Ice

Smelly

Featured Posts

It's definitely less cold this morning - my kitchen slider window opened whereas it has been frozen solid the last two mornings. Now it's snowing quite hard so I suspect we're on the back end of the freeze. I haven't known it so cold as it was by about 10pm yesterday in recent memory - the thermometer read -11C.

Edited by Dominic M

I also recorded a minus 11 degrees as I tried to leave the boat last night having put a half hearted afternoon's work in on the latest project, (boat reasonably warm until you lay on the floor yo fix or measure things :lol: )

I had to abandon putting the front cover over, as it had frozen more or less rigid, and my hands were too cold to pull it straight enough to get the securing elastic over the hooks.

Our Elsan point is not as bad as some, and still flushes, but the tap for the rinse out hose has long since frozen up.

Possibly the dodgiest thing is actually driving around the marina itself, having twice gone into a mild skid, despite thinking I couldn't drive much slower.

We need to move the boat to get the batteries charged, (we don't have any other way), but I can't see it happening for a few days, can you ?

Hi Julian,

Yes we're still here, wont be going far until the ice clears by the looks of it. I've been for a scout round this morning and to empty the porta loo's earlier, Berko and Cowroast elsans are frozen solid so drove down to Apsley and luckily thats all clear so was able to do the honours. We should have enough water for another 7-10 days but seems like it may turn warmer next weekend before we run out. I think this pound may well freeze completely tonight, its half frozen this morning and forecast is minus 5 tonight apparantly.

Les

Didnt freeze last night. I have only seen it frozen once in 15 years and that was when the temp didnt go above 0 for a month, jan 97 or 98 cant remember which, I was down the Aylesbury arm and the ice was 8 inches thick.

It made -11 in Chesham last night.......

Julian

Didnt freeze last night. I have only seen it frozen once in 15 years and that was when the temp didnt go above 0 for a month, jan 97 or 98 cant remember which, I was down the Aylesbury arm and the ice was 8 inches thick.

It made -11 in Chesham last night.......

Julian

I think that 15 year record will stay intact now Julian. Last night was amazing, so cold in the evening then so mild in comparison when we woke up. We had ice on the inside of all the window frames late evening behind the curtains yet it was 16 degress in the same cabin (obviously good insulators these double lined curtains lol). By morning not a drop of ice left anywhere, even outside of the windows were clear. I cant remember a colder evening though, must have been 10 below here.

Oh dear, looks like I'm going driving all around the county with a boot full of poo in search of unfrozen Elsans :lol:

Never a dull moment on the cut

D

If your anywhere near Apsley thats the place to head for around here, the elsan room has a radiator and it was quite warm in the yesterday lol

I think that 15 year record will stay intact now Julian. Last night was amazing, so cold in the evening then so mild in comparison when we woke up. We had ice on the inside of all the window frames late evening behind the curtains yet it was 16 degress in the same cabin (obviously good insulators these double lined curtains lol). By morning not a drop of ice left anywhere, even outside of the windows were clear. I cant remember a colder evening though, must have been 10 below here.

If your anywhere near Apsley thats the place to head for around here, the elsan room has a radiator and it was quite warm in the yesterday lol

-6 at bed time and 0 at 7 AM today. It only got up to + 2.5 but the ice has started to go.

It was minus 11 degrees whwn I left the marina last night, but plus one degree at a similar time tonight.

The difference was staggering, as I got the boat locked and covered with ease, but last night couldn't "bend" the front cover or stretch elastic ties enough to get it fitted.

It still hasn't made much impression on the ice around the boat though, as my son discovered when he tried breaking some of it up. It's still a good 2 cms thick in most places, so I can't see any boats flexing their muscles just yet.

I'm also surprised that after heating the boat every day since the snow arrived, there is still quite a bit on the roof. In fact there have been a few light flurries again today.

Alan

We had ice on the inside of all the window frames late evening behind the curtains yet it was 16 degress in the same cabin (obviously good insulators these double lined curtains lol). By morning not a drop of ice left anywhere, even outside of the windows were clear.

We had just the same!!!! Got home from work and knew that there had been a sudden drop in temp. About 9 ish the dogs had their evening walk and at the same time I had a check round the boat and found that all the window frames had ice on the inside, even the one above the radiator and the one right next to the 'Old Dutch'. Thought this was really odd because we were lovely and toasty. In the morning ( 6am ), the boat was deffinately iced in solid because there was no movement at all, but strangly enough, all the ice on the windows had gone.

At least we were nice and warm, last year (pre Christmas) we were travelling through March to Ely in ice - WITH NO HEATING!!! Happy memories! :lol:

Are you really Moomin Papa?

Of course. Look at my Avatar. The hat gives it away.

I love the Moomins. I'm alot like Sniff in many ways. Occasionally I'm like Snufkin but mostly like Sniff.

Being Moomin Papa, I am normally saintly, but on my occasional grumpy days, I definitely have Hemulenic tendencies.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

And it looks as though the rest of the week is set to remain frozen - minus 5 degrees tonight in the Midlands is forecast. If you really have to move the biggest difficulty is getting the boat to go round a corner. If you have a bowthruster don't use it as there is chance you will smash the blades with the ice. What I have done in the past, if I had to move, was to go through the laborious process of smashing the ice around the boat with a pole.

Anyone out there with a nearly full pump out loo?

yep just dropped the last lump in,just been to get some scented bin bags :lol: