i love to get a large glass of wine and a cigarette (yeah i know its bad for me!) and go and stand in the garden and just enjoy the freezing cold air and the frost on the ground Magical!!!

having just changed my mortgage to a tracker i am hoping that the reduction in interest rates is good enough to drop my repayments each month that warrants buying a narrowboat with the savings...... fingers crossed

wish me luck

Nik

We have been iced in since Saturday with the frozen water point in view managed to break up the ice enough to pull the boat back and fill up this afternoon. Now not only do I have to wash up but joy of joy I can wash me !!! Been a lovely week though have met some wondefull people and have even planted the seed about the tracker mortgage boat with he who holds the purse strings it makes complete sense to me :lol:

Would that perchance be the last remaining bit of the Walsall Canal?

yes i think it would be, it eruns right through the centre of Walsall

i pass it almost daily and see the sign on the road bridge but can never quite remember what the name of the canal is

many thanks

Nik

What a fantastic thread - you have all had me enthralled and somewhat masochistically jealous of your arctic endeavours, as i am stuck here in occasionally, sort of, ice bound conditions of house-bound Leicester and would love to be on a boat, either moored up, snug & warm in a back cabin , listening to the ice cracking & rumbling...., breaking and creaking, or forging through, making for a welcoming hostelry with serios intent!

how lucky you are to be on the cut in a 'real' winter. This is how our climate should be in January!!!!!!!!!

Agood 'road' in 2009 to alll.

Dave x

What a fantastic thread - you have all had me enthralled and somewhat masochistically jealous of your arctic endeavours, as i am stuck here in occasionally, sort of, ice bound conditions of house-bound Leicester and would love to be on a boat, either moored up, snug & warm in a back cabin , listening to the ice cracking & rumbling...., breaking and creaking, or forging through, making for a welcoming hostelry with serios intent!

how lucky you are to be on the cut in a 'real' winter. This is how our climate should be in January!!!!!!!!!

Agood 'road' in 2009 to alll.

Dave x

:lol:

A chap we befriended at the Navigation at Wootton walked across the ice on Tuesday night. I wanted to skid on it on my tummy like a penguin but Kev wouldn't let me. Then I wanted to drag Kev home on it like a sled, on his tummy, but he wouldn't let me do that either. :lol:

Seems Kev is JUST NOT FUNNN?right now?

Do not bring him round here - the roads have cleared, more frost to come, but

- OH DEAR -

so sad to say there will be little or no tummy skidding. Maybe shredding?

But does he really deserve that? I doubt it!!

A chap we befriended at the Navigation at Wootton walked across the ice on Tuesday night. I wanted to skid on it on my tummy like a penguin but Kev wouldn't let me. Then I wanted to drag Kev home on it like a sled, on his tummy, but he wouldn't let me do that either. :lol:

Oh, shame! Just think of the wonderful photos that would have made! My hubby MADE me walk on the ice. He held a gun to my head and everything...

Er... ok, no he didn't. He didn't need to - I was straight out there, playing! :lol:

Oh, shame! Just think of the wonderful photos that would have made! My hubby MADE me walk on the ice. He held a gun to my head and everything...

Er... ok, no he didn't. He didn't need to - I was straight out there, playing! :lol:

Yay! Cool. :lol:

Seems Kev is JUST NOT FUNNN?right now?

Do not bring him round here - the roads have cleared, more frost to come, but

- OH DEAR -

so sad to say there will be little or no tummy skidding. Maybe shredding?

But does he really deserve that? I doubt it!!

:lol:

To those whose bits haven't yet frozen and fallen off, it's going to be minus 7 tonite.

it sure is going to be cold, the reding in my car says -2 and its only half six!!

good luck to you all out on the canals (only wish i was there to enjoy it)

Nik

Well it didn't start here on the Kennet, it's -12 outside right now!

Keith.

Amusingly, up here in the (usually) frozen North (ok, Central Belt Forth & Clyde) we've been ice free for a couple of days - though I did have to do more icebreaking than I expected on Thursday to get across the marina to the pump out...

Richard

I'm not sure about the nights during this week as I wasn't on the boat but last night was flippin cold! We came onto the moorings at about 7pm last night and it was just starting to ice over but last night when I came out of the pub at about 12 it was quite thick. This morning, after the cold night it was even thicker.

But, during the day, water is slowly creeping over the ice again even though it hasn't been raining. It has definately gone alot thinner since this morning and is breaking up into large chunks. Its cold out tonight but its not as cold as it has been and it looks as though it's still thawing.

I hope it carries on and thaws soon as we need to go and pick up the Small Northwich butty from Castlefield!

Apparently, it's going to be +10c on Monday !!!!

I don't know what the temperature is here, but it's safe to say that it's currently fooking freezing!

I went up to my club lake today, and it was completely frozen over, and has been for several days, so it looks as like I'm not going to be fishing tomorrow. The nearby canal (Leeds and Liverpool) was also totally iced up. It looked absolutely fabulous though! Apparently the ice isn't visible to ducks, as I saw a drake coming in to land and looking totally flummoxed as it landed on solid ice! I wish I'd remembered to use my phone to capture it, as I can't remember the last time I saw anything as funny as a duck doing somersaults.....

Janet

Our marina is still fully iced up, but that can be an advantage.

I had a bag of tools badly positioned in the back of the car, and when I opened the tailgate, some shot out towards what would normally be a watery grave.

However on this occasion I was simply able to bend down and take them off the surface!

Its reasonably warm here now on the southern GU near Berko. The ice and snow has melted off the tow path today and the ice further south is slowly breaking up, another day or two like this and it will be all back to normal (which is good job as we're about to run out of water !)