GENERATOR

MAIZEE

Featured Posts

PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES FOR BRINGING THIS TOPIC UP.

i am sure your all fed up with it so with this in mind can someone just tell me what size generator do we need for a liveaboard with all the usual refinements.

Thank you

Lois

You don't. You need an inverter. Generators are far to noisy to be used on boats.

Sue

PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES FOR BRINGING THIS TOPIC UP.

i am sure your all fed up with it so with this in mind can someone just tell me what size generator do we need for a liveaboard with all the usual refinements.

Thank you

Lois

We don't liveaboard but do holiday for extended periods and have a 4KW built in generator, with this we can run the washer/drier/vac/etc as long as we run them one at a time.

If I lived aboard, especially if I didn't have a landline, I would try to stretch to a 6KW generator and if I had somewhere to put it (roomwise) I would go for a 1500rpm version too, because they are so much quieter and less stressed - they're not cheap though. A bigger genny allows you to charge your batteries at the same time as say washing or whatever.

Your question is so dependant on your lifestyle and what you want that you need to give more information.

You don't. You need an inverter. Generators are far to noisy to be used on boats.

Sue

Of course a Honda silent generator can often be much quieter than having to run (and wear out) your boat engine, to keep your batteries charged, to drive your inverter.

It's all a matter of opinion and, personally, I've never used my means of propulsion as a battery charger, except when underway.

Hi Maizee

As has been said it depends on your requirements etc.

Our boat will be a liveaboard (CCing) and will be all electric (cooking, washer/dryer), that is having an inverter and a 7Kw generator.

Of course a Honda silent generator can often be much quieter than having to run (and wear out) your boat engine, to keep your batteries charged, to drive your inverter.

It's all a matter of opinion and, personally, I've never used my means of propulsion as a battery charger, except when underway.

That is exactly what we do with our Honda EU 20i - having said that our cabin batteries are shot after only three years use . . . :lol:

Edited to add that our little and relatively quiet Honda is extremely economical and during the last two years, the running costs have averaged £0.40 an hour. I just wonder what a 7 KVA generator might cost to run and maintain?

Edited by NB Alnwick

the running costs have averaged £0.40 an hour.

I just wonder what a 7 KVA generator might cost to run and maintain?

Thats good, must be running at a low load.

1.5L of oil every 100 hours

.4L per Kwh is the spec

Our 6kva will run for about 10 hours on 3/4 ish (12-14 amps) load or 20 hours or more on 1/4 load on a 20L tank.

Justme

We have lived on board for 20yrs and never had a generator. We found an electrical lead to connect to the mains at the last turn out and gave it to wrg as we had never used it.

And no I don't lead a hippy lifestyle as has been suggested before. We just don't have much need for electricity.

Sue

We have lived on board for 20yrs and never had a generator. We found an electrical lead to connect to the mains at the last turn out and gave it to wrg as we had never used it.

And no I don't lead a hippy lifestyle as has been suggested before. We just don't have much need for electricity.

Sue

Out of curiosity, just wondering how you power your laptop/PC?

Out of curiosity, just wondering how you power your laptop/PC?

I'm not Sue but I charge mine while the engine is running and then use it on battery power. in the Summer when we cruise for longer days (at the moment we are stuck in a marina waiting to get in the paint dock) the inverter is on 24/7 so no problem, no land line and no genny

12v. I use a maplins gizmo to give 19v. I have a gas fridge

Sue

I'd like to thank everyone for the very varied posts. That was all veryinteresting.

The NB has an electric fridge, washer and dryer. A gas cooker and the deisel heating.

i understand that if i wanted to run the washer or dryer i would need to run the engine.or it would be best to run the engine..is that right. other than that if we had runthe engine for an hour or so all other electrics would be fine.

In your opinions why do people have a generator if they have a 2.5 inverter onboard.

Just wondering if we need one at all...

Lois thanks so much.

I'd like to thank everyone for the very varied posts. That was all veryinteresting.

The NB has an electric fridge, washer and dryer. A gas cooker and the deisel heating.

i understand that if i wanted to run the washer or dryer i would need to run the engine.or it would be best to run the engine.

It would be best to run the engine when using the washer or dryer, your battery bank will not cope..

is that right. other than that if we had run the engine for an hour or so all other electrics would be fine.

I doubt very much that running your engine for an hour would be enough, depending on your usage it maybe eight hours to recharge the batteries to 100%.

In your opinions why do people have a generator if they have a 2.5 inverter onboard.

Just wondering if we need one at all... You may not it will depend on your usage.

Lois thanks so much.

Horses for courses.

We use a 2 kw inverter - that's 2 kw peak - 1.2 kw constant. Bog standard modified sine wave. Works everything fine - tv dvd, fridge freezer, computers etc, and either 1) electric kettle (720w) or 2) hair drier on low heat (around the same wattage) or high heat for a few minutes (limited by battery power not inverter ability) or 3) hoover.

For running the washer / tumble (2.2 kw) we run a diesel gen set at 2.5kw. As the washer only peaks at the 2.2 when it is starting to turn the drum it all works very well.

Any gen set that is over 3.5 kva (appx 13 amps) should run any one domestic item no problem as 13 amp is all a mains plug is fused at. running more than one would of course mean needing a bigger gen set. Howver - with a little care you should be able to avoid 'conflicting loads'.

Our cheap 'n' cheefull 700w 2 stroke gen hasn't got enough ooomph to run our battery charger so hasn't been used in yonks.

i understand that if i wanted to run the washer or dryer i would need to run the engine.or it would be best to run the engine..is that right. other than that if we had runthe engine for an hour or so all other electrics would be fine.

Whenever possible we use the generator for high power items (microwave/iron/vac/washer etc) and even then we still run the main engine for at least an hour and half a day(95 amp alternator)

Given that you said.

liveaboard with all the usual refinements.

Its unlikely you would get away with an hour a day of main engine running, especially so if using a large inverter. You also haven't mentioned the other essential electrical items such as lights/pumps/iron. Then there are desirable items such as TV/radio/computer/microwave/washer etc.

For a liveaboard (assuming you have no landline) the complete electricity charging/generation/storage system is probably the single most important item and whatever set up one has depends entirely on how one uses the boat.

Have a search for energy audits as this will explain much to you.

Thankyou to both of you, that has really made sense and i feel much more confident although this has sparked another question.

Any gen set that is over 3.5 kva (appx 13 amps) should run any one domestic item no problem as 13 amp is all a mains plug is fused at. running more than one would of course mean needing a bigger gen set. Howver - with a little care you should be able to avoid 'conflicting loads'.

does this mean the domestic item needs to be plugged directly into the gen? sorry if this is stupid, now i am scared, but we thought that the land line/elec hook up plugged into the gen.

Also i saw a gen for sale and it said DIGITAL 3.6K.. SILENT GEN WITH INVERTOR...DO THEY ALL HAVE INVERTORS...DO WE NEED ONE WITH AN INVERTOR?

I'm not really thick just havn't dealt with gen's at all and hubby hasn't dealt with computers, probably making a big thing out of nothing....sorry guys.

Lois

does this mean the domestic item needs to be plugged directly into the gen? sorry if this is stupid, now i am scared, but we thought that the land line/elec hook up plugged into the gen.

Also i saw a gen for sale and it said DIGITAL 3.6K.. SILENT GEN WITH INVERTOR...DO THEY ALL HAVE INVERTORS...DO WE NEED ONE WITH AN INVERTOR?

Never plug directly into a generator - although you would usualy use the landline socket there are other implications, for safety it is essential you speak to an electrician and have him/her check your set up first.

The inverter in an inverter generator is part of its workings and is there to provide a clean output. It has nothing to do with the inverter in your boat.

Edited by david and julie

Lois (Maizee)

I will try a little explanation, that may confuse you more, there are three ways of supplying 240v to the items aboard.

1. Landline, extension cable from post on land.

2. inverter, supplied from batteries on board.

3. Generator, can be stand alone or attached to propulsion engine.

All wiring on boat returns to a distribution (fuse) box, this is the in turn connected by a changeover switch to any of the three above. Only one at a time.

1. will probably be limited to a maximum of 16amps (approximatly 3.5Kw). No limitation on the amount of time it is available.

2. limited by the inverter size but is also limited in time usage by the size of the battery bank.

3. limited by generator size, some limitation in time, depends on the size of fuel tank and time of day (BW guidance only run between 08.00Hrs and 20.00Hrs)

1. will run any 'mains' equipment up to size allowed by the supply, some supplies are limited to below 16amps.

2. should run anything up to the size of the inverter continuous load but at maximum will possibly only be available for minutes at that load before battery bank is flat.

3. will run any equipment up to its continuous load as long as it has a fuel supply.

Sue

Your personal views on generators are quite evident from your previous posts (no offence meant). I can't imagine anyone really likes the sound of generators, but if you live aboard, without a landline, and don't cruise regularly, you need some way of charging your batteries. Realistically, even if you have a good solar system and/or are frugal with electricity usage (and everyone should be), that means either your boat engine or a seperate generator. How do you charge yours?

It should be obvious, but it must be understood that inverters don't generate any electricity, they are not a source of power and in that way they are fundametally different from generators.

Lois (Maizee)

I will try a little explanation, that may confuse you more, there are three ways of supplying 240v to the items aboard.

1. Landline, extension cable from post on land.

2. inverter, supplied from batteries on board.

3. Generator, can be stand alone or attached to propulsion engine.

All wiring on boat returns to a distribution (fuse) box, this is the in turn connected by a changeover switch to any of the three above. Only one at a time.

1. will probably be limited to a maximum of 16amps (approximatly 3.5Kw). No limitation on the amount of time it is available.

2. limited by the inverter size but is also limited in time usage by the size of the battery bank.

3. limited by generator size, some limitation in time, depends on the size of fuel tank and time of day (BW guidance only run between 08.00Hrs and 20.00Hrs)

1. will run any 'mains' equipment up to size allowed by the supply, some supplies are limited to below 16amps.

2. should run anything up to the size of the inverter continuous load but at maximum will possibly only be available for minutes at that load before battery bank is flat.

3. will run any equipment up to its continuous load as long as it has a fuel supply.

Thank you again,

I am now fully understanding, due to this info we are not going to rush to buy a generator but wait until we get the boat, hopefully a week on fri and see how we go. We won't be moving on full time until our house is sold so we can assess without ending up in the lurch.

My greatest thanks to all who took the time to offer advice.

Lois

Your personal views on generators are quite evident from your previous posts (no offence meant). I can't imagine anyone really likes the sound of generators, but if you live aboard, without a landline, and don't cruise regularly, you need some way of charging your batteries. Realistically, even if you have a good solar system and/or are frugal with electricity usage (and everyone should be), that means either your boat engine or a seperate generator. How do you charge yours?

It should be obvious, but it must be understood that inverters don't generate any electricity, they are not a source of power and in that way they are fundametally different from generators.

We cruise and can go at least a week without running our engine. Maybe some are choosing the wrong lifestyle.

Sue

12v. I use a maplins gizmo to give 19v. I have a gas fridge

Sue

I use the same thing. It works a treat.

I also agree with Graham and Carlt. I run an EU20 for about an hour a day via a 40 amp stirling charger. This time of year I have the fridge switched off and use an external larder in the cockpit. My demand is fairly low (lights, 2-3 hours a day tele, and the obvious pumps)

Obviously as soon as you bring high demand kit in to the equation like washing machines etc, your going to need large generators/engine alternators and long charging times

We dont really go on the boat when its not running

- so the draw of the elec fridge and lights etc arnt an issue day-to-day, and then a small inverter for the laptop (or fairy lgihts..)

Then we have a 240v Eu1000 petrol genset for running power tools, for working on the boat and fluing the boiler, or if we're moored up long.

I would like to be able to take the genset off during summer, and be able to run the powertools of an inverter, but there not cheap for what they are.

Otherwise if i was living on, without shore power, i would get the genset setup on gas installed in its own locker somewhere i think

Only battle then is the problem of geting good battery charging from a genset.,

Daniel